[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

pcvoodoohalp

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: ibm.jpg (31KB, 405x720px) Image search: [Google]
ibm.jpg
31KB, 405x720px
Hey everyone,

i wasn't really sure where to post this but here goes nothing.
I have here an IBM 4840 563. Its an old PoS from a previous business that includes the computer, a touch screen monitor, a printer, and a cash drawer. im trying to use it for my personal business but I'm using a cloud based PoS and need to install windows. it has "windows xp embedded" which i really don't know much about, booting up it attempts to load their previous os they had on some server. whatever.

I made a bootable usb using rufus, as it has no disc drive, and was trying to use xp sp3. when i get to the menu asking to hit a key to boot usb, it pauses a bit, then restarts every time. ive tried multiple usb slots, remaking the the bootable usb, ive looked around in the bios but dont really know what too look at. im stumped :/ any help would be appreciated.

i managed to find the service manual. it says it support xp?

http://www.incos.it/download/IBM-Toshiba/POS/SUREPOS%20500/Surepos500.pdf
>>
>>249304
1. Make sure your USB drive is actually bootable (test it)
2. Are you using the correct windows version for the processor architecture?
3. Is USB boot disabled in BIOS?
>>
>>249304
XP embedded can be boot from PXE, an EL Torito CD, an SD card or USB drive. XP Pro cannot do that without third party software. Ensure the XP Embedded is actually on a Hard Drive. Otherwise, unlikely it would work and you are better off with linux.
>>
>>249499
>Are you using the correct windows version for the processor architecture?
Read OP's post ffs.
>>
>>249903
Where in OP's post did he say what architecture his PoS was or whether he was using a matching version of Windows?

>>249901
If XP Embedded is booting from PXE, he just needs to disable PXE boot in the BIOS. It shouldn't matter whether it's on the hard drive. I would never encourage anyone to use XP over Linux, but OP isn't trying to PXE boot so I don't see how using Linux would make any difference on this point.
>>
>>250004
>Where in OP's post did he say what architecture his PoS was or whether he was using a matching version of Windows?
You suspect he has an Itanium?
>>
>>250004
>XP Embedded functioning as a thin client installed and working, as seen by attempts to connect to server
>Wants to install XP SP3
No mentions of anything along the lines of XP x64 2002(Itanium) nor XP Pro x64(x86-64) (which only have SP2) anywhere.
FYI other than the 2 versions mentioned above ALL XP versions are x86-32, not to say those 2 are based of Windows Server 2003.
>>
>>250212
Not to mention that anything that can run x64 can also run x86.

But anyhoo, OP, your best bet might be to pop the hard disk out, boot it in another PC, and then the first time Windows setup wants to reboot, swap it into the ePOS and see what happens.

Before the first reboot, all Windows setup does is copy all the files off the USB onto the hard disk, and configure the hard disk to boot Windows setup, so doing this will probably work.
>>
>>250212
>>250275
Right, because it's always safe to assume people asking for computer help have completely and accurately described the software they're using, including minor versions and architectures. Also, it's stupid to rule out simple problems right at the beginning. You should always start with the most complex and labor-intensive solution because computer problems are almost never caused by simple mistakes.
>>
>>250320
>I accidentally got a processor that's only ever been used in supercomputers
Did you ask what colour it was? That might be important too.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.