[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I’m having trouble with the computer I built. I used it a bit

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

I’m having trouble with the computer I built. I used it a bit one morning, shut it down, and when I came back in the evening it wouldn’t turn on anymore. I don’t know what happened to it but suspect a power surge.

I replaced the power supply which fixed that problem but revealed another one; turning it on set the fans going but nothing would display on the screen.

Using another computer I was able to test the screen, and it’s OK. I was also able to stick the video card from my machine into this one and it booted up fine and displayed. I was also able to hook up the hard drive from my machine and access files but several testing programs reported potentially serious problems with the drive, so I got a new one.

I got a POST tester card which gave a code relating to the processor but since I read that the motherboard is much more likely to fail than the processor I replaced that but nothing changed.

So I got a new processor but again, nothing changed. I’ve tried hooking up the new drive and the old one and swapping out the RAM chips but nothing changes.

So many parts are new from when the problem began that I’m at a loss. What am I missing here?

Image not really related.
>>
I've ran into shit like that. In my case (no pun intended) i eventually gave up and abandoned the PSU and mobo while replacing with a new solid set that weren't allergic to eachother.

In those same cases I eventually used them later on for Frankenstein builds and miraculously they just ended up working.
>>
>>230604
Remember that a POSTcard only tells you what step the POST failed at, not why it failed.

If the CPU 12v supply is flaky, that'll come up as a CPU error, even though the CPU is fine.
>>
>>230613

Also, what are specs?
>>
>>230620
The original motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3. The new one is a Gigabyte GA-970A-D3P

The original processor is an AMD FX-6100. The new processor is an AMD FX-8320.

Want any more?
>>
>>230628

yeah, ram and psu and everything else in there.
>>
>>230604
I don't wanna insult your intelligence, but when you replaced the power supply, you remembered the CPU power connector, right?

And you definitely didn't plug an 8-pin GPU power into an 8-pin CPU power, right?
>>
>>230636
I did, but you've made me realize that I haven't been considering the cables as a possible source of the problem - I've been re-using them.

Now at least I have something else to check on in search of the problem.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.