[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hi folks. /before reading, I know this can be a touchy subject

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

File: dDEfZbLf33WZeVNKtY2MjZ[1].jpg (96KB, 1280x854px) Image search: [Google]
dDEfZbLf33WZeVNKtY2MjZ[1].jpg
96KB, 1280x854px
Hi folks. /before reading, I know this can be a touchy subject with data security etc, but I'm not asking for any work arounds or anything potentially illegal, I just need to understand my problem better.

I'm trying to recover data from a hard drive with a failed MBR. It's an old drive my dad kept hold of from years ago with the intent to recover loads of old family photos.

I've saved a disk image and 'recovered' lots of raw files, but a lot of the images are appearing 'corrupt' and won't display, despite having dimension data and reasonably appropriate file sizes. The filesystem has also been recovered, so I can see the original folders these images were saved in.

At the time we used to have separate passworded user account access to the machine the drive ran in - I'M NOT ASKING FOR A WAY TO BREAK THE SECURITY PASSWORDS.

Could these passwords be the what's preventing some images from opening properly?
>>
>>231898
No, Windows passwords just protect "whether Windows lets you log on", and the windows keychain, which is primarily used by IE to store passwords, but also remembers the passwords you use to access network drives.

>>231898
>I'M NOT ASKING FOR A WAY TO BREAK THE SECURITY PASSWORDS.
You don't need to kiss ass like that. The criterion isn't "is this l33t or not", it's "is this illegal or not". So:

- asking how to break your friend's password: not allowed
- asking how to break your own password: allowed

>>231898
If all you want is your photos back, get GetDataBack Simple, and have it ignore the filesystem(s) and just copy off anything that's a JPEG.
>>
>>231898
failed mbr shouldnt stop you from plugging it into another working machine (obviously not as main drive) and just copping the files across
>>
File: image.jpg (66KB, 495x580px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
66KB, 495x580px
>>231905
The partition table lives in the MBR.
>>
>>231904

Thanks. just getting inb4 someone else reports the thread thinking I'm trying to break passwords.

I've recovered the filesystem AND all raw .jpg .jpeg .bmp etc files using EaseUS and OnTrack recovery, and the files form both have the same problem. Just ruling this out.

tfth
>>
>>231909
If they were fragmented, you're not going to get more than the first 4k without the FAT/MFT.
>>
>>231907
what happens if you just plug it into another comp, im sure you can just grab the data, have you tried chkdsk'ing the drive it might be unmounted

i use MiniTool Power Data Recover and click on damaged partition recovery, i like this because it wont give up on a file it just keeps at em and it doesnt matter if the drive skips in and out of reading.....but as the other guy said GetDataBack is a great option
>>
>>231923
Careful, random computers might try to repair or format it.

If you're going to do anything, make an image of it first.
>>
>>231933
under what circumstance would a comp format it without your permission, and it wouldnt try to fix if its not primary or even better plugged in after the comps on, making an image is a great idea but if he's already getting corrupt files would it even 100%

sometimes people just like the sound of their own voice, i hate posting comp advice, to many i know best retards
>>
>>231923

It comes back unreadable and asks to be formatted, which I haven't done. First thing I did was create an image using EaseUS/OnTrack and so far I've been working from that.
>>
File: dirtybitusbdrive[1].png (10KB, 470x290px) Image search: [Google]
dirtybitusbdrive[1].png
10KB, 470x290px
>>231938
Yeah, Windows never does this.
>even better plugged in after the comps on
(pic related)

>sometimes people just like the sound of their own voice
Indeed.
>>
>>231950
ye it does that most times, doesnt make you any smarter, you just continue, what is your point, and when are you gonna give him a 3rd option and not just look stupid on mine
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.