[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Translation help

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

File: the fall.jpg (273KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
the fall.jpg
273KB, 1600x900px
In British English, is it "in autumn" or "in the autumn"?

I know it's "in the fall" in American English but I'm not sure which is more common in British English. Britfags plz hlp.

>we go on long walks in the forest in autumn
>we go on long walks in the forest in the autumn

>aunt Hilda makes elderberry and apple cider in autumn
>aunt Hilda makes elderberry and apple cider in the autumn

>gardeners grow pumpkins in autumn to make Halloween decorations
>gardeners grow pumpkins in the autumn to make Halloween decorations
>>
>>276326
Have you checked this?
http://sentence.yourdictionary.com/autumn
>>
>>276327
I did not know this resource and checked WordReference English/French dictionary but couldn't come to a conclusion.

That said, the page you link to mostly has examples of autumn used as an adjective ("the autumn leaves, an autumn night") or used with a year in which case the definite article is obviously needed ("the autumn of 1971"). There's one example of "in autumn", one example of "in the autumn", plus one "autumn has begun". I can't conclude, need help from British English speakers, sorry :(
>>
>>276327
That doesn't address the question at all.

>>276326
They're both grammatical, but there's nuance. "In the autumn" connotes habitual behaviour: when it is autumn, this thing usually happens because it is autumn; "In autumn" just connotes that *if* this thing happens, it usually happens in the autumn.

"In the autumn" --> being autumn means this will (usually) happen
"In autumn" --> this happening means it will (usually) be autumn

>aunt Hilda makes elderberry and apple cider in autumn
This would be a caption describing a photograph of aunt Hilda; she's making cider and it happens that it's autumn.
>aunt Hilda makes elderberry and apple cider in the autumn
This is a statement about what aunt Hilda does habitually: when it is autumn, aunt Hilda makes cider.

>gardeners grow pumpkins in autumn to make Halloween decorations
The time gardeners that grow pumpkins grow pumpkins is autumn
>gardeners grow pumpkins in the autumn to make Halloween decorations
In autumn, something most gardeners do is grow pumpkins
>>
>>276333
Thanks a lot anon, it's that nuance I wasn't able to perceive

So leaves turn red and fall in the autumn, because it's an habitual, recurrent behavior, but they could also do the same thing in autumn, because if they do turn red and fall, it usually happens at that time of the year.

However I would not go hunting with my uncle in the autumn, because I do so infrequently and not every year. Instead, I would go hunting with him in autumn, because the rare times I do, it happens during hunting season (autumn).
>>
>>276370
Nailed it.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.