[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What comics should I own and put on my bookshelf?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 4

File: Box-cropped.jpg (117KB, 409x554px) Image search: [Google]
Box-cropped.jpg
117KB, 409x554px
What comics should I own and put on my bookshelf?
>>
>>245394
For display purposes or reading purposes?

The Eternaut works for both, depending on your audience.
>>
>>245394
Tintin
Watchmen
>>
Sandman
The Dark Knight Returns
>>
File: 10438695376_64ee48e3c8.jpg (159KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
10438695376_64ee48e3c8.jpg
159KB, 500x375px
>>245394
Depends on what you want.
Stuff you'd actually personally enjoy or definitive shit you feel you "should have" on principle?
if the prior, what kind of stories are you into? Dramatic? Action-packed? Philosophical? Psychedelic?
Do you want stories that are self-contained to one book? Stories that stretch over several physical volumes? Stories that have been carved out of ~500 issue series?

Heck; you want superheroes or no superheroes? That's a first step.

Whatever the case I'mma throw The Incal out there, shit's kino yo. Although being a French comic by a Chilean writer of Ukranian heritage the translated prose can sound reeeeeeally janky at times. Therein lies another factor: are you expecting American comics or obscure foreign fare?
>>
>>245557
Just comics I should buy, individually listed
>>
>>245394
The first issue of any comic - its bound to pay off in 50 years.
>>
File: 1483236740463.png (564KB, 1048x1048px) Image search: [Google]
1483236740463.png
564KB, 1048x1048px
>>245581
Not >>245557, but we still need pointers.

Unless you are asking for must-reads, a sort of standardized canon of sorts?

That is still too big.

Okay, as a start, read :
http://comraderecs.tumblr.com/post/17325346254/general-comic-recommendations

See how fuckhuge that list is?

Now, I have some personal recommendations as well.
Bone
> Just a good read all around
Watchmen
> Near canon status anyway. I'm not too fond of anything from the Iron Age, but you'll be lost without knowing this historically significant work
Anything by Joe Sacco
> Combining zine-style drawings with serious journalism is a good fix.
Buddha by Osamu Tezaku
> The godfather of manga, and a good collection of various buddha myths
A couple of collections of silver age Marvel and DC stories(anyone will do)
> Like my grandparents old long-cooked turkey stew we had every fall and winter: A fulfilling and hearty meal, but not too complex in taste.

That's a start.
>>
>>245586
kek
>>
File: wutdog.jpg (6KB, 172x200px) Image search: [Google]
wutdog.jpg
6KB, 172x200px
>>245581
for what purpose

Ultimates^2 issues could use more sales I guess?
If you buy the Sabertooth Swordsman TPB maybe it'll be one step closer to a full-color release?
Blow a ludicrous amount of cash on all the Swamp Thing, Captain Britain and Stephan Sejic comics you can and I could get some sweet omnibuses out of it?

Specify, man. Why do YOU want to buy comics? Seems like a waste of money if you know nothing about them.
>>
>>245586
This is actually sound advice for this reason and because it is a good gauge of whether or not you'd actually like the series
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.