[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Computer Issue

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: sigh.jpg (1KB, 300x166px) Image search: [Google]
sigh.jpg
1KB, 300x166px
After being away for a week I try to boot up my computer (Windows 7, custom built desktop) and the motherboard info screen (click del to go to BIOS, stays up for about 30+ seconds and is unresponsive. Then the pic related screen pops up and does not go away. The problem does not occur when I remove my graphics card from my computer and it boots normally.

I tested my PSU and it was not working properly. After replacing it with a new PSU, the problem still exists.

To answer some obvious questions: Yes, I my PSU supplies enough power. My GPU has been using the same driver since August and has had no issues (GTX 670). Sadly, I do not have anyone near me that I can swap components with and test my gpu or other components. I've looked quite a bit online and I've only seen stuff about new GPUs causing this.

Has anyone experienced this issue before? I am starting to think it's the GPU (rolling back my driver to an earlier version now). Thank you in advance.
>>
>>244115
>rolling back my driver to an earlier version now
You're not thinking logically.

How can a driver that loads after Windows boots make something go wrong before Windows boots?

You already know the problem is that your GPU's shagged: it can't get past the BIOS when it's present, and it works perfectly when it's absent. There's no potential for misconfiguration here: if it could boot fine, and none of the hardware was changed, and now it can't boot fine, that means something is broken.

To be certain, you can try your card in a different PC, but really it can only be one of four things:
- your GPU
- your PSU
- your power cable(s)
- your motherboard

Rule out #4 by running any other GPU in your PC, even a very old one.

The once you have, go buy a 1050: it's $110, it uses less than half the power, and it's more powerful than the card you've got by a wide margin.
>>
>>244154
Thanks for responding! I didn't end up rolling back the driver. My PSU was faulty and I have a new one installed now (with new power cables) but that doesn't appear to be the issue. I bought a $50 card at best buy (a GT (no x) 710. It booted once without displaying anything and I recalled that my mobo is dumb and you have to disable internal graphics to get it to work. Now the graphics card is giving me a similar issue.

That really only leaves the motherboard but I'm confused why it would boot without a gpu if it was not working.
>>
>>244157
Broken PCIe slot or PCIe power.
>>
>>244157
The x16 slot (and only the x16 slot) supllies the card with 75W, and it gets this power from pins 21-24 of the ATX connector.

A cheap low-power x16 GPU (or an x1 GPU) like an NVS would let you test if it's the power or the PCIe lanes.
>>
>>244159
If I used the original GPU in both the x16 and x8 slots, would that rule out a slot problem?

>>244160
I have an x1 (I think) gpu for testing and it didn't work in the x16 slot either.
>>
File: image.jpg (34KB, 500x320px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
34KB, 500x320px
>>244162
It's pretty easy to spot an x1 GPU: it has an x1 connector.

If it doesn't work in the x16 slot, but does work in an x1 slot, then obviously the x16 slot is broken.
>>
>>244164
it is an x4, don't know why my mind blanked on that. Doesn't work on the x16, x8, or x4 slots.
>>
>>244167
I would test the motherboard with another PSU if you have one lying around, because if it does work in other motherboards but in that motherboard it doesn't work in any slot, that could be a problem with the power the motherboard is supposed to be supplying to the PCIe slots.
>>
>>244172
I just installed a new psu this morning, because my other one was giving off a few faulty values. I don't have another computer to test these cards with currently. But my current gpu and this cheap one i just bought both don't work in any slots.
>>
UPDATE:

I updated the bios for my motherboard and it seems to have fixed it. I don't know if this is a permanent fix or if this is a precursor to my motherboard failing but either way, thanks for the help all who helped.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.