[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can't boot Windows 10 after deleting Linux partition.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2

File: JJ6d7Pa.jpg (127KB, 1000x1334px)
JJ6d7Pa.jpg
127KB, 1000x1334px
I may have done something very bad.
Some time ago, I installed Linux Mint because I thought I would use it but no. So today I decided to uninstall it because I needed the disc space, so I looked up a tutorial and it said to delete its partition and then to fix the Windows boot loader. So I deleted the partition and some other small partition I thought I had made for swap memory for Linux. Before that, I had made a recovery drive in a USB because the tutorial said I'd need it to fix the boot loader. So when I deleted the partitions, my PC restarted and it sent me to a grub repair screen with a command line. I tried to make it boot from the USB but it just didn't let me, it said it didn't find any bootable devices. So now I don't know if I fucked up my Windows install, or if recovery drives (created from Control Panel > Recovery) are not supposed to be bootable and I should've used the media creation tool (I was already doing that but it was going very slowly).
In hindsight I see that I should've tried fixing the ñoader before deleting the partition, but the harm's already been done.

Pic unrelated.
>>
>>218950

You deleted your loader and:

>I deleted the partition and some other small partition I thought I had made for swap memory for Linux

god knows what else. Just use the Windows 10 installation DVD and you will fix it in a minute.

>inb4 I got the free upgrade and got no disc

Tough luck fag.
>>
>>218993
>god knows what else
That's the EFI partition, Einstein.

>>218950
Do this: http://blog.minzhang.com/2013/10/fix-windows8-1-boot-create-efi-partition-manully/

Except with Windows 10 media because you're fixing Windows 10.
>>
>>218996

>EFI partition

Who even uses that? Nobody, you don't need it. It's much more likely that it was the backup partition that comes with the OS factory installation.
>>
>>219016
Every modern computer that has a GPT disk.

No UEFI, no partition table.
No EFI partition, no UEFI.

I get that it's cozy back in 1994 where stuff made sense and four partitions was enough for everyone and if it wasn't then a partition could be a partition table, but PC BIOS has had its day. EFI is the present, and you're just going to have to get used to it.
>>
>>219021

Who even uses this stuff? Is this a Wincucks thing? I haven't used a MBR or GPT in nearly a decade, Why do you people need this stuff?
>>
>>219062
Then you haven't booted a PC or a Mac in nearly a decade.

Old PCs boot by loading an MBR, and current PCs and Macs boot using EFI, which finds its data partition by looking up a GPT.

Which of course you knew, right?
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.