[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Exact translation please?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 2

File: johan.jpg (34KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
johan.jpg
34KB, 600x450px
What does Johan say to the prostitute at 10:45? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fq11o6mZC10
>>
これで薬を買うといい。

Kore de kusuri wo kau to ii.

Kore - this
de- postposition particle indicating usage
so kore de - with this
kusuri - medicine, pills, drugs.
wo - postposition particle indicating the object of the sentence
kau - buy
to ii - really hard to translate but being very literal, something along the lines of "it is good".

So a literal translation would be something like
"It is good if you buy pills with this."
Which sounds really awkward in english.
>>
File: fuck you spam filter.png (816B, 709x235px) Image search: [Google]
fuck you spam filter.png
816B, 709x235px
>>228791
I'd like it if you spent this on medicine.

>>228813
>to ii - really hard to translate but being very literal, something along the lines of "it is good".
~いい is always a polite advisement or request. See [1].

といい is a softer form of がいい. See [2].

It looks like you're trying to understand Japanese by replacing the Japanese words, one-by-one, with English words, to create some kind of English-tag-soup, then going back and trying to clean the mess up into comprehensible English.

Don't do this.

You'll have an easier and more productive time of it if you read the sentence, understand the sentence (in Japanese) then compose an equivalent English sentence from scratch. You need to start thinking in Japanese, or you'll never surpass machine translation.
>>
>>228813
>>228869
Thank you boys, I have no idea of japanese whatsoever and I would like to learn. So "It is good(It's ok) if you buy (Your?) pills with this" could be a fair English equivalent to "これで薬を買うといい。
" ?
>>
>>229069
Well not really, because "It is good(It's ok) if you buy (Your?) pills with this" makes you sound like an ESL, whereas これで薬を買うといい doesn't make you sound like a JSL.

Also 薬 is always medicine, whereas "pills" heavily implies psychoactive drugs, which is not what he's saying at all.

If you want to do a not-shit translation, you need to notice stuff the English is implying when it shouldn't be.
>>
>>228869
I wasn't implying it was a "good" translation, I was just trying to be as literal as possible. Even I can see how terrible the flow of that is.

The way it was translated in the OP was fine. I imagined the reason OP asked for this rq to begin with was because he wanted a "word by word" translation.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.