[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

graphics card death analysis

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 4

File: yukari screen windows xp.gif (873KB, 346x360px) Image search: [Google]
yukari screen windows xp.gif
873KB, 346x360px
What kind of problem with a graphics card will cause a computer to not even power on the fans?

My PC won't turn on with my graphics card installed. It will boot with a different card, and the card also prevents a different system from starting, so it is definitely the card.

After pressing the power button, nothing happens. No fans, nothing.

So what I'd like to know is, what kind of damage will cause this kind of behavior?
Shouldn't at least the fans spin and POST start if a GPU is dead? Does this happen when the flow is disrupted, by for example a missing part or a cut connection?
>>
File: attachment.php.jpg (95KB, 449x316px) Image search: [Google]
attachment.php.jpg
95KB, 449x316px
>>206254
You sure your PSU is delivering enough power?
>>
>>206260
Yes. The dead card is a 980Ti.
The power supply in the first system is a Corsair AX850, and the Power supply in the second an AX650. Both should be way more than needed. Both do not work with this card. Both of them work with different cards drawing similar amounts of power.
>>
File: 1474997925547.png (274KB, 433x466px) Image search: [Google]
1474997925547.png
274KB, 433x466px
>>206262
You aren't by chance forgetting to hook up the two 6-pin pci-e power connectors are you? I don't know if that would prevent a POST though honestly.
>>
>>206274
They are connected. It would be a bit silly to test a card in several systems and have the problem be this.
In fact, if they are not connected, any normal system will still start the fans regardless. I am really baffled by this card.
>>
>>206276
I don't know then. I'm just guessing. I wonder if the card somehow developed a short if it could prevent a POST.
>>
>>206282
Thank you anyway.
I could get an old card and short it, or cut connections, but maybe someone has experienced this issue before so I don't have to kill/risk more hardware.
>>
File: 1474996941722.png (384KB, 533x601px) Image search: [Google]
1474996941722.png
384KB, 533x601px
>>206283
I suppose it could be anything on the card, like the memory or processor.

You should probably contact nvidia support and see if they can give you an idea what could cause a system to not POST with the card installed. Especially if it's still under warranty.
>>
>>206293
Well, it's a great OC card so I'd rather not exchange it for some generic one.
I sent it in, EVGA would probably just switch the card out immediately without telling me what the problem is.
I tried contacting EVGA support to ask about the problem, but have been getting error #154 for hours :(

If anyone has has this non-posting bullshit before, i'd be grateful for pointers towards the source.
>>
>>206300
Be patient and get in touch with evga and see what they say. I don't think they would replace it with a less valuable version.

Since the card causes the same problem in two different systems it's most likely the card is dead.

When/how did this first happen? Were you overclocking it?
>>
>>206308
It crashed to black after a few hours of gaming load, then did not turn on anymore.

Yeah, I overclocked the card before, it was running at stock now though. That's also why I don't want to switch it; they would give me another 980Ti, but the chances that it would overclock as good as my old card are very slim.

I am fairly certain that the overclocking itself didn't cause this. Even deliberately destroying cards never yielded this "no response at all" attitude from my system, with not even fans spinning up at al
l. OC related deaths are different than this.
I asssume it is an electrical failure and not just a dead GPU, but I don't know if there are parts on this card which often fail, or what kind of failure would produce this result.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.