[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Finished Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha yesterday. Are there any

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 5

File: 1.jpg (1MB, 3494x2444px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
1MB, 3494x2444px
Finished Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha yesterday. Are there any other Magical Girl anime worth my attention?

What I want:

- Creative writing and interesting characters. I liked how in Nanoha the story was never your stock good vs evil fight, and how the "villains" were actually just separate characters with their own goals and motivations instead of flat, one-dimensional entities dead set of destroying the world. I also liked how it wasn't afraid to incorporate some darker and/or depressing themes and evens into a seemingly lighthearted story.
- Action-packed, over the top, very spectacular fights. Basically DBZ with little girls.
- A complete, self-contained experience with a conclusive ending - no manga/VN should be required of me to be read to get the full story.

What I don't want:

- Villain/monster of the week, lengthy transformation sequences literally every episode etc. Boredom-inducing repetitiveness in general.
- Highly meta "deconstructions of the genre". I get it, Madoka and the likes of it are probably good. I think it's too early for me to jump into deconstruction of the genre, when I barely even know the genre, though. Unless choosing Nanoha as my first Mahou Shoujo anime was a terrible mistake because I've been spoiled by it and the only way to go from here is down. In that case, feel free to recommend it, but *only* in that case. I'd really like to hear some other suggestions, though.

Thanks in advance for the help.
>>
Princesd Tutu
>>
>>252261
Doesn't this count as a "highly meta deconstruction" as well and lies in the same category as Madoka? I've heard it really does.
>>
File: image.jpg (32KB, 300x188px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
32KB, 300x188px
>>252263
Not really. It's more "ballet is fucking awesome AND I'LL PROVE IT TO YOU".
>>
>>252282
Wait, I recognize that particular image. Have you been recommending PT on reddit lately, perchance?
>>
File: image.jpg (118KB, 697x455px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
118KB, 697x455px
>>252257
It's important to understand that the things you've said you like about Nanoha are things Nanoha did differently from everything that went before.

Nanoha (along with the original Precure) was part of a backlash/renaissance of magic girl shows in the mid '00s, which (noting the success of Azumanga and Lucky Star) tried pitching a show full of girls at a late-teen-male demographic. That's where the violence, bombastic action, and fast-paced character development comes from.

Most magical girl shows are not like this.

There's the original Pretty Cure, but that's about it. Even then, it totally sticks to the monster-of-the-week formula, and is essentially Sailor Moon with a faster story and better graphics.

Seeing as what you're looking for is a staple of teen-male shows, you'd be better off with Hero Academia, AKB0048, Macross Delta, etc.
>>
>>252283
No, it's an image closely associated with Princess Tutu, because Princess Tutu was the very first "Watched, Expected, Got" image, and the duelling guitar ninjas were what he got.
>>
>>252289
Ok, I get it. Just a coincidence, then, I guess. There was a guy on reddit lately who recommended Princess Tutu to everyone and posted that exact "Watched, Expected, Got" image you're talking about in one of the comments. I didn't know it was a meme, therefore the assumption and confusion. Sorry.

>>252287
>It's important to understand that the things you've said you like about Nanoha are things Nanoha did differently from everything that went before. [...] Most magical girl shows are not like this.

That's what I was afraid of the most. That's a shame. I really thought Magical Girl genre was something else and it only trolled people with its appearances.

Regarding your suggestions, I really like idea behind AKB0048. Got any other suggestions in a similar vein?
>>
Houkago no Pleiades.
>>
Mai-HiME
>>
>>252312
I checked it out on MAL. Sounds like something right up my alley. Thanks a bunch, mate.
>>
Symphogear is pretty rad. It's not a masterpiece of storytelling or characters, and has some asspulls, but it's a fun watch. It's sorta mahou shoujo like, but if it is, it's very atypical. It focuses on epic action scenes and also have the characters singing during the battle scenes, which I think is awesome. Watch it if you want stupid fun, and try to turn your brain off.

Madoka is really good, as you already know, and you don't need to watch a lot of mahou shoujo to get it. A lot of people have it as their first mahou shoujo, and still like it. If you run out of things to watch, you can watch it, even if you haven't seen a lot of mahou shoujo.
>>
>>252333
Thanks for both the advice and the suggestions. I'll keep them in mind.
>>
File: PotofGreed.jpg (60KB, 544x544px) Image search: [Google]
PotofGreed.jpg
60KB, 544x544px
OP here again. I pretty much got what I wanted, but since I'm a greedy bastard, I really have to ask - do you have any other suggestions? Because the more, the merrier. Plus, it gives more alternatives in case the shows that have been recommended so far turn out to not be what I wanted.
>>
>>252504
You should go watch Futakoi: Alternative, which has nothing to do with your current request, but something to do with your previous one.
>>
>>252257
So in other words you want a battle action series and not a magical girl show. Got it.

Try watching anything not a magical girl show, you don't like them.
>>
>>252523
Huh? What previous request?
>>
>>252638
That would spoil the surprise.

Hell, this is probably spoiling the surprise.
>>
>>252639
Seriously, though, please explain. I see that it indeed is something else, and at the same time something I might potentially like, but I don't know what request you're talking about. I don't really care about surprises at that point - I just don't want to be confused.
>>
File: image.jpg (169KB, 547x800px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
169KB, 547x800px
>>252640
>>251745 . It would have been much more fun if you didn't know: it's a sequel to an absolutely generic by-the-numbers harem anime, and for no reason it starts off crazy and just gets crazier.
>>
>>252647
>tfw you make requests so often and have such a distinct style of making them you become recognizable on an anonymous forum.

Looks like I really need to stop making those so often. Still, I found 4chan to be the best place to come for such things, since there's a lot of passionate anime fans here that know a lot of stuff an average anime fan doesn't. What do I do?!

As for your suggestion, thanks man. I'll definitely check it out.
>>
These are some shows you may ilke, I haven't watched them all though

Sky Girls
Strike Witches
Vividred Operation
Date a Live (Has a male lead but the girls are top-tier)
Galaxy Fraulien Yuna (Starts cheesy, gets a little bit dark at the end)
Yuuki Yuuna wa Yuusha (has some "deconstruction" but it takes backseat to the action)
Izetta the last witch
Ore Twintail narimasu
Dog Days (from the creators of Nanoha, it's kinda comfy)
Iczer 3 (out of all the 3 Iczer series, Iczer One and Iczelion, this is the one you may preffer)
Then there's Neptunia but it's not much what you are looking for

If you don't mind some hentai, these got some nice action (not that kind of action)

Escalayer
Makai Tenshi Jibril
Brainjacker
Masou gakuen HxH (not hentai but close enough, the plot is pretty shit and the action not that good)
>>
>>252786
Both Dog Days and Sky Girls sounds kinda interesting. I might give them a watch, actually. As for the rest, not so much. I have a feeling some of those were chosen based purely on the fact Nanoha had naked lolis and other kinds of nudity and fanservice in it (a thing I really didn't like about the series at all, but just sucked it up because the show was too good to drop it because of it).
>>
>>252812
So Dog Days has a bit of an identity crisis.

Season one is cute girls kicking ass
Season two is CGDCT
Season three is a (mostly successful) attempt to combine the good bits of the previous two
>>
>>252257
Madoka is barely a "deconstruction" and Princess Tutu certainly isn't.

Almost nothing that gets called a deconstruction today actually is one.

Watch Princess Tutu.
>>
>>252648

OT: We are one small family here on /wsr/, nothing bad about being recognizable in your style.
There are many people here that pop up from time to time and recognize each other. And why not?
If you answer a lot of questions, why not ask a few as well.

I got no anime for you today, but I will watch Nanoha now...
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.