[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

LAPTOP HELP

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 1

File: image.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
/g/ sent me here.

Looking for help troubleshooting this issue with my laptop. It was running fine yesterday, but when I opened it up today the screen was all fucked up like pic related.

I'm very limited on tech knowledge so please bear with me. the laptop is over 5 years old and had a lot of overheating issues so I was thinking it could either be the gfx card is fried or the motherboard is fried.

I'm most concerned with just getting a lot of my files off the computer, so if someone can reassure me that that is likely possible despite the screen being fucked it would really put me at ease. I really can't afford to lose all my college stuff on here. Thanks all.
>>
>>257193
thats graphics related
hdd is fine
i used to fix these but it would take stripping it down to the board and heating the board up either in a oven or as i used a heat gun, but its a patch not a fix the longest one lasted was a year after and ive had em break the next day, its time for a new one, this was a design flaw in some laptops around 5 to 7 years ago, it was because of the solderless solder use instead of normal solder, thats about all i know about it
>>
>>257204
If I connected to an external display would it operate?

Really all I want to do is get my files off it so I don't lose everything. That is my one and only concern. I can't afford to lose all of my hard drive.

I realize I probably sound like a retard but I'm not a tech person at all.
>>
>>257208
As long as you dont format the drive you should still be able to keep your files.
You can access the files using an external 2.5 drive reader or dock.

If its like this person said>>257204
Your better of buying a new laptop, there is no quick fix or stable fix.
>>
>>257208
you could plug the hdd directly into a tower or
>>257213
>>
OP Here

Somehow I restarted it again and the screen is fine. Not sure how long this will last so I'm going to back up all my files while I can.

What is the best free online storage? Gonna do that or run to Best Buy for an external drive
>>
>>257193

>laptop
>overheating
>hp

Yep, HP suddenly forgot how to design cooling ducts for their laptops and this is all too familiar. Your mobo got cooked. There really is no solution other than replacing the mobo, but you're stuck with the same shit ducting and cooling system.

>muh files

Like the other Anon said, buy a cradle and stick the hdd into a tower.
>>
>>257218
mega.nz is 50gb but there is use limit now i beleive so much data every 8 hrs again i'm not sure

make multiple gmail accounts 15gb each one and use google drive to dop them into

also if it is running ive had that to, get the fans cleaned out with a compressor or canned air as fast as you can and if you can get someone to repaste the processor bonus
>>
>>257218
Google drive is 15GB

Ive never used this site however its advertises 100GB free.
https://degoo.com/>>257218

>>257218
If your laptop is not stable your still better off buying a 2.5 drive reader. Then plug that drive to a stable laptop/pc. Your files are safe as long as you dont format the drive.
>>
Got about 10 minute of usage until it started shitting the bed again. This is so fucking annoying.

Any good information about removing my hard drive and backing up or copying the files somewhere else?
>>
>>257236
use a screwdriver and reread the thread
>>
>>257239
Sorry I'm in a panic, thanks for your help man it's really appreciated
>>
>>257241
i suggest you ring that friend that thinks he's a whizz on computers and let him be the hero he so wants to be
>>
>>257246
If I had friends I wouldn't be on 4chins m8 :(
>>
>>257249
the feels
>>
>>257250
You have links to suggestions on 2.5 drive readers? Not really sure what I'm looking at here and what's shit and what's quality, if there even is a difference.
>>
>>257250
>>257253
https://www.walmart.com/reviews/product/35118076?reviews_limit=10&reviewId=topid

Something like this? Reviews seem good
>>
>>257255
they are hit and miss whether they work or not
try
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1311.R3.TR11.TRC1.A0.H0.X2.5+hdd.TRS0&_nkw=2.5+hdd+enclosure&_sacat=0

i wouldnt pay more that $10 but that might be different i live in uk
>>
>>257259
and with these you can use the old hdd as a external more readily
>>
right i'm off to bed good luck
>>
>>257262
Thanks m8 :)
>>
>>257219
You can use the laptop indefinitely. Just remove the driver for the discrete GPU, and then use Group Policy to blacklist it.
>>
>>257236
You're a prime candidate for Dropbox.

Just install it, and show it where you keep all your college shit. It'll keep backing them up in the background, and that will save your ass when you fuck something up.
>>
>>257284

It's a hardware issue. The mobo has been cooked, bad joints all over the place, that's why a reflow works for a while.
>>
>>257284
Lol, that's the worst advice I've seen on / wsr/
>>
>>257286
This is you isn't it
>>257284
I say no more
>>
>>257294
Bad solder joints only happen on BGA components, and primarily happen on BGA components that generate significant heat. They don't happen on SIPs, because the solder completely melts and forms a fillet during the initial place-n-bake.

Now your common or garden laptop has one (1) or zero (0) BGA parts that meet these criteria, and that's the discrete GPU, if present. The processor doesn't suffer from this problem, as it's in a mechanically-retained processor socket.

Remove the drivers and blacklist the device, and the discrete GPU never starts. It can't fuck your graphics up because it's not doing anything. It can't crash your OS, because it's not doing anything. Exactly as if you shoved a PCIe card in kinda most of the way, then never tried to use it. Every laptop supports the GPU not being present, either through a built-in display switcher (core2-era), or by running the IGP full-time and blitting the output from the discrete GPU into its framebuffer (Sandy Bridge and later). In both cases, no GPU, no problem (though in the former you have to select whichever GPU actually works in the BIOS or you won't see anything).

But enough theory: this works, I've done it, and we can tell you're talking out your arse because the best you can come up with is "you're a doodoo-head".

If the laptop had 'bad joints all over the place', it wouldn't be running perfectly except for a fucked-up display, it would be bluescreened, switching off, or on fire. This is clearly the GPU, and the problem can be solved by removing the GPU.
>>
>>257306
That's a lot of words some of them look big to, good for you, I ain't reading it, it's all yada yada yada my family thinks I'm great because I can reinstall and dazzle them with shit I read, basically you have to be right no matter what, talk him thru it then oh great one
>>
>>257309
Oh and yes that works for high end laptop with a independent GPU and a processor based GPU also
>>
>>257309
Okidokey.

1) go to Device Manager, right-click the display adapter with "ATI", "AMD" or "Nvidia" in the name
2) click "uninstall"
3) check the box marked "delete driver", and press "ok"
4) turn off your wifi switch to block windows update until you're finished
5) reboot, and when the device comes back and asks for a driver, don't install a driver for it, and disable it.
6) If you're on Windows 7, you're done. If you're 8.1 or 10, you need to use Group Policy Editor to forbid installing a driver for the device, or Windows will "fix" the problem for you. See https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/2007.06.grouppolicy.aspx for a walkthrough.

Some laptops let you disable the GPU in the BIOS, which makes the PCI device disappear and avoids having to do all this, but most of them you need to get into the super-secred "advanced" settings. This can be as simple as pressing ctrl-f2, or as complicated as flashing a hacked BIOS.
>>
>>257310
Keep up: IGPs don't display symptoms like these because they're IN THE FUCKING PROCESSOR.

If your processor somehow has bad joints, your computer won't boot, will it?
>>
>>257315
he didn't mention bad joints, he said a secondary gpu built into the processor, this is basically what you're doing but not on a 5 year old mid range laptop
>>
>>257315
Stop making my phone beep I've had enough of your babble
>>
>>257319
The "joints" between the IGP and the CPU itself can't fail because they're the same die (except for the original core i, where they were two dies on the same package). This leaves the CPU socket, and if the CPU socket has a bad joint, you're not going to see graphical corruption, you're going to see a nonfunctional system. Primarily because the IGP accesses its memory using the exact same pins and hardware the CPU uses to access its memory.

Discrete GPUs are way more common than you think, especially when you look at the solderballs era when integrated graphics was far worse than it is now. Most 17" laptops had them, and that sure looks like a 17" laptop.

But there's no need for speculation: if the IGP was broken, the CPU would be broken too.
>>
>>257320
>watching the thread just to get bootyblasted
wew lad
>>
>>257322
On a 5 year old mid range laptop, a 5 year old laptop, keep saying that till it sinks in
>>
>>257326
Doesn't matter. Eliminate the impossible, and take whatever's left.

If the IGP were broken, the CPU would be broken. The CPU is not broken, therefore the IGP is not broken. The graphics are broken, but the IGP is not broken, therefore there must be a GPU, and it must be broken.

You'd have a point if you were talking about a Core-M or Pentium 4 laptop where the integrated graphics was in the northbridge, but laptops haven't been built that way ever since they started calling them "core i".
>>
>>257330
Dude you really know what ya talking about, you talk the guy thru this brilliant fix and i'll come back in a few hours and sincerely apologise
>>
>>257332
Already did.

Literally all you do is disable the drivers for the discrete GPU, and bob's your proverbial. Watch this thread for the results.
>>
From what I gathered the machine is pretty much shot. My next move is just to remove the hdd and copy the files using a 2.5 hdd reader or enclosure. If anyone has suggestions on good ones to buy I would love to hear it since I've never been on the market for one.

>>257313
Thanks for the explanation but I really can't risk going through that fix when the system isn't stable. Like I said I'm not a tech person so I'm playing it safe. Thanks for the help though.
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.