[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why shouldn't a Wi-Fi extender be used with a power strip?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 3

Alright, so a little backstory:

Been using a Wi-Fi extender for a little while, at the same time while having issues with my internet router. We got the router replaced and things are much better...except the wi-fi extender (which I intend to use ethernet cables with for a desktop computer and consoles etc.) kept disconnecting for a few seconds every few minutes/hours. This would be disastrous for certain games like Demon's Souls (PS3, but the issue is if I am playing multiplayer this will be a nightmare).

However, I had a power strip with surge protection. So I plugged the extender into the power strip and so far, no disconnections what so ever. I called my father to tell him I fixed the issue, but he claimed that "You are not supposed to do that" and went on about how the router will connect to the wi-fi extender via the house's power line...which seemed odd to me when he first said it. But the thing is the connection seemed just fine to me.

The thing is, I would rather he just got an ethernet mains into a ethernet splitter so I could plug them into my consoles and all that rather than using an extender, but the way my house is built that will be a massive hassle.

Can someone tell me if using the Wi-Fi extender on a power strip is actually that big of an issue? And do Wi-Fi extenders actually use the powerlines in the house to connect to the router?

And what may be a bigger problem, I have had issues with those particular power sockets before, they often turn off briefly if another switch in the house is turned off or on. I told my father about this but he pretty much claimed it was out of the question, for some reason.
>>
>>232367
>the router will connect to the wi-fi extender via the house's power line
lol
>>
File: image.jpg (11KB, 259x194px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
11KB, 259x194px
>>232367
>do Wi-Fi extenders actually use the powerlines in the house to connect to the router?
They do if they're powerline ones.

>>232397
retard.
>>
File: Rule 2.jpg (21KB, 369x113px) Image search: [Google]
Rule 2.jpg
21KB, 369x113px
>>232397

You have to be 18 to post here
>>
>>232397
>he doesn't know Ethernet alone can power a device
>>
>>232410
>>232438
>>232446
>(You)
I consider myself a newfag and I can't believe this shit, what's next? being called an idiotic faggot for ending my sentences with desu or making a reference to some "ancient obscure meme" that kym won't feature?
>>
>>232453

This is a Tech Support type thread, and you are poking fun at someone who stated a fact, as if they had just claimed that Trump has the first fucking idea of what he is doing.

Shitpost all you want, just don't do it here.

If you really are a newfag and don't know any better, then I suggest you lurk more.

Have a good day, Anon.
>>
>>232467
>Tech Support
>with only six replies, one being a "shitpost" other 3 replies being three idiots who didn't get a joke half the fucking site knows and another two shitting up OP thread even more by discussing these posts.
Yeah sure.
>>
>>232453
If this is some shit from /g/, please take it back there.
>>
PowerLine adapters work best if there are no other devices in parallel on the power you're using. Fluctuations in load cause signal degradation. Try using it connected directly on the socket, if it has a pass-through, it's ok to use that. If you have a double socket on the wall, make sure you use only one. Otherwise you're probably still in parallel as there's usually just one line for the two sockets.
On newer gen adapters it is necessary to use grounded sockets, otherwise you will not get max speeds.
These rules apply for both adapters.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.