[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

help needed - PC only starts up if I re-insert RAM

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: 1.jpg (74KB, 960x627px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
74KB, 960x627px
I added a new HDD yesterday involving some additional cable management after which I struggled to get my computer to boot up even to bios until I removed and reinserted the ram and reset the cmos. Thought everything was fine but turns out I need to re-insert the ram every time now just to get it started up. When I do that it runs fine even for long periods of time and under heavy stress like gaming. If I don't the PC powers on but no picture comes on screen and the fans keep spinning at full speed.

What should I try to fix it? I have no spare parts to experiment with. Only the HDD is new, the CPU/GPU/MOBO/PSU combo has worked fine for 20 months before this.
>>
So at this point it turns on and no video at all?.

Have you tried plugging the video into a different port?. like using the motherboard display instead of the video card?.
>>
>>202238
Are they inserted all the way? they should click when they're in all the way
>>
>>202240
Yes I have, no difference. The way the fans keep blowing on full leads me to believe it isn't just a matter of no video, the whole thing sounds different when it boots up properly.

Right now it's turned off and I know it won't boot but if I re-insert the RAM it will. I have reproduced it about 5 times now. Used the computer for 6 hours and played a demanding game while both HDDs were active in a file transfer just fine no hiccups. But as soon as I turned it off it wouldn't start up (until I reinsert RAM)
>>
>>202242
Yes like I said the computer runs fine
>>
>>202242
Yes like I said the computer runs fine
>>
Disconnect the new hdd, power and data. Does it boot normally?

I can't imagine why this would make you have to reseat the ram, but just test it to see.
>>
>>202268
nope, no difference.
I also reinstalled windows just to get that out of the way and no effect. still runs fine after I reinsert the RAM and I can even restart it but if I turn it off it won't turn on.
>>
The way the re-inserting ram works is I have to remove them both then start up the computer with one stick of ram and it boots fine. After this I can turn it off and reinsert the second stick and it will boot up fine ONCE and run just like normal. If I turn it off after this I need to repeat the steps above.
However the computer does not function regularly if I just keep one stick in. It will boot up fine twice or three times after witch it gets stuck in a boot loop restarting itself every ~20 seconds. This is different from the 2 ram behaviour in that BIOS does show up but nothing after that except a small white "_" on a black screen. Also with 2 sticks of ram it doesn't restart itself. Both of these cases are fixed by removing all ram then starting it up with one stick. Which stick and which hole I plug it in makes no difference
>>
>>202299
Depending on how many banks* are connected, the memory controller needs to clock the bus down to ensure stable operation.

Possible scenario:
- hardware change causes BIOS to select fallback timings; boot goes fine
- successful boot causes BIOS to select optimised timings; computer is broken the next time the BIOS initialises the memory controller, and stays broken until the next hardware change

Are you using the SPD RAM timings?

* banks are not the same things as channels
>>
>>202301
I'm sorry I don't know what SPD RAM timings mean. I haven't touched anything in the BIOS except I updated the firmware like 18 months ago. Googling stuff now and browsing through the BIOS I discovered that my "XMP" is turned off but I didn't change anything.
>>
>>202301
should I try messing with the ram timings? should I enable XMP? it should all be default so I don't know why it would bug out but this theory sounds logical.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.