[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What type of disc do I need to install Ubuntu?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 8

File: Linux penguin.png (569KB, 2000x2357px) Image search: [Google]
Linux penguin.png
569KB, 2000x2357px
I want to make a boot disc of Ubuntu so I can install it in a virtual machine later.

When I tried doing that earlier it didn't work because there wasn't enough space on the disc.

The CD I used says 700 MB and high speed CD-RW on it. What type of disc should I get as a replacement?
>>
>>243598
Also, I was originally going to go with Ubuntu because it's the distro I've heard of the most. But, now that I've been delayed by this problem I'm wondering what other distros people might recommend for a noob.
>>
>What type of disc should I get as a replacement?
DVD
>>
Most virtual machine software lets you mount an ISO as a disk

Also, I've found that creating a USB boot drive is far more convenient than burning discs
>>
>>243598
If you're installing in a virtual machine, you don't need a physical CD at all. You just point the VM program to the disk image.

>>243606
>now that I've been delayed by this problem I'm wondering what other distros people might recommend for a noob.
Every other one is even more complicated. If you're having trouble understanding virtual machines, maybe Linux is not for you.
>>
>>243624
I didn't mean it was too complicated for me. Just that now that I have more time to think I was wondering if their are better distros out there.

I understand how virtual machines work I just wanted to know what type of disc I need.
>>
>>243633
>I understand how virtual machines work I just wanted to know what type of disc I need.
These statements are in direct conflict.

If you knew how VMs worked, you'd have known you didn't need any disk at all.
>>
>>243633

For a VM you don't need a disc, just mount the image in the virtual disk reader in the machine. For a real installation any CD/DVD will do as long as the image fits, because some distros have images that require as much as 10 DVDs; Ubuntu fits in a single CD.

>I was wondering if their are better distros out there.

The problem with ditros is that most of the times they branch because of politics or personal issues, then there are a few times when they branch because of autistic technical reasons that aren't important, and only a few times they branch because of actual practical reasons that result in a well maintained and functional product. There might be thousands of distros but less than a dozen aren't a meme.

In real life the only distros used in work environments are Ubuntu, Debian, and Fedora/RH; for servers they also use those and some times meme shit like Gentoo if they have very specific needs. Ubuntu is a great distro for ignorant faggots like you because it has great OOTB functionality and a huge community, so you fill find resources and help easily. On the downside, the corporation who owns it has been trying to pull all kinds of shit, from trying to change it to implement their own kernel (and making it an OS by itself, not GNU/Linux anymore) to adding Amazon spyware that collects your information to then sell you things. If you want to be truly free you want to use a distro that doesn't belong to a corporation and that packs only free software OOTB, in this case Debian is the best choice; Debian is as upstream as it gets, it has great documentation, and a big enough community. You can't go wrong with Debian either for a desktop or a server, as long as you're not too stupid too read documentation and learn stuff. Also you clearly have no idea of what you're doing, so whatever distro you install, it will not work and you're gonna think it's shit; therefore install Gentoo.
>>
File: Ubuntu iso.png (83KB, 1010x803px) Image search: [Google]
Ubuntu iso.png
83KB, 1010x803px
This is what shows up when I open the ISO file. I don't see any option to put it on anything other than disc.
>>
>>243648
>making it an OS by itself, not GNU/Linux anymore
It already is: you can run Ubuntu on Windows 10. Not even a trace of Linux.
>>
>>243658
You just leave it where it is. It doesn't need to be on any disk.

I think you need to either google "virtual machine", or find a forum in your language.
>>
>>243658

Christ kid, you may actually be too stupid for GNU/Linux after all. Go to your virtual machine and use you virtual CD reader (make one if the machine didn't make it automatically) to browse to the location of the ISO, then select it and mount it.

>>243661

It is the Linux subsystem retard. It's not Ubuntu on Windows, it's the Linux kernel on Windows. Even disregarding the fact that you can make it any distro you want, Ubuntu would still have the Linux kernel. You're as dumb as OP, kys yourself.
>>
>>243667
>it's the Linux kernel on Windows.
>Ubuntu would still have the Linux kernel
You're flat wrong about that. How would that even work?

https://insights.ubuntu.com/2016/03/30/ubuntu-on-windows-the-ubuntu-userspace-for-windows-developers/
>>
>>243668

Oh you're right,I stand correcter then. I never used Windows but I had heard it was different than the thing in your article.
>>
File: Capture.png (3KB, 625x71px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
3KB, 625x71px
Okay I figured out what I did wrong. I created the VM before downloading the Ubuntu ISO and tried to add it later.

Turns out I have to add the ISO when I create the virtual machine.

Now I have a new problem. It says I need an x86-64 cpu but only detects an i686. My CPU is an i7 4500U. This is a 64 bit processor so why doesn't it work?
>>
File: VM fuckery.png (31KB, 1920x1040px) Image search: [Google]
VM fuckery.png
31KB, 1920x1040px
Alright I downloaded the i686 version and created a virtual machine. It looked like it was about to work and even showed the Ubuntu logo but then it all went to shit.
>>
>>243687

>but only detects an i686

What makes you think that the VM has the same processor as your IRL hardware? You should read the documentation of your VM software and maybe follow a step by step guide or something because you clearly don't know shit about VMs machines and are doing everything wrong.
>>
>>243723
I already figured it out. See >>243706
>>
>>243723
Because it's a VM, and not an emulator.

Virtualisation is done by presenting the guest with same processor and a different address space (usually assisted by an MMU that supports nested layers of page tables) then trapping any instruction it could use to escape, and trapping I/O instructions so the real processor (running the guest) can talk to virtual hardware devices it emulates itself (when running the host or hypervisor).

It's not done by emulating a completely different processor. That's not virtualisation, that's something completely different.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/2480/9
>>
>>243706
>>243687
You've disabled VT-x in your BIOS settings, so VirtualBox is doing emulation, not virtualisation.

After you enable Intel VT, you'll probably have to delete that VM and create a new one to use it.
>>
>>243733

Actually VirtualBox is complete hardware virtualization and it does support emulating a different processor. Emulation is just a kind of hardware virtualization after all.
>>
File: 4L_l1Fj3Cm9.png (114KB, 311x438px) Image search: [Google]
4L_l1Fj3Cm9.png
114KB, 311x438px
>>243746
>Emulation is just a kind of hardware virtualization after all.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=difference+between+emulation+and+virtualisation
>>
>>243735
I've never even gone into the BIOS before. Does it come disabled by default?
>>
File: virt_bios[1].gif (77KB, 590x391px) Image search: [Google]
virt_bios[1].gif
77KB, 590x391px
>>243756
Usually, yes.

For reasons that surely make sense to the OEMs.
>>
File: Finally.png (132KB, 1080x634px) Image search: [Google]
Finally.png
132KB, 1080x634px
What installation type should I choose? It's inside a VM so will the first option work or will it effect stuff outside the VM as well?
>>
>>243784
It's always safe to erase a disk inside a VM, because outside the VM it's just a file.

Why are you using VirtualBox anyway? VMWare Player is free, and it has a wizard that installs your OS inside your VM for you.
>>
>>243797
To be honest everything has been pretty rushed and unplanned.

I've wanted to try out Linux for months now but I kept putting it off. So today I just said "fuck it" and tried to install Linux with about 30 minutes of research.
>>
Alright everything is working. Thanks guys.
>>
>>243639
Man, chill
>>
>>243797
>>243800
Yes, VMware is much better especually for begginers. Most things are automated and it lets u make more mistakes in vm setup and os will run anyway
And pls dont use Ubuntu for too long, it is shit
U better try Fedora or Debian or if you want something that is even easier try ZorinOS (win7like system) or Chapéau (based on fedora, very good compability, performance and design).
>>
>>243598
Use a DVD you dip, CDs are for WinXP.
>>
File: French_Desktop_01.png (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
French_Desktop_01.png
2MB, 1920x1080px
Remember to rice OP
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.