[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Computer shutting down during gaming.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 3

File: setup.jpg (40KB, 466x425px) Image search: [Google]
setup.jpg
40KB, 466x425px
Hey /wsr/,

So, I built this setup last year around this time actually. I can't believe it has been a year already since I've had this setup.

Anyway, lately I've been having problems with the computer. Prior to messing with the BIOS and turning on OC Genie my computer had problems with booting and even during games just completely turning off mid matches. I kept an eye out on my GPU temps and the max it ever hit was 44C during load. I've rebuilt the setup twice now, both times ensuring that my connections were solid and they are. So, after rebuilding I went ahead and breadboxed the setup;
PSU, 1 RAM stick, mobo, 1 GPU and CPU. It worked just fine. I didn't test gaming with it but went ahead and kept adding memory modules to see if it would post and it does with all 4 sticks of ram and both GPUs. However, I still get hard crashing during games.
I've ran MEMTEST86 via ISO on CD and that ran and tested all sticks. After almost 9 hours it resulted in no errors or problems. I assume this to eliminate the RAM being a problem. This leads me to either PSU or Mobo. I don't know anyone with a spare PSU or even mobo let alone anyone who builds computers. The PSU is atleast still under warranty and the mobo is under another year warranty.

The setup has been fine until about this last month. I would get unresponsive power button on case panel and even the mobo power button after the hard shutdowns.
Pic related, my rig.
Ram is DDR4 32GB Corsair Vengeance
PSU is EVGA SuperNOVA 1050 G1

How can I test the PSU or mobo before needlessly RMA'ing both or a part that isnt faulty?
>>
Correction:
>I kept an eye out on my GPU temps and the max it ever hit was 44C during load.
I meant:
I kept an eye out on my CPU temps and the max it ever hit was 44C during load.
>>
What I experience:
Computer boots, posts and starts up just fine.
Computer shuts down without bluescreen warnings or any warnings into a hard shutdown.
What I've tried:

Rebuilding the computer. x2
Breadboxing
Clearing CMOS via I/O panel button.
Monitoring temps for CPU, GPU, RAM, MOBO
Running Memtest86 (results in no errors)
>>
Max GPU temps?

Event Viewer logs after unexpected shutdown?
>>
>>193843
>Max GPU temps
86C

>Event Viewer logs after shutdown
Event ID: 41
Source: Kernel-Power
Log: System
24-hours: 2
7 days: 3
>>
Raise the Core Voltage of your CPU
>>
>>193848
But my system is at system defaults when these hard shutdowns happen. Something isn't stable. Perhaps the PSU?
>>
>>193852
>Perhaps the PSU?
Probably that or the mainbaord
>>
>>193855
How can I test either?
>>
>>193857
Swap in another psu or mainboard and see if the unexpected shutdowns continue. If you don't have compatible spares and money is an issue you'll just have to be patient and go through the RMA process. You should contact the support for whatever retailer you purchased from.

That event viewer error just says the computer shut down unexpectedly due to the power cutting off, but not why. The last time I was messing with cpu overclocks I had this happen a lot because I wasn't giving the cpu enough voltage.

It shouldn't happen on stock settings, but it's not impossible either.

You mentioned messing with the bios and OC Genie. What did you overclock to? Is it possible you damaged the cpu?
>>
>>193861
>If you don't have compatible spares and money is an issue you'll just have to be patient and go through the RMA process. You should contact the support for whatever retailer you purchased from.

Even though the build is a year old? I figured to just go through the manufacturer for RMAing.

>What did you overclock to?
OC Genie enabled a small auto overclock. I had it on for all of 5 minutes before gaming and thus crashing.
>Is it possible you damaged the cpu?
Highly doubt that. The power problem has been ongoing since I recently downloaded a file and got a virus and removed it. I thought it was a virus that caused my hard shutdowns but nope, still happen even after cleaning my system.
The build has been working for all year until this month. I thought it was the/a virus causing these hard shut downs but I've cleaned my computer and they happen.
>>
>>193864
I just meant you could try a new psu if you don't mind buying one instead of waiting for the rma process.
>>
>>193872
I see.

Does it sound like a PSU issue?
>>
>>193883
A faulty PSU could cause a computer to shut down unexpectedly under load, yes.

Does that mean that's what is happening in your case? I can't say.
>>
>>193872
Your case really is a hard one. You seem like you know what you are doing since your process was reasonable, so I assume you didn't do any stupid mistakes like dropping a few screwes behind the mobo-tray.

I also think PSU is your best bet.
OC genie does not apply any deadly voltages, and aside from giving extremely high Vinput or Vcore beyond 1.7v, there aren't a lot of ways to kill a 5930K anyway.

A sudden complete halt with a non-responding power button indicates that something triggers a safety in your PSU. If it is the PSU itself, or some fault in a wire, or a broken cap on the mobo, I can't say.

You could try changing all your cables since your PSU is modular.
>>
>>193847
>86C
Look no further. The problem is that your GPU is overheating. Your PSU and motherboard are fine.
>>
>>193922
No it's not. These cards are able to go well above that. Not that it's suggested but even a GPU failure wouldn't cause a hard crash/shutdown. It would give a bluescreen error if anything.

>>193921
Nope, checked. I have all the original screws.
I thought the same about OC genie.

I can idle and not use the PC all day without it shutting down but once I start playing games/load it shuts down without any errors.
>>
>>193924
What kind of load will trigger this problem?
Have you tried isolated loads, like CPU-only load with LinX, or GPU-only load with Furmark?
>>
>>193925
I've noticed it shuts down hard when playing overwatch.
I can try those programs out soon, too.
>>
>>193924
>These cards are able to go well above that. Not that it's suggested but even a GPU failure wouldn't cause a hard crash/shutdown. It would give a bluescreen error if anything.
It's probably configured to trigger a hard shutdown for safety reasons if it reaches 90 degrees or something. And for good reason.
>>
>>193926
It's possible that a fault in your graphics card's voltage regulation causes the PSU to panic. If isolated furmark triggers the problem while LinX doesn't, this might be the case.
>>
>>193930
No, these cards start reducing speed at 105°C and shut down around 110°C depending on the manufacturer. They are designed to be able to run at 90°C for years.
>>
OP here. Shit, I just realized my PC was off a few minutes somehow too.
I changed it back to the normal time but it was off about 10 minutes and didnt change it.
>>
Also when the display comes on, the GPU(s) flicker once the display is detected. Not sure if paranoid but signs im noticing.
>>
>>193956
What do you mean "the GPUs flicker"? Do you mean the green LEDs saying "GTX"? That's no problem, my cards did this as well.
>>
>>193965
Yeah. The entire LED on the GPU. I see.

Downloading and running Furmark now. Wish me luck.
>>
Best of luck to you, anon.
At least you were smart and bought EVGA, so if the problem is indeed one of the cards, then the RMA process shouldn't be a problem.
>>
>>193986
PSU is too.
>>
Ah, I forgot. Then just to your tests with Furmark and LinX to get some more dependable info. Then open a ticket and ask their support on their thoughts.
They know their hardware and why their PSU might panic.
>>
File: furmark.jpg (68KB, 442x586px) Image search: [Google]
furmark.jpg
68KB, 442x586px
This is my furmark result.
No crashes.
>>
You'd usually run it as a long duration stress test like prime for a few minutes to hours, but we can at least say that your GPUs seem to be fairly stable.
If you can also pass a 30 minutes LinX, then PSU itself seems to be the problem.
>>
>>193994
Oh, well I just ran another test with the same settings and allowed it to run for 7 minutes. I pressed esc and didnt get a result. Whats the time duration on the stress test?

Also, trying Linx now. I'll run it for 30 minutes.
>>
Remember to choose "all memory" to also stress your IMC.

Stress test in furmark runs forever. Most people leave it running for hours to test for rock-stable.
>>
But, like I said, a passed 30 minutes LinX and a passed ~10-30 minutes of furmark should be enough info for the EVGA guys to work with. Even just your furmark score instead of running it again, if you are lazy.
>>
>>193999
>>194002
So just select "all" from memory?
I already ran a memtest86 yesterday and RAM was fine.
100 run times okay?
>>
>>194003
Yes, just select "all". It is to stress more parts of your CPU to be able to rule it out as the culprit.
I recommend changing "times" to "minutes" so you will know when it is done. 30 minutes should be enough.
LinX is extremely brutal, so don't expect to use your PC for anything else while it runs.
>>
Ran OCCT instead.
Used Power Supply test and came back just fine without any errors.

I am so perplexed as to what is the problem.
>>
After typing this message >>194039 I started up Overwatch and my PC shut off. Furmark nor OCCT could produce this error.
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.