[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What do I do if the name of a file is too fucking long?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 7

File: 1387440927297.png (543KB, 816x720px) Image search: [Google]
1387440927297.png
543KB, 816x720px
What do I do if the name of a file is too fucking long?
>>
File: hhh.jpg (22KB, 1260x19px) Image search: [Google]
hhh.jpg
22KB, 1260x19px
it doesnt give me the option to change it's name btw
>>
>>273284
post pic
>>
File: rhh.jpg (16KB, 439x185px) Image search: [Google]
rhh.jpg
16KB, 439x185px
>>273287
>>
File: Capture.png (18KB, 363x522px)
Capture.png
18KB, 363x522px
>>273283
Right click go to file properties and rename the file. I'm aware some files are too long and for some reason Windows doesn't allow file renaming.

Since its a music file you can always use MP3Tag to rename the file.
http://www.mp3tag.de/en/

If you want something for just file renaming you can also use Advanced File Renamer. Comes in handy if you want to rename a batch of files.
https://www.advancedrenamer.com/

Tip: Don't swear in your request description.
>>
>>273317
thanks but neither of those worked
>>
>>273283
i dont understand really but when i have this problem i create a folder directly on c called 1, then the directory isn't long so i can have longer file names
>>
>>273325
Hmm one of these should have worked. Could you upload the file? I dont have any files on my PC with really long file names to test out any methods.

Sometimes I would rename files opening them in 7zip or Winrar. Under its file explorer find the file and rename it. There is a way how to rename files using command prompt but you would have to look that up.
>>
>>273330
Yeah. Some length limits on windows apply to the entire path, not just the filename. Try moving it to a different folder.
>>
File: Capture.png (48KB, 1211x656px)
Capture.png
48KB, 1211x656px
>>273332
Meant to add this pic
>>
File: 1455821431523.jpg (175KB, 894x894px)
1455821431523.jpg
175KB, 894x894px
>>273332
>Sometimes I would rename files opening them in 7zip or Winrar.
It actually worked. based anon
>>
>>273317
>Tip: Don't swear in your request description.
What the fuck?
Fuck off kid.
>>
>>273346
I'm basically saying if you want people to take your request seriously dont swear in them. You sound like a child posting idiot comments like that. lol. I mean I didn't have to help OP. I could have just said this guy is an idiot that cant google his issue and moved on.

Tip: Don't get upset when someone gives you good advice.
>>
>>273357
This isn't reddit, brother. I don't know where you get that notion but if I have the knowledge to oblige someone's request, I'm not gonna skip over them just because they cussed, and most people here would as well. Nobody cares about your personal peeves
>>
>>273357

Tip: people that think theyve given great advice usually havn't
>>
i tend to just cut the files onto the c: drive, renaming them there and then move them back into place (most of the times is just a single lonely file)
if they have unallowed characters/strings in their name or absolute location then i need to rename\delete it using the "special" syntax (posix?!? unc?!?)
>del \\?\c:\blah\blahblah.blah

>>273365
fucking underrated post
>>
>>273413
That's just another method.

OPs issue was solved a long time ago.>>273336
I would have mentioned that method first if I assumed everyone had Winrar or 7zip installed. It should have worked with the other programs I listed.

Programs like MP3Tag are the reason some music files end up with long file names. MP3Tag uses the metadata to write the file name. However this same program can also undo long file names for music files.

Advanced Renamer requires the person to create a script first.

>>273361
I go on this board a lot to answer peoples questions. I filter through all the bonehead requests. I would say a majority of the threads on here the person has made no actual attempt in solving their own issue before coming on here. The only thing I request is that they dont swear it shows mutual respect. Not sure what cultural background you are from but I wouldn't want to be a part of it.

Enjoy a board where South Americans think its cool to swear because he sees idiots like you doing it. >>273289

Well I'm done with my rant. I just wanted to show I do place though behind my posts and its not some idiot posting solutions with no though behind them.
>>
>>273445
>The only thing I request is that they dont swear it shows mutual respect. Not sure what cultural background you are from but I wouldn't want to be a part of it.
It's my fond hope you fuck off to a safe space on reddit and take your prudery with you.
>>
>>273445
was about to reply but read >>273453 and i couldnt have word it in a better way

>no one demanded nothing from you
>no one has broken any rules
>dont like it, leave
>>
>>273283

Are you on windows? Open de command line (cmd.exe) and navigate to the folder containing the file. Or just paste the file on the root directory of D:\ or whatever for more ease.

Type "rename 0" (that's a zero) and hit TAB. The command line will automatically fill the rest of the file name. If there are more than one file starting with zero, hit tab repeateadly until you get the one you're looking for.

After that your command line should look something like this:

> rename "02 a bunch of characters.mp3"

Just type shortname.mp3 at the end:

> rename "02 a bunch of characters.mp3" shortname.mp3

And hit enter. You should have changed the name of the file.

Before you do this, though. Right click on the file and click on Properties and check that the file isn't on READ ONLY. I suspect that is the reason you can't rename in the first place.
>>
>>273357
yeah and you look like a fucking prick, stop with this censorship before someone beats your goddamn head in, ya shitlord
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.