[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Where would I go (besides the library, ours is lacking pretty

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

File: John-Dies-at-the-End_10.jpg (148KB, 1400x933px) Image search: [Google]
John-Dies-at-the-End_10.jpg
148KB, 1400x933px
Where would I go (besides the library, ours is lacking pretty badly) to find studies on day time sleep cycles and the effects they have on the body? What I mean by this, is people who exclusively sleep during the day, and are active at night for more than just a few months. Preferably years and from a very young age.

Thanks in advance.
>>
I work overnight. Have been for the last 9 years.

Have you tried searching Google for like "effects on body of working over night"?
>>
>>210933
I've tried about six different searches and it either gives me doctor/patients answers, which haven't been that helpful, or very short term effects-longest one being three months. So that's why I'm asking here and going to check the library tomorrow on the off chance they might actually have something useful.

Do you feel like answering a few questions though? I'm researching for a fiction book and would really appreciate any input.
>>
>>210935

Sure I can answer some questions about it.
>>
Studies have been done on this. It's often pointed out in diet/lifestyle books that night shift workers have higher rates of chronic disease.

I'm not sure what to search for but it's out there.
>>
>>210938

Hmmm, well. I would have to say I haven't seen that at all.
>>
>>210941

I'm actually healthier than my wife and son who obviously live regular lives.

I get sick much much less. I work overnight in a well temperature'd area most the time, not dirty or anything so I can say definitely not the workplace causing me any harm. I would not be surprised if other people working overnight ended up messed up and blamed it on working overnight. Maybe like construction workers or something tough.

If anything about overnight is tough it would be lack of decent sleep.
>>
>>210937
Thank you so much.

>Do you remember how your body used to feel before you switched sleeping schedules, and how does it feel now?

>How much energy do you usually have, vs before, and compared to regular/healthy people?

>Do you feel healthy, sick, or neutral?

>If you have been to the doctors somewhat regularly, have they mentioned any concerns about the effect this is having on your body? Such as any risks for diseases or lack of nutrients, like vitamin D?

>Does your skin seem paler than it used to?

>Are you exclusively up only during night hours, or do you get some day time hours in?

>Has your eyesight been noticeably effected by this in any way?

>When did you start this schedule/how old where you roughly?

>>210938
Ok, thank you. I will look for those books in the library then.
>>
>>210945
You're in luck. I had the book next to me.

"Perfect Health Diet" by Paul Jaminet, Ph. D. and Shou-Ching Jaminet, Ph. D.

Chapter 42:
>When circadian rhythms are disrupted, disease often results. For instance, night-shift workers, whose bodies are in a perpetual state of jet lag, are at greater risk of developing cancer, heart disease, metabolic syndrome and diabetes, hypothyroidism, and a host of other diseases.

Notes for this chapter with references may be found at: http://www.perfecthealthdiet.com/notes/#Ch42

You can find lots of studies used as references at that link.
>>
>>210949
Thank you! Copypasting this in my notepad right now. I'll see if my library has that book too, or any similar ones.
>>
>>210945

>Do you remember how your body used to feel before you switched sleeping schedules, and how does it feel now?

Well, I don't really remember exactly it was a while ago but I can't point out anything really wrong with the way I feel now after all these years. If there's anything that bothers me now (not sure if overnight is to blame) it's that I'm drowsy a lot but not sure if it's because my sleep schedule is a complete mess or if it's because I get my sleep later in the day sometims. I personally HAVE to wait until later in the day to get my sleep because if I get one or two hours early in the day I'm FUCKED and won't go back to sleep until way later at night when I'm about ready to go for work, so I don't have much of a choice but to try and go tired and wait until like 2-3 pm to get my rest. I don't think most people have this issue though.

>>How much energy do you usually have, vs before, and compared to regular/healthy people?

Before and after what?. working?. I have a lot of energy as long as I'm interested in what I'm doing. As soon as I lose interest I could fall a fucking sleep when I'm at work.
>>
>>210951
Sorry, should have been a bit more clear, but you kind of answered it already. What I meant was, how much energy did you use to have before starting this sleep schedule, vs how much you usually have now. But you said your sleep schedule usually isn't precise, so that makes sense that you are often tired.
>>
>>210945

>>Do you feel healthy, sick, or neutral?

I feel sick/neutral.

I don't feel like I'm really messed up but I'm out of breath all the time even though I walk a LOT every day and do a good chunk of physical effort. I guess it's because my cardio is shit though. I think lack of rest has a lot to do with it too so I might just be confusing "tired" with "sick".

>>If you have been to the doctors somewhat regularly, have they mentioned any concerns about the effect this is having on your body? Such as any risks for diseases or lack of nutrients, like vitamin D?

I haven't gone to the doctor in like forever but I always worry about lack of sunlight I get.

>Does your skin seem paler than it used to?

I would say nope.

>Are you exclusively up only during night hours, or do you get some day time hours in?

I do get day time hours in. I usually am up until around 2-3 pm and then I sleep until like 8-9 pm. I don't get out of the house much though. I hate traffic and have become super spoiled to life without interacting with assholes in public much. If I do go out it's usually from 8:30 am when buses are done picking kids up to until about 2:00 pm when they're ready to start picking kids up again. After that FUCK THAT I stay at home.
>>
>>210950
If it's easier for you do research online, try this:

https://scholar.google.com/scholar?q=circadian+rhythm+disruption+studies&hl=en
>>
>>210945

>>Has your eyesight been noticeably effected by this in any way?

My eyesight is getting worse slightly over the years. My right eye a bit worse than my left. Not sure if it's from overnight though. My eyesight has been getting worse all throughout my life.

>When did you start this schedule/how old where you roughly?

I started overnight about 8 going onto 9 years ago. I was around 25 or 26.

I think I adapted well because I was in the military and they fuck you up with all sorts of experience with different work shifts.
>>
>>210954
Mkay, thanks very mucho.

(please excuse the weird speech, haven't slept for 20 hours)
>>
>>210955
Mkay, that's all the questions I can think of right now. Thank you again, and I hope you get some better sleep man.
>>
>>210961

No problem.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.