[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

PC HELP!

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1

File: shopping.jpg (9KB, 300x244px) Image search: [Google]
shopping.jpg
9KB, 300x244px
Greeting anon,
I posted yesterday looking for some help with my PC. I've been experiencing lag in a lot high demand games. My video card is decent and should be able to run these games on atleast medium settings, but I'm forced to play at the lowest graphic setting and still experiencing lag, Yesterday we were able to determine that my processor is holding me back. I'm looking for suggestions and tips on what i should replace it with. i have a budget of roughly 100 dollars. I will post my PC's specs below. Thanks for any advice or help you can provide.

Processor : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5320 @1.86GHz
RAM : 12.0 GB
System type : 64-bit OS
Display Adapter : Asus R7 250 Series
>>
>>250693

Also, curious if it would be smarter to buy a second E5320, instead of replacing it. My motherboard has room for two processors.
>>
>>250693

Your budget is too low for any type of major improvement.
>>
>>250704

Would it be an improvement to install a second E5320?
>>
>>250705

In my experience game devs are incompetent when it comes to optimizing. Multiple, yet weak, cores are to avoided as any multithreading support is met with bullshit lies.
>>
>>250707

So having a second processor is a shitty idea? what would be a decent replacement for the one I have? 100-300 dollars?

>this is the processor i have

https://www.serversupply.com/products/part_search/pid_lookup.asp?pid=93072&gclid=CjwKEAiAkuLDBRCRguCgvITww0YSJAAHrpf-kLcxIc6H4U8lyINldwmwfKc8HtUTmWYaG3CkuffcMxoCEZTw_wcB
>>
>>250704
Not sure if OP is really looking for a major improvement or just an improvement.

Also will you sell old one + spend 100? Cause you might wanna take that into consideration
>>
>>250708

Assuming your mobo is compatible, i5s usually are a good go-to for cost effective cpus.
>>
>>250693
> My video card is decent and should be able to run these games on atleast medium settings

No, it is the lowest of low end. So is your CPU. Another CPU could help in a few very specific scenarios (i.e. CryEngine games or benchmarking), but only if you also upgrade to a much better GPU at the same time.
I actually have a setup with two of your CPUs here, they suck ass.
Your cheapest way to getting a bit more performance is probably buying a Xeon E5450/X5450, which is the same as a C2Q Q9650, just pretty cheap around $25. One of these will be way faster in ANY game than two of the E5320.

Then I'd use the rest of the money to buy a used graphics card. $75 should get you something like a R9 280 which is multiple times faster than your current card.
This should be the fastest you can get with $100 and should be fine for most games.
>>
>>250718

This is exactly the kind of advice i needed. The two processors you mentioned, it seems like the only difference between them is power usage. So I'm guessing if I'm going to double up I should pick the one that requires less power. correct?
>>
>>250718
>>250723

Also what I meant is that my card advertises that they can play these games on medium settings, but it doesn't perform up to the advertised standards at all. I plan on replacing it eventually but upgrading my CPU is more important right now if im correct
>>
>>250725
What you need to understand is that while your CPU is indeed holding your card back, that is only by a very small amount.
Even with a 5GHz 7700K your GPU is still very very slow, that won't change.

Spending the money 25% CPU (like I said E5450) and 75% on a used GPU will yield you much better results than using $100 to buy a CPU + mobo + RAM. It will probably even be better than spending $300 to do so.

If you don't believe me, try buying just an E5450. You will get better results than now, but the cards limit is very low.
>>
>>250723
I didn't see these two posts for some reason...
Yes, the E5450 and X5450 are identical except for power usage.
Just buying one would increase your performance by a lot, I'm not sure how useful buying two would be. I don't think there are any gawmes that would profit from the additional cores before your GPU is already at the limit.

>but it doesn't perform up to the advertised standards at all
Hm, did you look at benchmarks to confirm this?
What games are we talking about here? Advertisement can mean lowest quality driver settings on a 1280x720 screen with 30fps if it isn't specified.
>>
I have essentially the same questions as OP, My specs are as follows:
Processor: AMD A10-5700 APU @ 3.40GHz
GC: AMD Radeon HD 7660D
64 bit OS
8GB of RAM

I have money, but I'm a pretty avid /k/ommando so I don't typically like to part with it unless I'm buying many box of cartridge for glorious Soviet rifles. How much money am I gonna have to throw at this thing before I have a decent setup?
I'm tired of playing DayZ and ARMA 3 at 12-16FPS
>>
>>251080
Arma is a pretty hard candidate. Almost all games nowadays are extremely GPU dependant and work good with almost any CPU of the last 6 years, but ARMA is different.

No matter what GPU you use, you will not get more than about 50fps.
The only way to get more would be to overclock a current top of the line i7 CPU by a lot, which means buying a K-CPU, a Z170/Z270 board, and a good cooling solution, which all drive the price up.

So in this special case, it depends on how good it has to look. For ultra, I'd say about $450-550 for the CPU, board and RAM alone (Skylake Z170 DDR4 setup). And then about $300 more for a GPU that is fast enough to get to the maximum performance we can currently get in Arma 3, something like a GTX1060 6GB for example.

If you don't need ultra settings, then you can get away with a lot less of course. For example, using an i5 6600 instead of i7 7700K, and a GTX960/RX480 should make it very playable at high settings.

You could ask your Arma-buddies on how their performance is, maybe that can give you a better estimate on how much you really need for yourself.
German guy here, I wish I could spend my money in a /k/-way, but nothing is legal here...
>>
>>251068
>I'm not sure how useful buying two would be
It would make the motherboard actually work, so there's that.
>>
>>251107
How do you mean that? I have one of these 771 boards and they work fine with one CPU.
>>
>>251130
Sorry, I was thinking of an E5320 and E5450 together vs a pair of E5450s.
>>
>>250723
The E5450 and X5450 are the same die, but the E series dies are selected for their stability at a lower core voltage, so they deliver the same performance with less heat and less power consumption.

>>251068
There's a guy on eBay selling SLBBMs for $15 each; a second E5450 would certainly give $15 worth of improvement. In any case, the GPU definitely needs replaced, and the 1050 series are perfect candidates: low power usage, cheap (just over $100), and more powerful than a 960.

A pair of E5450s will be kept waiting by a 1050 or 1050Ti (whereas with a single one it's the other way round), so OP can have a modern 1080 gaming machine for $150.
>>
Probably the motherboard, but its also worth checking whether you PSU can meet the demands of all your parts. Thats where i would start at least.
>>
>>251149
Good post, this is close to my own opinion (I'm the E5450 guy).

It's a shame none of the 771 motherboards are good for overclocking. The only ones that are okay-ish are the Skulltrail and the Asus Z7S-WS, but both have bad VRMs which are prone to death after a few months of more than factory voltage.
>>
>>250693
1. Need better budget
2. CPU is probably a bit outdated
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.