[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

laptop audio problems

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: 1461475245164.gif (3MB, 222x379px) Image search: [Google]
1461475245164.gif
3MB, 222x379px
Has anyone ever encountered a problem like this?

So I got a free laptop that my grandma wasn't using it. Wanted to give to my gf as she only ever uses her laptop to torrent movies and do some minor online stuff for her job and her current one is 6 years old. So I get this laptop and set it up for her but realize that no sound will play. I've reinstalled drivers, done a factory reset, messed with component stuff, nothing works. It's odd though because when I try headphones, I DO get a tiny amount of sound from the left channel.

What could be the problem here?? I really want to solve this without having to take it to some repair place.
>>
>>253733
Idk, could be an audio jack problem. Like there could be something metal stuck in the jack.

If the potato of a laptop has an HDMI port. You should be able to hear sound from a monitor when connected. You could even try connecting the laptop to some TV with HDMI inputs.
>>
>>253736
Omfg I'm such a dunce. I never even thought of testing the HDMI port.
>>
>>253736
>You should be able to hear sound from a monitor when connected. You could even try connecting the laptop to some TV with HDMI inputs.
Scratch that, if there's interference going on with the audio jack there's a chance you may still not hear audio. Or I think you will have to mess around with the default audio device under sound settings.

I'm guessing there's something lodged in audio jack that's causing interference.
>>
>>253742
>you will have to mess around with the default audio device under sound settings.
If you dont immediately hear sound you have to set the monitor as a default sound device.
>>
>>253742
>if there's interference going on with the audio jack there's a chance you may still not hear audio.
No there isn't: HDMI audio is digital, inserted into the inter-frame gaps in the HDMI datastream. It appears as a separate audio device, because it is a separate audio device.

>>253733
Boot it off some kind of live USB, then you'll know if it's the software or the hardware. Knoppix has a really cheesy startup sound; if you don't hear that it's probably hardware.
>>
>>253744
>No there isn't: HDMI audio is digital, inserted into the inter-frame gaps in the HDMI datastream. It appears as a separate audio device, because it is a separate audio device.

If there's something lodged in the audio jack it would be the same as if there where headphones hooked up. He may have to change his settings to make sure the monitor is set to default device. I've never had OPs issue.

Learn to read dipshit before calling people out.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.