[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How to get a useless driver removed from my computer?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

A couple of days ago, I wanted to transfer some images and music from my computer to my Nokia 225 RM-1011 phone, but apparently Windows couldn't find drivers for it.

So I made my research and ended up downloading this http://www.mediafire.com/file/6j11xj69pca8lxn/Nokia+225+USB+Driver.rar

After I clicked on the Installx86.exe after checking it with avast which says it's safe(I have x64 windows 7) and I get a popup that tells me that this driver has no signature and may harm my computer.

I was relieved to see that it was an actual driver, but after installing it, my phone still can't connect to the computer.

So now I just want to get rid of the driver I installed, is it possible, and can anybody confirm that the file is safe?
>>
bump couldn't find it in program files x86 and x64
>>
>>227815
I'm too lazy to confirm if its safe, chuck it in virustotal yourself if you want to check.

To uninstall drivers on Win 7, open the Device Manager and search for it in there.

Oh and if you want to transfer files, its easiest just to use bluetooth with older phones
>>
>>227829
Well device manager says that my phone has no driver at all, that's why I'm scared.

According to Virustotal, the file was analyzed a week ago, two anti viruses (K7anti virus and K7gw) say it's "riskware", the rest say it's okay.

I know this is dumb, but just to make sure, virustotal uploads the entire file and not just the filename right?
>>
>>227842
>just to make sure, virustotal uploads the entire file and not just the filename right?
Yeah, it would be pretty pointless if it was just the filename, given how many different files are called "setup.exe".
>>
>>227815
>after installing it, my phone still can't connect to the computer.
That's because you only did half a job.

All the driver does is lets windows drive the USB/serial bridge inside the phone. You still need to find the program that talks to the phone over serial to copy your data out.

Don't worry about an unsigned USB driver. Windows won't load it unless you plug the phone in.
>>
>>227853
Are you sure it's just a USB driver? When I booted my computer this morning, right after the Windows logo, the screen went completely blue for 5 seconds or so before displaying the actual desktop.

It could be a coincidence, but that never happened before, do you think it interfered with the graphics card drivers? I'm not much of a techie so I wouldn't know.

Did anyone encounter this problem before? It was kind of a light blue, not XP crash screen kind of blue.

I want to get rid of this shit, I don't even care about the phone anymore, so far, the device manager won't help, and I can't find anything at first glance in the program files folders at first glance.

Help me please, I can't afford losing this computer, should just reinstall Win7 or any other OS?
>>
anyone?
>>
>>227899
It's just a coincidence.

Windows doesn't load drivers for devices that aren't there.

What's happening is you're all panickey, and then Windows crashes like it was going to do anyway because it's Windows, so you think it's because of Something You Did.

It's not.

If it'll help you sleep better, you can probably use a System Restore point to roll Windows back to before you installed the driver.
>>
>>227933
So there is no way to find where the driver is installed? thanks anyways but I would really like to know, I'm autistic about keeping my computer clean.
>>
>>227933

>Windows doesn't load drivers for devices that aren't there.

You're assuming that what he installed was a driver. It probably wasn't.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.