[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

IP address understanding

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

File: Good_Deal1911.jpg (67KB, 600x803px) Image search: [Google]
Good_Deal1911.jpg
67KB, 600x803px
Any tips on changing your IP address? I'm a complete noob. All i know is my ip address is static. Also I have a modem and a wireless router and they seem to have different ip's?

pic unrelated
>>
By changing the mac address of your router you might be assigned a new ip by your isp. In any case it would be best to contact them about your ip.
>>
If your IP address is, in fact, static, you will have to contact your ISP.

>Also I have a modem and a wireless router and they seem to have different ip's?

Your router has to assign a local address to each of your devices. Don't confuse this with the IP address your ISP assigned to you.
>>
>>232434
Every computer has to have a different IP: if a computer didn't have an IP you wouldn't be able to talk to it, and if two computers had the same IP you wouldn't know which one you were talking to.
>>
>>232434
>all i know is my ip address is static
you are thinking of a mac address which would be like a vin number, it tends to stick with you. your ip address is issued by a dhcp server, ie your router. so it would be like a drivers license.
if you are full blown tinfoil hat either get tails os or cubes os, both spoof your mac address, and if you use tor network you will have a random ip. however it is slower than using the plain internet browser.

>>232558
>Every computer has to have a different IP.
fun fact, ipv4 ran out of addresses maybe over a decade ago, so computers could share ip addresses, and things had to be handled in a certain way, with dhcp servers/routers using mac addresses preferably, so if two computers had the same mac address they would be treated as one and the same. ipv6, which is still in the process of phasing out ipv4, can have enough addresses for possibly every light bulb.
>>
>>232558
>What is a router
>What are internal ip adresses
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.