[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Need a little adapter help.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: Corrct-adaptor.jpg (539KB, 1200x1800px) Image search: [Google]
Corrct-adaptor.jpg
539KB, 1200x1800px
I'm building my first ever gaming/editing rig soon, I already have a majority of the parts (just need a few more before I can assemble it in March). A friend of mine gave me an older IDE DVD burner drive to cut costs so I'm going to need a good internal IDE to SATA adapter.

I found one online, but I need some info about it. Is it the right kind of adapter and is it just "plug and play" or will i need to Download a driver for it? See pic.

If you must know my friend didn't use the DVD burner much, even though it cost him $70 back when he got it new.
>>
Might be prying a little bit too much, but why do you need a DVD Burner in this day and time?

Also, any cheap adapter would work. Reliability is another issue.
>>
>>243270
Heh, "rig".

Anyhoo, all you need to do is plug it in. You'll need to connect a floppy disk power connector to power the electronics in the adapter. Watch out for clearance if you've got anything behind the drive.
>>
>>243273
I do a lot of editing and burning DVD for people. Plus I plan on wanting DVDs with it as well.

>>243274
You mean MOLEX? the power supply I got has a MOLEX plug on it so I'm good.

If you mean a 4pin plug, then it has that too.

As for clearance that shouldn't be an issue.
>>
>>243286
>wanting
WATCHING
>>
>>243286
The adapter needs the smaller 4-pin floppy connector.
You'll also need a molex to power the drive itself.
Set the jumpers on the drive to "cable select" ("CS").
>>
>>243295
>Set the jumpers on the drive to "cable select" ("CS").

That won't affect my SSD or mechanical hardrives which are both SATA will it?
>>
Nope. Master/Slave/Cable_Select are used for the old parallel IDE standard where you could have up to 2 devices per cable. There is only one channel per SATA data cable.
>>
>>243311
So since the Motherboard I got has 3 SATA Data Connectioons, I have have the DVD burned with Adapter, the SSD, and the mechanical HD all hooked up to it and they won't affect each other?
>>
>>243314
>I have have the DVD burned
I CAN have the DVD BURNER
>>
>>243315

Pretty much right. You should be able to have all three devices connected and operating at the same time without issue. I have read that the system might slow down the SATA controller to the speed of the slowest connected drive (1.5/3/6 Gbps). Some systems get around this by having multiple controllers with dedicated ports for high speed drives like newer SATA III SSDs. But even if you system was slowed down to 1.5Gbps, that's still over 180MB/s of bandwidth.
>>
>>243270

I really can't see the point in this, you can get a SATA Lite-on burner for about $12
>>
>>243342
Those things are NOTORIOUSLY unreliable. The One I got was a high quality DVD burner when released and since it was hardly used, should still be so.

>>243338
Can't you change the speeds and such in the BIOS?
>>
polite bump
>>
>>243338
SATA channels are entirely independent. You can see this for yourself by attaching a bunch of devices then looking at the lines in the POST where it says what speed each link is running at.

Motherboards have extra SATA chipsets because every single motherboard has the same chipset now. No-one makes their own chipsets, they all just use the exact same ones made by the processor manufacturers. If a motherboard wants more or faster ports than Intel/AMD is prepared to offer, it needs to include a third-party SATA controller.

>>243343
You don't need to worry about that. He's wrong.
>>
>>243428
So the only slow down I'll experience is the one that is connected to the adapter. the SSD and mechanical HD will work just fine? Good.

Thanks for the advice everyone. Now I can continue with my purchasing with no problems.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.