[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Need help from PC experts

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

File: vaporwave simpson.jpg (26KB, 500x377px) Image search: [Google]
vaporwave simpson.jpg
26KB, 500x377px
Big fucking problem here. I tried for the first time to assemble a PC 2 days ago, and bought all the components on Amazon and ePrice.
After connecting everything, i start up the pc and i see a bit of smoke coming out of the top of one of the RAM slots. I immediately turned it off and checked those components.
The ram had 2 pins (idk the correct name) burned and the ram slot was slightly burned where those 2 pins where. I checked before turning the PC on that everything was connected in the right way, and when i saw the smoke i almost had an heart attack. I've almost spent 1300 € on this pc, and i'd like to know what caused the problems.
I will probably send back moba and the 2 rams, since they're covered with the warranty.

Specs:

CPU: i5 6600, cooler was inside the box
GPU: gtx 1060 6gb
PSU: corsair cx650m
HDD: wd caviar blue 2TB
RAM: 2x4gb HyperX Fury DDR4 2133MHz
MOBA: ASUS H170 Pro Gaming
Case: NZXT S340
SSD: Crucial 275gb
>>
It sounds like a defective motherboard. However, you should check for possible grounding shorts. the motherboard may be mounted on little screw in mounts. Are you ONLY using the mounts needed? Are you bending a card or the motherboard to fit the components in? Etc.
>>
One more thing...

The power supply is set to what voltage?
>>
>>247467

yes i'm only using the mounts needed and i didn't bend it to fit the components, nothing like that

power supply is the typical 220V that you have at home.
>>
Idk....I'd check the PSU. Open it, see if anything seems wrong. I'd do what the other guy said, and i think hes probs right about the mobo. Not sure if they will accept it tho if ur talking to their crappy CS. Email someone higher in the chain, always warranty is questionable when it comes to PC building.
>>
>>247488
Yes, but maybe there's a physical switch on the PSU for 110V and 220V. Make sure it's set to 220V.
>>
>>247500

no physical switches
>>
>>247456
RAM does this if you fail to plug it in all the way then you apply power.

This is certainly what you did.

They should reject your warranty claim, as its your negligence that ruined perfectly good hardware.
>>
File: itstheseones.png (510KB, 1073x292px) Image search: [Google]
itstheseones.png
510KB, 1073x292px
>>247456
Bet you it's these two pins.

These two pins supply the power to the DIMM, and because you didn't push the DIMM in all the way, they didn't make a good connection, and instead of being a wire, they acted like a heater.

That's why your DIMM went on fire.

The chips are probably still good (they never received power because you never connected the power to them properly), so you could try cleaning the burned contacts up, inserting the DIMM all the way, and seeing if it'll boot.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.