[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

is it possible to learn and speak japanese by just watching

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3

is it possible to learn and speak japanese by just watching a shit ton of anime?
>>
>>201629
not really, you have to practice, have inmerssion with that, maybe if you add videogames to that, and learn their alphabet, but you can always try
>>
OP: how far do you think you would get in western society if you only used sentences from Scooby Doo?

zoinks!
>>
>>201629
No.

Just like you can't learn guitar just by watching MTV.
>>
File: 1364130390153.jpg (73KB, 500x438px) Image search: [Google]
1364130390153.jpg
73KB, 500x438px
>>201655
Wait a minute...You mean to tell me not all Americans drive around in vans and solve mysteries?

>My life is a lie
>>
>>201662
That's not really comparable. I learned german on my own as a child by simply watching german cartoons. Now I wouldn't say I'm extremely fluent, but knowledge that I've gained watching spongebob schwammkopf got me through my german elementary and high school classes without me actually having learn anything other than a bit of vocab here and there.

Alright, maybe this isn't a fair comparison because we're talking about native indo-european speakers learning another indo-european language rather than something like japanese, but still.
>>
File: Japanese Hiragana.png (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Japanese Hiragana.png
1MB, 1920x1080px
>>201629

No, you'd need to do what >>201633 said.

There are a ton of intricacies to the Japanese language that just make it a mess to learn, even if you only wanted to speak it, that would be further worsened by trying to learn it from their Mongolian cave animations. You'd be able to get a low understanding of the language as well as a few words and phrases, but not much more than that.

That's not to say it wouldn't help you learn better if you added it to the whole process. I'd say to start out with kids' manga or, I guess, kids' anime (if you just want to speak/understand it). With manga though, you'd at least be able to go at your own pace.
>>
>>201629
It might be possible to be honest. But only if you never watch subs. Which would be very stupid.

Just take some basic lessons, and from their anime could improve your skill. Learning it only from anime is near to impossible.
>>
>>201629
you can learn words and vocabulary from anime but grammar and writing/reading you'd probably have to study for yourself.
>>
Would it be worth learning a bit of Japanese just so that I can pick stuff up from anime, not trying to learn it properly doing this, but it did occur to me. Or is that just not going to work at all
>>
>>202001
I mean no, sadly that would be fruitless. The way their language is structured is radically different than English. If you speak Spanish it becomes a little easier to learn, but if not just the amount of intricacies can really be off putting. Personally I learned how to read it much faster than to hear it being spoken and understand it; but it's not the same for everyone. Maybe dip your toes into hiragana, but don't beat yourself up if you find it's not for you.
>>
>>201629
If you repeat everything they say out-loud, it can be a great learning tool, but you'll actually need a bit of normal language training too or else you'll just be a mindless parrot at best. Anime dialect is often exaggerated and dramatic compared to a normal conversation, and they tend to leave out a lot of mundane phrases like "Where is the bathroom?" and "I need to find this address, can you help me?".

Furthermore, it is borderline impossible to learn to read japanese characters from anime signs alone, and without that element your learning curve will be severely hindered.

I suggest you go take a community college course to start off and get some direction, then practice daily and find people to talk to so you don't instantly forget it all.
>>
>>201629
not even close. you have to grind like a motherfucker to learn kanji
>>
>>201629
Buy Japanese textbooks, that's the best way.
>>
>>202128
Not too surprising, would have been nice if it would have worked, but oh well. I'll probably just learn it normally at some point
>>
Consuming media in a language is a good way to improve, but you can't exclaimed personal study of the language.
>>
No.
>>
>>201693
>I learned german on my own as a child by simply watching german cartoons
You can still read German though even if you can't speak it. Just learning how to read Japanese at a near-fluent level can take over a year.
>>
>>201662

Wrong comparison since in fact you can be self taught at playing a guitar without ever learning how to read music sheets. There's a handful of guitar legends that did so. You can also play by ear.

We're talking about verbal communication to another human being. Not striking a string to hear it make sound.

Like all words, you must know how and when to use it. Watching a TV show on repeat isn't going to completely help a person.
>>
>>203188
To be self-taught at guitar, you need to actually play a guitar. You can't just look at people playing it.

Watching MTV doesn't teach you guitar.
Watching anime doesn't teach you Japanese.
>>
>>202001
There are some things that are worth knowing about, like the different ways of referring to yourself for example (boku, ore, watashi) as this can't be reflected in English subtitles since we just use I.
>>
>>201629
No.
>>
>>203188
Music is a language though.
The only difference is that by self teaching and absorbing you create your own language.
>>
>>201655
I would have made it, if it wasnt for you meddling kids...
>>
I learned the basics of french by watching cartoons in french as a young kid, but my native language shares the same family as french, so that helps. Then when you actually learn french you realize that a language is more than a collection of words you overhear in a conversation of which you deduced the meaning because of your own language. Once you're past the phase of being a little kid, it stops being cute and people just think you're stupid and can't speak the language, much like how the t-shirt you bought actually says "stupid foreigner" in the local language while you thought it meant "hung like a horse".

Japanese is so alien to western languages that it's difficult to even start with the basics. You can pick up a handful of words correctly, and become typical weeaboo scum when you utter "kawaii" "baka" and "moe" while stroking your micropenis to anime tiddies, but you won't understand the language. After watching a subbed episode 10 times, you can then pretend to your friends you understand japanese when watching it raw like the pathetic manchild you are.

Finally, you'll make a trip to your personal mekka trying to ask directions to Akiba with the handful of words you know "sumimasen, akihabara wa doko desu ka~?" while some random bystander laughs at your anime t-shirt and the man you just asked just smiles while thinking you're a foreign pig for wanting to buy all those lolicon doujinshi.

Soon you'll find yourself wandering the streets of Ueno in the dead of night near a pachinko parlor and a man of the African persuasion suddenly grabs you by the shoulder dragging you into a bar filled with rank pussy. You try to leave but this nubian beast of a man blocks your path until you pay the seat charge, which he explains in perfect japanese. Sadly, you don't recognize the words "kawaii" "sugoi" or "oniichan daisuki" and all you hear is very threatening sounding words.
>>
You leave towards your hotel surrounded by the vile smell of defeat mixed with a sudden realization that you don't actually speak japanese. As you pass by one of the police boxes you consider reporting that you were hustled by some kind of Nigerian gangster, but the officer just nods and smiles while saying "eigo wakarimasen" before going off on a patrol as far away from you as he can. In the distance you'll hear a new word "gaijin" which you'll remember for the duration of your trip.

The next day you wonder about what the fuck you're doing with your life, and how your trip to Japan might've been if you actually knew just a handful of words more than "bukkake" and "nihon". You want to go out for a cup of coffee but suddenly realize you don't even know the fucking word for coffee, while the waitress mocks you with her fake smile asking "koohii?". You end up in Mc Donalds because a big mac is a fucking big mac everywhere. The server starts asking you a bunch of questions, but you just nod yes to everything "Hai! Hai! Hai! So desu ne!". She rolls her eyes almost unnoticably while still politely smiling, but you can tell by now that she's thinking you're a foreign pig who should've at least learned how to form a proper sentence. You sob into your french fries while tasting the bastard version of the big mac you just now were so eagerly saying "Hai!" to.

On the fifth day the maid finds you in bed with a plastic bag tied around your head with semen all over the place with a laptop playing an infinite loop of your waifu saying "kawaii desshou". You make an unimpressive faits divers in the local newspaper about a young man dreaming to become japanese comitting sudoku, next to a fairly long article about the dangers of anime for manchildren.

And the worst part? You could've all prevented it by learning the basics of japanese in a structured way instead of watching fucking cartoons and deluding yourself.
>>
>>203406
>>203407
What did he mean by this?
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.