[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Action anime that feels like a Metal Slug game?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

File: 0.jpg (2MB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
0.jpg
2MB, 1600x1200px
I'm looking for an action anime that feels like a Metal Slug game. Any suggestions?

For those that don't know, Metal Slug is a series of arcade side scrolling run & gun games that was very popular in the 90s. It started off pretty normal - a spoof/parody of World War 2, where a group of commandos were trying to stop totally-not-Nazis from destroying the world, but the further into the series it went, the crazier it became, with the characters eventually having to battle against aliens, zombies, oversized animals of various kinds, cyborgs, giant robots, and sometimes even literal gods. Most of the fighting they did using guns, but there was also a variety of vehicles at their disposal, that got crazier and crazier as the series went on as well, starting with just conventional ones, such as tanks, planes, submarines and helicopters, and ending with miniature (and sometimes proper-sized) mechas and animals with turrets attached to them.

Can you think of an action anime that has that feel and those levels of being overall batshit insane? It can be a series or an OVA (if it's a series, I'd like it to have a conclusive ending and not require of me to read any manga afterwards), and it can anywhere from the mid 80s till now, as long as it fits. Thanks in advance for the help.
>>
>>251745
Literally none. Sorry.
>>
>>251757
I see.
>>
Much as I hate to go all old-school lest I sound like one of those "old anime is the best and I hate new anime" idiots, you're most likely to find that kind of feel in old shows from the 80s.

I recommend an old OVA called MD Geist. I think it's exactly the kind of batshit insane you're looking for. There's only two episodes so you have nothing to lose by trying it.
>>
>>251768
I've been meaning to watch MD Geist for some time now, but couldn't get motivated enough to actually give it a go. Thanks for giving me a reason.

Any other suggestions?
>>
>>251774
Hmm, it's not as good (rather, I can't describe it as good period), but there's this old film called "Psychic Wars" which is hilariously ridiculous. You might enjoy that too.

MD Geist is a blast though, have fun.
>>
>>251745
(maybe)
Halo Legends
Black Lagoon
Trigun
Full Metal Panic
Sabagebu
Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood
Sin The Movie
>>
File: fclqNWQ.jpg (241KB, 3368x412px) Image search: [Google]
fclqNWQ.jpg
241KB, 3368x412px
>>251779
Oh! I just thought of a semi-recent show that might work for you: Samurai Flamenco. The less you know about this one before you go in, the better. In fact you probably shouldn't look at this image until after you've watched it, but it will make sense once you have.

Some people really hated it but I personally loved it. You don't make this kind of show on accident.
>>
>>251780
Black Lagoon and Trigun I've already seen. Full Metal Panic and SiN The Movie (I really didn't expect this game to get a movie, let alone an anime movie) sound interesting, so I might check them out. The rest, not so much. Thanks.
>>
>>251792
Yeah, I've heard some things about that particular show. Might be worth giving it a shot. Thank you.
>>
>>251745
Tank Police features a tank that looks straight out of Metal Slug if that is good enough for you,
>>
>>251856
I'm pretty sure the design of Metal Slug was actually inspired by Dominion Tank Police. As for whether it's good enough for me or not - does this show has to offer something I'd like apart from tanks? How would you describe it?
>>
>>251859
It is a bit crazy but by OVA standards is pretty tame, Mad Bull 34 gets exponentially crazier every minute that sounds like what you want.
>>
>>251869
>Mad Bull 34 gets exponentially crazier every minute that sounds like what you want.

Yep, it definitely is what I want. Unfortunately I've already seen it. It is definitely the style I'm looking for, though. Know anything similar to it (other than Riding Bean; I've seen that one, too, and it seems most similar)?
>>
>>251874
There is Ultimate Teacher but its more weird than crazy that just goes full retard 20 minutes in, Genesis Survivor has some really crazy aspects like Robots being the benevolent rulers of whats left of humanity and robots challenging each other for WIZARD DUELS but they dont put too much emphasis on it
>>
>>251874
Try Inferno cop
>>
>>251878
Definitely will. It's going to take me, like, an hour, though because the episodes are 3 minutes each. Got anything I can watch for a longer period of time?
>>
>>251881
Ninja Slayers is done in the same style but is alot better and has 10 minute episodes instead of 1 min.
>>
>>251890
12 minutes sound much more viable. Will check it out. Thanks.
>>
Any other suggestions?
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.