[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Astronomy Project Help

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 2

File: 4L_eLWNlHix.jpg (92KB, 520x545px) Image search: [Google]
4L_eLWNlHix.jpg
92KB, 520x545px
College student here at Yale, and in my college astronomy course, i was assigned to create any kind of project related to astronomy at all. I want some OC not some tacky shit from online please. Anybody got any ideas? I got until Dec 1st to make it so pls don't try to say make a space rocket. Ty in advance :)
>>
>>210253
Solve the baryonic imbalance problem or the black hole information paradox.
>>
>>210265
Jesus Christ lol, I'm not a genius man
>>
File: JOHJ.jpg (116KB, 600x700px) Image search: [Google]
JOHJ.jpg
116KB, 600x700px
Take pictures of Uranus.
>>
>>210253
not quite an Astrophysicist yet reporting in.
What tools do you have access to? Depending on the telescopes you have access to you can calculate the angular resolution and use it to determine the limit of what you can observe. You can observe something close to the limit, an undergrad project I designed was to see if the 2.4 m telescope I could use could detect a TNO dwarf planet (makemake). I converted the angular size of the TNO to the number of pixels the telescope would display, observed on two nights a week or two apart and overlayed the images to see if an object moved. Could also use this to find the velocity of such an observed object using an assumed distance away from the Sun.
You could observe the transit of a moon in front of a planet like jupiter over the course of like 12+ hours and plot the trajectory, then find out nifty shit like velocity, orbital radius, maybe angular momentum if you have a means of getting the mass.
Observe something cool using different filters then overlay them and do post experimental color correction (check out the Messier objects for inspiration)
If possible observe something outside of the optical regime, compare to optical observations and explain what elements or compounds are showing up in the different structures.
attach a spectroscope to the telescope and measure the spectral lines of something. Look at a gas cloud and show absorption lines, or at a star and see emission lines. Scale the spectrum with the sodium lines (I believe) using some program then find the wavelengths being emitted. Look up common spectra and identify the elements. Can do this for stars, clouds, galaxies, planets, even atmospheres if you're ambitious and have good tools.
Observe a binary star or a star with a known hot-jupiter planet near it, record and plot the change in luminosity and from it identify the orbital period and the size of 1 or maybe even both objects (both would be hard and situational, could definitely find size of planet
>>
>>210580
If you don't have access to telescopes there are options;
use online sunspot data (can't remember the observatory but it's data is public) and measure the speed and trajectory of sunspots.
Use the 2012 Venus transit data from NASA and do the analysis to show the distance between the Earth and the Sun.
Using a protractor with a weighted string and a compass make a basic starchart using naked eye observations. You can also use the hand shortcuts for estimating angular sizes for constellations and compare to actual values.
Do calculations to find the difference between the siderial and synodic (lunar) months and use data from the time between two lunar eclipses to check.
Observe a lunar eclipse and record the time and position of shadow on the moon every half hour
and determine the speed and diameter of the moon.
Using right ascension and declination measurements online, plot the positions of objects in celestial coordinates and equatorial (or any different coordinate systems really) to show the differences.
Using observations of the size of the shadow on the moon for a month (or just measure it from a phase calendar) determine the distance between the Earth and the moon.
Assuming a distance of 1 AU between the Earth and the Sun, determine the distance between each other planet in AU.

Also SUCK IT Yale you pansies, at NMT we've got the VLA, NRAO and the MRO, one of the best places for astro.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.