[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Recommend me some good, reasonable hard-scifi anime

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 5

File: eBcD9ihM6dQ.jpg (154KB, 1000x519px) Image search: [Google]
eBcD9ihM6dQ.jpg
154KB, 1000x519px
I've never really watched any anime before, so I feel like I should give it a fair chance instead of dismissing it as weeb trash

That said, I'm looking for recommendations. I'm told that there's some really good military/ scifi stuff out there, but I don't really know what to look for or what stuff is highly regarded.

Pic unrelated
>>
>>250220
GANTZ (then read the manga)
Psycho Pass
Code Geass
GUILTY CROWN (well worth a watch)
gundam wing (Treize Khushrenada) is the real hero
Stein's; Gate
>>
yamato 2199
space dandy
aldnoah zero
psycho-pass
tengen toppa gurren lagann
muv-luv alternative
>>
>>250220
Psycho-Pass
Toward the Terra
Mobile Suit Gundam (79)
Shinsekai Yori
Akira
Texhnolyze
>>
>>250222
>>250224
>>250231

Thanks m8s

I'll check these out
>>
serial expirements lain
cowboy bebop
jin roh
>>
>>250220

What is that striped horizontal bar in the first panel?
>>
Ghost in the Shell
>>
>>250248
I'm not sure if they're trolling you or don't understand what hard sci-fi is, but a ton of these are not hard sci-fi at all
>>
>>250224
>muv-luv alternative

This isn't even an anime.
>>
>>250220
Ghost in the Shell 1995
Akira 1988
Jin Roh 1999
The End of Evangelion 1997
>>
> hard-scifi
Planetes
>>
File: planetes.jpg (120KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
planetes.jpg
120KB, 1024x768px
>>250381
>>Planetes

This. Probably about as close as you're going to get to Hard SF.
>>
>>250327

No I've just never heard of any of them before so I was planning on looking them up.
>>
>>250285

In Titanfall when your Titan's health bar is BTFO'd you get put in the "doom state", where your Titan is on fire and you're supposed to eject. You get your health bar replaced with the striped bar which slowly trickles down and you eventually explode.
>>
>>250327
I think they just haven't heard the term before.

>>250329
https://myanimelist.net/anime/11021/Muv-Luv_Alternative__Total_Eclipse

>>250220
Literally nothing in this thread, bar Planetes, is hard scifi. It's not really that popular in Japan compared to scifi-fantasy, super robot, real robot, cyberpunk, etc.

The following are cyberpunk/scifi-noir, which I guess you might like too:
GANTZ
Psycho Pass
Akira
Texhnolyse
Lain
Jin Roh
Ghost in the Shell

Almost all the rest are Real Robot, which was a movement in reaction to the Super Robot shows from the '70s (which you'll recognise as Voltron, Power Rangers, etc.). Real Robot shows, by contrast, were scientifically realistic (at least in the sense that the robot didn't come out a volcano, form itself from five smaller robots, and shoot laser beams out its eyes). Evangelion started life as a parody of Real Robot shows: its point being that Real Robot shows aren't actually that realistic, and that operating even one giant robot would need a whole city worth of hangars, factories, control rooms, admin staff, etc. etc.

Space Opera shows:
Toward the Terra
Yamato 2199 (there's a '70s version and a modern remake)

Super Robot shows:
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann

Real Robot shows:
Gundam Wing
Aldnoah Zero
Gundam '79
Muv Luv

>>250220
As to what you actually asked for, check out Knights of Sidonia: yes it's got giant robots and warp drives, but it's also got what happens when you try to turn a mile-long colony ship to avoid a projectile you know you're going to hit in an hour's time.
>>
>>250419
Interesting, thanks.
>>
>>250468
>Literally nothing in this thread, bar Planetes, is hard scifi.

don't start that shit. you can name three things you believe are hard sf and i can trash them as YA fantasy in less than a hundred words, so shut up.

OP: Appleseed
>>
>>250634
You can't seriously say TTGL, Akira, GANTZ, etc. are hard sci fi can you? Their appeal is in how over the top, fantastical and outrageous they are. We can be pedantic or we can be realistic.

If OP simply wanted sci fi there would be no reason for snobbery - I feel you - but if he's specifically asking for anime with hard science, why give him pseudoscience? It's kind of like if someone asked for shows about realistic medieval knights and people posted Sword Art Online then said "But it has swords and no magic!"
>>
If you can bring some patience, try Legend of the Galactic Heroes. It is like the Greek epics of anime, that everyone has heard about but few actually consumed.
It has a high entrance barrier due to being old, having a massive amount of characters, and a slow pace, but it is one of the best shows out there if you take your time.

It feels fairly grounded in reality, but it is still more space opera than hard sci-fi.

>>250222
Guilty Crown is not even sci-fi, it's just a 26 episode album commercial with a few minor elements of sci-fi and mostly unexplained anime magic.
For me this was a chore to sit thorugh. It is very pretty and sounds great though.

The others, yeah, I agree, especially Stein's;Gate and Psycho Pass.
>>
File: 1460054364631.png (1024KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1460054364631.png
1024KB, 1280x720px
>>250220
Not hard sci-fi, but Heavy Object is good if you want some buddy-cop sci-fi.
>>
>>250634
You know "hard scifi" is an actual genre and not a term OP just made up, right?
>>
File: authentic gundam chart.jpg (3MB, 2800x3402px) Image search: [Google]
authentic gundam chart.jpg
3MB, 2800x3402px
>>250220
the current gundam rec chart if you care, also VOTOMS
>>250259
>serial expirements lain
Not hard sci-fi and it is trash
>>
>>250903
i know why the British New Wave (Moorcock, Aldiss etc) looked down on the likes of Larry Niven.
>>
>Recommending Gundam as a hard sci-fi

Jesus you guys. It's a great series and I do recommend the OP to check it out sometime (after he's had his fix) but this series makes almost no effort whatsoever to be realistic and will definitely let anyone down who is expecting stuff to happen within the realm of possibility.
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.