[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is overwatch GAMEPLAY tainted by microtransactions?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

File: Overwatch-Microtransactions.png (2MB, 1807x777px) Image search: [Google]
Overwatch-Microtransactions.png
2MB, 1807x777px
I cannot find a straight answer to this anywhere: is the GAMEPLAY ITSELF of Overwatch tainted by microtransactions?

What I mean by this is are there any MATERIAL, IN-GAME COMBAT ADVANTAGES (to include merely tactical) that are affected by microtransactions in Overwatch?

I'm not trying to discuss inane, pedantic details like how much "boxes" or "keys" or whatever cost, or how frequently they drop naturally compared to price, or how much Gabe is jewing us in ANY OTHER ASPECT THAN GAMEPLAY ITSELF.

For example, I would define TF2 as BEING TAINTED, since you are stuck without access to materially different weapons unless you grind/pay.
>Want the rocket with unlimited reserve ammo and a powerful secondary attack?
>Or the medic melee that lets you see enemy health?
>better pay $X
>or $Y + GabeTax on the community market
>or try to find someone to trade with
>or wait 3 weeks and hope you get it in random drops

Whereas (to the best of my knowledge) CS:GO would classify as NOT TAINTED, since there is no concievable way in which microtransactions could even have the slightest effect on gameplay.
>>
Are you sure you've not got Jewish blood somewhere in you
>>
If you can't find an answer to this on Google you haven't seriously tried, at all.

>Overwatch
>Gabe
>Cow Mangler
>""""""powerful""""""
Take your fucking meds.

No the loot boxes don't have gameplay things in them.
>>
>>231836
No, just a healthy dose of /tech/ paranoia

>>231837
So you can confirm that the microtransactions in Overwatch have absolutely no gameplay implications whatsoever?
>>
>>231838
If you don't consider the loot in CS:GO bad, you won't consider the loot in Overwatch bad.

Just play it you nutbar.
>>
>>231840
OK, so Overwatch's microtransaction ecosystem is analagous to CS:GO, **rather than** TF2?
>>
>>231841
Yes.
>>
>>231835
Well, given that the only point of Overwatch is to get loot boxes, and you can buy them instead of having to play the game, that's a solid "yes".

The entire metagame of Overwatch (such that it has one) can be played by making in-app purchases.
>>
>>231861
>given that the only point of Overwatch is to get loot boxes, and you can buy them instead of having to play the game, that's a solid "yes".
see, stuff like this is the shit that makes me paranoid

I thought it was about shooting people and winning matches for bragging rights, with cosmetics on top to feed the jews like every other Steam shooter
>>
File: 1419834004514.gif (804KB, 250x270px) Image search: [Google]
1419834004514.gif
804KB, 250x270px
>>231835
Microtransactions are always gonna be trash to a game, so yes, its tainted. The difference between TF2 and Overwatch is that Overwatch is a full priced retail game, and TF2 is completely free to play. Also, in Overwatch, if you want the optional cosmetics you either HAVE to gamble with microtransactions, or deal with a grind thats far worse than TF2s. There is no option to simply buy or trade for any item you want.

And seriously, if you think TF2 is a huge cash sink to get all the weapons, youre just a dipship. You can get roughly 10 weapons per week just for playing, most of which aren't even better than the stock weapons. A fair number of weapons can be unlocked through achievements. Any doubles or unwanted weapons you get can be easily traded for what you want, with plenty of bots that will do one for one trades. Dont know what you want? Try out any weapon for free from the shop for a full week to see what you like. And if you REALLY wanted all the weapons right away, you could buy a key for $2.50 and use that to trade for every weapon in the game plus a few nice hats. Of course, you can get anything you want in the game without spending a dime.

So I guess TF2 is tainted also, but I would say less tainted than Overwatch, because TF2 gives you far more options to get to all of the games content and is free at base, while Overwatch locks it's content away behind either a paywall or a grindwall, and that's after taking $40 down to begin with.
>>
>>231863
377 hrs on record and I still don't have all the weapons

and while the "no weapon is a *straight* upgrade" argument holds (some) water, OP specified that even tactical advantages are a little too fucky for him.
>And if you REALLY wanted all the weapons right away, you could buy a key for $2.50 and use that to trade for every weapon in the game
expand on this a bit? sounds p neato
>Of course, you can get anything you want in the game without spending a dime.
Your inventory is literally limited to not be able to even hold one instance of every physically unique weapon until you've paid them money
>>
>>231835
>is the GAMEPLAY ITSELF of Overwatch tainted by microtransactions?

No. You don't get any kind of power boost from the items in loot boxes. They're purely cosmetic. Moreso, you don't have to pay money for the cosmetics. They drop from loot boxes which are really easy to get.

>CS:GO would classify as NOT TAINTED

CS:GO's system is actually worse than Overwatch's. in OW, you don't have to buy keys to open your loot boxes.

>>231862
If you think the only point to gaming is to get cosmetic skins then you need to rethink your life.
>>
>>231835
>>231862
It's not on Steam and Gabe isn't involved you fuckwit.

Stop being a colossal retard and listening to people who are obviously fucking with you. Of course the fucking game is about winning matches.
>>
>>231878
It's literally the only point of Overwatch's metagame.

If you're content not playing the metagame, that's fine, but the game pushes it hard, and if you want to be able to use the content you paid for, you need to engage with the metagame or start buying loot boxes in packs of fifty.
>>
>>231869
Okay, I gotta get a bit into trading and crafting a bit.
To start, buying something like a key from the in game shop should upgrade your account to a premium one, which will give you way more backpack space and all the trading privileged n junk. Now a key can be traded for about 27 refined metal right now, give or take. A piece of refined metal is worth three reclaimed metal, and a reclaimed metal is worth three scrap metal. So that's 243 pieces of scrap metal all together from one key. A fuckton. Normally, you get scrap metal by crafting two weapons together, so that's usually what a piece of scrap metal is worth. Theres around 140 unique weapons in the game not including reskins I think. I probably counted wrong, but its close to that. So you would just need to take 70 of those scrap, go over to a trading bot like on scrap.tf, and trade for all of the weapons you want. That even leaves you with a good chunk of refined metal. Go and trade for a hat for each of your classes while you're at it.

Its some hoops to jump through and it might seem like much, but not too hard.
>>
>>231869
Also you're right on the second part. I forgot how small your inventory is as a free to play. Although, you could still probably bust your ass trading, sell some junk on the market, and get a dollar to upgrade your account with. That's not something a new player is likely to manage though. Unless you sell trading cards. That would work.
>>
>>231882
No it's not.
>>
>>231883
ah, thxpham

>>231882
lolwat.
>the metagame consists exclusively showing off how much money you got jewed out of (with a seasoning of how lucky you are)
>>
>>231901
I think what you meant was "No it's not, the point of Overwatch's metagame is _______".

If you can't fill in the blank, it means you're wrong.
>>
>>231910
I don't know why you think we're disagreeing; you summarised it pretty well.
>>
>>231913
But, surely there are other aspects of the metagame? Like finding different strategies and counter-strategies, etc...? I mean, CS:GO has the same deal with the cosmetics, and yet there's NO DOUBT that there's plenty of metagame beyond that. You just ignore the cosmetics and let the stupid/rich people get jewed to keep the servers running
>>
>>231911
What I meant is you're a fucking idiot. Please execute yourself.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.