[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can anyone explain the ssd/hdd thing. I have an option of: >2TB

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

Can anyone explain the ssd/hdd thing. I have an option of:
>2TB 5400 rpm SATA+ 128GB M.2 SSD
and
>512GB PCIe® NVMe™ M.2 SSD
I dunno what any of that means though.
thanks
>>
>>225103
For the average end user/consumer, you will notice the most improvement in operating system boot times with an SSD. If you are a gamer there is some improvement there, but mostly in level loading times when a lot of data from the drive is being accessed and loaded into memory.

M.2 indicates the type of motherboard interface the SSD uses. It's newer/faster.
>>
>>225109
thanks. However they're both m.2 ssd. So I'm not really sure what one you're saying is better?
>>
>>225126
I'm not trying to tell you which is better. It depends on what you want to use them for. If you need to store lots of high resolution images or video, or lots of video games, you probably want a large HDD. You could store everything on SSDs, but that can be quite expensive if you're talking several TBs of data.
If what you posted are two options, a lot of people like to go with a setup like the first. The operating system and frequently used programs go on the SSD for faster boot/load times, and maybe a game or two depending on how much space they use. Everything else goes on the much larger HDD.
>>
>>225126
M.2 is just a socket.

You can run SATA or NVMe over it. NVMe is significantly faster than SATA.
>>
>>225130
>>225133
Okay so basically the first one has more data space and the second has less but is much faster?
On my current computer I'm only using 138gb space so 512 should be more then enough.
Thanks a lot guys
>>
>>225130
>people like to go with a setup like the first. The operating system and frequently used programs go on the SSD for faster boot/load times, and maybe a game or two depending on how much space they use
You can also configure Intel Rapid Storage to use the SSD as a cache for the hard disk, which is probably how the laptop will ship.

Advantages:
- only one drive letter
- you don't have to configure anything, the computer automatically keeps the most-used data on the SSD
- whatever you're using is put on the SSD, without you having to move or reinstall anything
- SSD doesn't waste space storing stuff that doesn't need to be accessed at SSD speeds: Windows logs, outro movies of games, mp3s, etc.
- Therefore more of the data you actually access is read off the SSD, and more of the data you never access is read off the hard disk
Disadvantages:
- only 2.0TB of space instead of 2.125TB.
>>
>>225140
You're saying the second option (nvme) still comes with 2.0TB?
>>
>>225142
No, it definitely doesn't.

But it will have an empty drive bay you can put a hard disk in later, if you'd like.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.