[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Upgrading my RAM.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: RAM.jpg (295KB, 792x605px) Image search: [Google]
RAM.jpg
295KB, 792x605px
Been thinking about upgrading the RAM on my PC but i dont fully know all about what i should go for. im no tech wizard and dont know too much about how to build a pc.

The motherboard i have is an Alienware Aurora ALX 4VWF2 with 6 slots. 3-channel DDR3 and DDR3-XMP. the max limit of each card being 4 gb. Also, it's DDR2.

does this mean i have to get a number of ram cards divisible by 3 (3 or 6) or does it mean i can go 4 or even 5 cards?
i want to upgrade to at least 16 gb to future safe my ram. What frequency on the card do i get? there is so much information on the subject i never seem to be able to find the right answer. Any ideas?
>>
The internet says your motherboard s upports DDR3 not DDR2.

What do you have now?
>>
Woops, yeah sorry.
Big typo i meant DDR3
i currently have 3 2GB cards which is starting to hold me down from playing more and more games.
>>
>>237444
that is 6gb, i think that going with 8gb is enought.
if you have 6 slots just buy 2gb cards and fill them up
>>
>>237448
You really think 8 GB is enough? most games coming out now has 8 as their minimum limit.
And i dont want to have to upgrade anytime soon again. so i was maybe thinking about going for 3 4GB cards, so i have enough to buffer a little on future games and still have 3 slots ready to upgrade if that time ever comes.

Only problem is that most cards are sold either in a 2-pack or 4-pack, and i wonder then with 3-channel DDR3, do i HAVE to have only 3 cards? or will it be ok to have 4 cards active at a time?

also, there are always a lot of difference in the frequency of the cards. how does this matter and what should i look out for?
>>
>>237451
you can have as many cards as you want, it doesn't matter the number or if you don't have the 6 slot full, also it don't need to be multiple of 3 (i don't know if this is how you say it). also, i think +frequency is better.
>>
>>237458
Ok, that's neat.
Then i think ill go for a 4-pack 4GB cards.
I dont know why i thought i read somewhere that it was what the triple channel was all about.
But if that's not the case then that makes it a lot easier for me. Is there a top limit of how high frequency i can go for on my motherboard or should i just look for the highest number?

Thanks a lot for the help so far, anon.
>>
>>237459
i dont know much about frequency, i recommend reading the manual of you motherboard to see the max it can handle
>>
Just download more
>>
>>237458
>also it don't need to be multiple of 3
This is not true.

LGA 1366 is triple-channel, not dual-channel, so if you don't populate all three channels of bank 0 or bank 1 with the same size DIMMs, it can't run in triple channel interleaved mode, and your memory will be slower.

Yes, you don't have to use a multiple of three, because you don't have to use multichannel. But going from multichannel interleaved (which it's using currently >>237444) to flex-memory mutichannel will reduce your memory performance, non-trivially.

You know how everyone keeps telling you to get memory in pairs and put them in the same coloured slots? Well same deal, except your computer has three channels not two, and needs trios of memory, not pairs.

>>237459
Really bad idea. Either get three, or six. Additionally, if you use any 4GB DIMMs, your memory controller has to clock the memory bus down to support the extra chips. So either go loud at 24GB/1333 with 6x4GB, or go fast with 12GB/1600 using 6x2GB.
>>
>>237564
And there he is!
The wizard who knew.
Really great help, Anon. You saved me a whole lot of hassle :U
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.