[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Advice

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 5

File: 41GOrQyY1DL.jpg (25KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
41GOrQyY1DL.jpg
25KB, 500x500px
I ordered the components for a custom built gaming PC back in 2012 and am now looking to upgrade. I'm an amateur so I would love any input or advice. I use the PC for school and gaming-wise I run things like Skyrim, Overwatch, CSGO etc. My budget is ~$1000 CDN

Here is the current setup:
CPU: Intel Core i7 3770K @ 3.50GHz
RAM: 8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3
MOBO: ASUS P8Z77-V LK
GFX: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660
SSD: 111GB OCZ-VERTEX3 (BOOT)
SATA: 931GB Seagate ST1000DM003-1CH162
POWER: 750w

I am definitely going to upgrade my chassis for aesthetic reasons, and I'm pretty sure I've decided on the Corsair CC-9011048-WW (pictured) However there is also the option of a Mini/Micro ATX version of the case which is significantly cheaper, but I'm unaware if the smaller MOBOs will fit my needs, thoughts? My current MOBO hasn't given me any problems, and I'm definitely not upgrading my CPU.

What do you think I should upgrade? Should I buy a MiniATX, regular ATX or just use my old one? Should I upgrade my RAM? What else do I need when purchasing a new chassis? Should I get 2 new SSDs or just one? Should I buy custom weaved cables? How can I tell if RGB LED strips are compatible with a MOBO or PS?

Right now the things I may purchase are:

GFX: (CDN$ 365.93) EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 GAMING, ACX 2.0 (Single Fan), 6GB GDDR5 Graphics Card, 06G-P4-6161-KR
MOBO: (CDN$ 240.99) GIGABYTE G1 Gaming GA-Z170X-Gaming 7 (rev. 1.0) LGA 1151 Intel Z170 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
SSD: (CDN$ 159.99) Kingston SSDNow UV400 2.5" 480GB SATA III TLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) SUV400S37/480G

Any advice, thoughts or ideas would be fantastic
>>
I think you should get a regular ATX again because that's what I would do. Leave ram alone if all you do is game and school stuff. If that SSD is enough for your OS then leave it alone. Don't buy custom weaved cables.

>How can I tell if RGB LED strips are compatible with a MOBO or PS?

What is a rgb led strip?

I'm thinking you will HAVE to buy new ram if you get that motherboard. Looks to me like it only supports ddr4.
>>
>>236433
thanks for the reply.

http://www.banggood.com/Wholesale-24-Key-IR-Controller-5050-RGB-5M-300-LED-Strip-Multicolor-Waterproof-Lamp-p-51601.html?rmmds=search

these are the LED strips i've been looking at. there are others on amazon and newegg labelled as "for computers" and such but they look exactly the same as this

also do you think it is even worth upgrading my MOBO? I dont know how to tell when or if its nescessary. i havent had any problems with mine so far. also that RAM incompatibility...

off the top of your head is there anything else I would need frankensteining into a new chassis? like fans and cables? I had mine built for me from ncix
>>
>>236435

>also do you think it is even worth upgrading my MOBO?

No. That motherboard seems like perfect match for the rest of your system. Only reason to replace it would be if it's malfunctioning or missing features that you need. Replacing it won't speed up your PC. I'm guessing you have plenty of ram slots left and plenty of SATA ports available.

I have no idea about those led strip things. Not sure why you'd even want those around a PC but looks like as long as you have a free molex connector on your power supply it should power up. Not certain though.

>off the top of your head is there anything else I would need frankensteining into a new chassis?

Can you post a pic of the inside of your chassis?.

How many fans on your chassis?. If they're dirt cheap I'd probably buy a $20 set of Corsair silent fans to put in it especially if you want to add or change color of glow in there.

Other than that size is the only really important thing for the motherbaord to fit. Width is a bit important if you plan on adding a tall heatsink cooler.
>>
File: nappy.jpg (88KB, 676x901px) Image search: [Google]
nappy.jpg
88KB, 676x901px
>>236439
this is filthy, dont judge. but this is a shot through the window of my current pc. its been a while since i've cleaned it as I've been meaning to buy a new chassis. only 2 fans still work on my current chassis, and i think the heatsink is that silver thing right?

https://www.amazon.ca/Corsair-Carbide-Cube-Case-CC-9011034-WLED/dp/B00H8JLM94/ref=sr_1_101?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1480408055&sr=1-101&th=1

this is the new chassis I am buying
>>
>>236443

How many ram slots do you have? on that motherboard?
>>
>>236443
Dual-chamber Direct Airflow Path design for outstanding cooling potential
Clever, space-saving design still offers lots of internal volume
Includes three High Performance Air Series AF140L fans for better, quieter cooling
Tons of expansion room for high performance air cooling and liquid cooling
Full side panel window
Front dust filter
Cable routing cutouts with rubber grommets

Item Weight 7 Kg
Product Dimensions 41.4 x 33.3 x 45.7 cm
Item model number CC-9011048-WW
Color Arctic White
Height 45.8 centimeters
Length 41.5 centimeters
Weight 7 kilograms
Width 33.2 centimeters
Batteries Included? No
Brand Name Corsair

incase you dont want to click on link
>>
>>236446
i believe there are 4 slots and im using 2, but i am not 100% sure. i think theyre covered by the cooler
>>
File: P_500.jpg (60KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
P_500.jpg
60KB, 500x500px
>>236446
>ASUS P8Z77-V LK
>>236449
there may only actually be 2? I cant remember honestly. i had to call tech support once and i moved one of the slots the ram was in.

i believe this is a pic of my board. its hard to see into my pc
>>
>>236449

The reason I'm asking is because your ram should be placed in every other slot to run dual channel (I'm assuming they're identical and are a kit).

The motherboard you first specified as current setup is supposed to have four.
>>
>>236452
ah I see. well one was intitally in a different spot when it was sent to me, and worked for a years, but this summer my pc kept failing, fragmenting and lagging out so i called tech support and he told me to do this as the other way was wrong?? my pc has been working fine other than i have a non genuine copy of windows that i cant resolve even though i actually own a legit copy
>>
>>236456

The ram should be every other slot. Even look at the manual it will tell you that. That's why the ram slots are colored every other slot.

Anyways, do you really want to spend that much on a case?. Is it just because you like how it looks or for other reasons?.

>non genuine copy of windows that i cant resolve even though i actually own a legit copy

You tried activating it by phone? with the key?. Where is your key? printed on the case? or on your receipt or something?.
>>
>>236456

You know Speccy? the hardware program?. Can you post a screenshot to confirm your hardware?.
>>
>>236458
well thats not good news I guess.. i'll try switching it back around. im not sure if my ram stick have to be in the same slot.

the reason for the new case is mainly aesthetic, i like the cube and I want something that i can light up with RGB leds and be happy with for the next like 5 - 10 years. my current one is heavy, massive and has a disc drive that i dont need and like i said only 2 fans work and I have no idea how to upgrade fans. its also hideous and missing parts

in regards to the windows, what happened is when i got my pc the installation disc of windows was delayed in shipping, so i used a pirated copy and that worked for about 3 years. then i tried wiping my pc and fucked everything up. so i reinstalled windows and entered my key but it wouldnt accept the key as viable for the OS i have installed currently as I think it was perhaps a different one (like home user, premium, business) i havent called microsoft but now i just have the disc and key that cant be put on my os but ive been to busy to resolve it, im working with a black desktop..... i wanted to get a new SSD, fresh install and just get my PC working like new again.

any suggestions?
>>
File: RAM.png (9KB, 424x388px) Image search: [Google]
RAM.png
9KB, 424x388px
>>236459
>>
>>236461

Well, I meant the motherbaord and general summary screen.

>OS i have installed currently

Make sure the key you have gets entered on the correct version. If it's a windows 7 pro key you need to activate it on a pro install same with ultimate and stuff like that.
>>
File: my pc yo.png (45KB, 988x473px) Image search: [Google]
my pc yo.png
45KB, 988x473px
>>236462
yea i just realized the key is for Win 7 Pro 64 bit

i tried to install that when i reinstalled but it defaulted back to the pirated version. i dont know how to like completely wipe my pc i guess
>>
>>236463

download a real windows 7 iso from here https://archive.org/details/en_windows_7_ultimate_with_sp1_x64_dvd_u_677332.iso_201606

Follow this guide to make all versions available on in it http://www.askvg.com/how-to-choose-desired-windows-7-edition-version-during-setup/ (it's easy as hell but looks long and complicated).

put it on usb or cd and install. Obviously select pro version and try using the legitimate key.
>>
>>236464
solid thanks! got more answers here than expected!!
>>
>>236466

No problem.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.