[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey wsr Need some advice. Messing around with older computers

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: 26srt.png.jpg (110KB, 615x469px)
26srt.png.jpg
110KB, 615x469px
Hey wsr

Need some advice. Messing around with older computers lately and I have this one that I'm swapping out the components for to upgrade it. Different CPU, Mobo and RAM. As was to be expected, it's broken, as in it gets to "Starting Windows" then just restarts back to BIOS.

I went from Core 2 Quad Q8400/4GB DDR2 to Core i5 2500K/8GB DDR3.

My question is, is there any way for me to recover startup without having to reformat the drive? I just installed Windows recently have a bunch of programs and games on it now. I tried startup repair which didn't work.

Danke
>>
>>258583
Put all your old shit back in again, then do this: http://triplescomputers.com/blog/uncategorized/solution-switch-windows-10-from-raidide-to-ahci-operation/

And in step 3-4, instead of just changing your IDE settings, put your new motherboard in.
>>
>>258583
(though you might have fucked it by using startup repair. This is why you make backups.)
>>
>>258591
Hey thanks a lot anon, I'll give this a try. I'm currently backing up the data on that hdd. Worst comes to worst, I'll just reinstall windows and then I have all the actual data from the HDD anyway, so I don't have to re-download the big stuff.

I'll post back here to let you know what happens.
>>
>>258596
dont know if this helps
acronis has a universal restore when you make a clone, restore the image back on the drive using universal restore and itll go back without any drivers
>>
>>258591
So I booted back into Windows on all the old hardware, no issues. I did what the guide said, to force a safe mode boot. Then I switched the HDD into the new setup and it does come up with a different screen with white text that shows it loading a bunch of Windows files, then it just restarts and says it failed, do I want to start normally or go into repair.

Does that basically mean I have no real choice but to reinstall at this point? My guess is that it's just too different. Totally different ram, cpu architecture and mainly, different mobo chipset.

>>258597
I'm going to try this now as a final step before wiping the drive.
>>
>>258597
Seems like that would be perfect, but from what I can tell, you have to buy another Acronis product in order to get this. I don't really want to torrent it here and Warez-bb isn't really any help since the fall of megaupload; all of the download links are always either, you pay, or you download at 75KBps, which would take a few hours.
>>
>>258619
You can also try manually replacing the device drivers with generic ones: http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2007/09/how-to-install-a-new-motherboard-without-reinstalling-windows/

You can also also try using a Windows setup disk to run rebuildbcd (load windows setup and press shift-f10 to get a command prompt).

You should probably make sure both your motherboards are using the same settings for AHCI-vs-IDE and PCBIOS-vs-UEFI, but if none of that fixes it you might be SOL.
>>
Thanks for all the help guys. In end, nothing really worked. The original computer is a used Lenovo with a legit Windows key so I think it was wishful thinking that it would go properly.

I actually used the full system recovery discs I created a while ago which actually wipe the whole drive and install the OS fresh from factory, but it obviously has the drivers and everything from the original config so it was still broken. I ended up using an iso I had of a fresh install and it's going well now. I just backed up the whole drive and now I'm manually pulling files I want from that. Stupid me though, I copied the whole entire root directory, but I must have somehow accidentally deselected the users folder before copying because it never came through. Lost all of my game saves, but hey, it could be worse.

Thanks for the help though.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.