[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Tech support send help

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: fuck.jpg (13KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
fuck.jpg
13KB, 320x240px
Alright so, here is some backstory on my problem. Im a dumb fucker with anger issues that in an attempt to play minecraft with some buddies, witnessed a computer freeze. After said freeze began I flipped my shit and punched the computer, right where my hard drive happened to be. now every time I try to launch it I witness this shit.

Broadcom UNDI PXE-2.1 v14.6.9
PXE-e61 Media test failure check cable
PXE-m0f exiting broadcom PXE ROM

Operating system not found

How bad did I fuck up /wsr/ and what can I do to right my wrongs?
>>
>PXE-e61 Media test failure check cable

Check your cable, in case you knocked it loose.
>>
>>209076
This is the right thing to do, though not quite for the right reason. The error is because the computer is trying to do a PXE boot, which means that it's trying to boot up over ethernet—like trying to find its OS on a network drive.

I'm assuming that's not how OP's computer is set up. The reason why BIOS is trying to do PXE is because of one of these two things:

1. BIOS is set to fall back to PXE if it can't find a hard drive, and on POST it couldn't find your hard drive. I think this is most likely. You need to open up your computer, find the hard drive, and check both the power and data cables. If it's an older hard drive you may also need to check that the jumper is set properly. A direct concussion to the front of the computer could knock either cable loose or knock the jumper off.

2. BIOS is either set up to check PXE first, or BIOS couldn't autoconfigure for the hard drive. This is unlikely, but I think it could happen if your punch had knocked the BIOS battery out of its socket and the BIOS settings reset to their defaults. This is much more likely to be the problem if you can see the system time and date during POST and it's clearly wrong (i.e., says it's 1979 or 2003 or something like that). You would need to open your case, find the battery, put it back, and then go into BIOS and reconfigure things.
>>
>>209076
No, you idiot, that's the message you get when booting from the hard disk fails and the BIOS moves on to booting off the network ("PXE").

Whether or not the network cable is connected is irrelevant, because I guarantee you OP is not booting off PXE.

>>209069
Clearly you shagged your hard disk. Go buy a new one, restore the backup you haven't made, and learn from this.
>>
>>209082
>I think it could happen if your punch had knocked the BIOS battery out of its socket and the BIOS settings reset to their defaults.
1) no bios defaults to booting of the network *in preference to a bootable hard drive*.
2) RTC battery runs the clock; BIOS settings are stored in flash now. This is why there's a "clear CMOS" jumper.
3) battery doesn't even do anything on ATX unless the power is disconnected: the motherboard uses +5VSB from the PSU to save the battery.
>>
>>209069
HAHAHAHAHHAAHAHA
>>
>>209087
I've seen weird defaults from weird manufacturers before. I'm just giving an alternative possibility that something's dicked up in BIOS rather than saying the one and only option is that OP knocked a cable loose.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.