[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

i.p related question

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

File: NxIgE5CPHIWTKm9ECCXH.png (85KB, 329x304px) Image search: [Google]
NxIgE5CPHIWTKm9ECCXH.png
85KB, 329x304px
Hey /wsr/
I'm in bit of trouble as I run a small fan wiki page for an obscure tv show and every once in a while I run into people who commit vandalism on the pages. Sometimes finding out if they come to reoffend is easy due to them using the same i.p but I know some of them can use proxies and sometimes innocent users can get caught in the crossfire due to them using the same proxies.

What's the difference between static i.p and dynamic i.p in terms of if there's a hit from people having collisions from static i.ps versus dynamic ones? If two people are having a crossover from a dynamic i.p address does that prove beyond a shadow of doubt that they are the same person? I'm not very good with computers as you might expect.
>>
No, an IP doesn't prove anything about anyone. It's possible two of your members have the same ISP.

Lets say user1 (U1) has IP x.x.x.x, and U2 has IP y.y.y.y. When U1 lease is up, their IP is sent back to the pool of available IPs for that ISP and U1 is sent z.z.z.z for a new IP.

U2s lease is up, and sends y.y.y.y to the pool and gets x.x.x.x sent back. U2 now looks like U1 to your server by just looking at the IPs.

What you will want to check for is things like UserAgent stuff about their browser which could help you narrow down who's who.
>>
>>238947
Okay, well, thank you for your response.
>>
Link to wiki? Im super curious.

Is it Franklin the turtle?
>>
>>238947
Yeah, and SFW?

ISPs are, by law, required to keep records of which customer had which IP when.
>>
>>238937
Unless you have thousands of users, you'll see little-to-no fallout if you ban an ISP's entire regional hub.

If you've got a hundred users tops, it's highly unlikely that you'll have two from Shitstain, Idaho.

Just reverse DNS the IP, and say you get "blah.xyz.wherever.whatever.someisp.com", just ban anything that matches "wherever.whatever.someisp.com".
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.