[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Scythe Mugen 5 & i7 7700k Temperatures

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

Yesterday I built my PC and I believe the temperatures are to high on the CPU.

Room temperature is ~20C or just below

CPU idle: 33 C
System idle: 28 C
Vcore: 1.184
Fan RPM: 303

CPU stress test 81 C (tested for 3 or 4 minutes with prime95 small fft)

CPU fan settings for RPM as a percentage of max are:

38% at 55 C
63% at 70 C
100% at 100 C

While I was building my rig and was quite far in to it my CPU cooler shifted, for some reason it got loose and I just shifted it quickly back and tightened it some more. I got scared in to not tightening it to much by reading different tips online. I'm not really experienced at building PC and I have little thermal paste left, so before I try to reset the cooler I'd like to know if this is bad, because it seems way to high. I'd like to note that my PC tends to be used for more then 7 years, so I care about low temps to increase longevity.

I have three 120 mm intake fans and I tested it with and without my front panel, without the temperatures were 79 C during the stress test.

Thanks in advance.
>>
I see no problem with it being at a temperature like that. But if I was you I would just bump up the fan settings to around 45% at 55, 70% at 70 and 100% at 100.
>>
Thanks for the replay, I tried that but the temps stayed the same. What temperatures should I be expecting, my own research indicates around 70 degrees at stress testing.
>>
Temperatures may be higher at first. Stress it for some time (give it a week with stressing it a few hours a day everyday) and if temps won't go down significantly, you may consider setting it up again.
>>
>>261479
Ok I'll try, but is 70 C with P95 stress test reasonable you think?
>>
>>261446
That's not even remotely right.

Your processor is 91W; my processor is 80W. My processor is using stock cooling, and my processor doesn't get that hot. Your processor will be topping out at 80 degrees because it's disabling Turbo Boost and clocking down.

>>261446
>for some reason it got loose and I just shifted it quickly back and tightened it some more. I got scared in to not tightening it to much by reading different tips online
Ignore these stupid people. Coolers are held down by spring-clips, and the screws need to be torqued down all the way for the spring clip to do its job properly. If they're really hard to torque down, you're doing something wrong and need to read the instructions again.

What you need to do now is take the cooler off, clean everything up, apply the thermal paste according to the instructions, and then fit the cooler correctly, torquing the screws fully and in the correct order. In general, if you balls up fitting a cooler, you need to take it off, clean everything up, and start again. You don't get a second shot with thermal compound.
>>
>>261486
Thanks for the reply, on another forum someone recommended using P95 26.6 instead of P95 28.5 and using the older version my max temp was 70 C.

70 C is fine, but I'm confused as to which one to trust. I'll probably do what you said, but still.
>>
>>261486
This.
Good and tight contact is paramount for good temperatures, no cooling solution can work well without it.
>>
>>261490
>I'm confused as to which one to trust.
You use whichever one produces the higher temperature, because the only way to produce a lower temperature is to not work the processor as hard.

Obviously if you're comparing results you'd use the same version, but you're not doing that.
>>
>>261496
I guess that makes sense, thanks.
>>
Wait sorry but this is what they guy in another forum said:

The instruction set in builds after 26.6 doesn't play well with CPUs after SB. Causes the voltage to schiz out resulting in much higher temps. And even 26.6 puts stress on the CPU that is far beyond anything you will ever do. All is good in your world.
>>
>>261505
Doesn't matter: if Prime95 can do that, so can any game, or in fact any process that runs the processor in the "wrong" way.

With a turbo-boost processor your cooling needs to be able to cope with a worst-case load, or it'll make it slow down whenever one comes along.
>>
>>261505
Plus there are real-world applications such as FFMPEG that aren't benchmarks but still run all cores in a tight loop exactly like Prime95 does.
>>
These people had Temperatures up to 100 C with a NXTZ Kraken X61

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/intel-core-i7-7700k-kaby-lake-review/1100-6446489/
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.