[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I suck at math

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: Question.png (15KB, 1285x114px) Image search: [Google]
Question.png
15KB, 1285x114px
Can anyone help me with this? I am taking an analysis course and I need to show that if f is a C^1 function on [0,1] then the uniform norm of f is less than or equal to a constant independent of f times the norm of f in the H^1 Sobelev Space.
Already did it for the case f(0)=0
Pic Related
>>
>>192847
Oh boy, I so much hated calculus in undergrad... I was the algebra type

OK, you sure ||.||_{C[0,1]} is the uniform norm? In my classes the uniform norm was always noted ||.||_{\infty}. Do we agree ||f||_{\infty} = sup_{x \in [a,b]} |f(x)|, for f a C^0([a,b]) function of course?

Also we agree that C^0([a,b]) is the set of continuous functions on [a,b] and C^1([a,b]) is the set of continuous functions on [a,b] that can be derived and have a continuous derivative on [a,b]?

(derivable=differentiable, I'm not sure what word is the right one in English)

The only thing I remember for sure is that you never even try to prove norm inequalities, you only prove the squared inequality, it's must easier.
>>
>>193180
And by the way, continuously differentiable functions (i.e. class C^1 functions) are not just continuous (i.e. class C^0) but also uniformly continuous and even Lipschitz continuous and I'm pretty sure that's gonna be needed to prove that inequality, like the C constant is gonna be some sort of Lipschitz constant

Is that how you proved the case f(0)=0? Through Lipschitz continuity?
>>
>>193198
Nah disregard what I said, the Lipschitz constant wouldn't be independent of f
>>
By the mean value theorem of integration there is a c in [0,1] with
f(c) = \int_0^1 f'(t) dt.

Now for every x in [0,1]:

|f(x)| <= |f(c)| + |f(x) - f(c)|
= |\int_0^1 f(t) dt| + |\int_c^x f'(t) dt|
<= \int_0^1 |f(t)| dt + \int_0^1 |f'(f)| dt
<= sqrt( \int_0^1 |f(t)|^2 dt ) + sqrt( \int_0^1 |f'(f)|^2 dt )
<= sqrt(2) sqrt(\int_0^1 ( |f(t)|^2 + |f'(f)|^2 ) dt)
>>
>>193243
>f(c) = \int_0^1 f'(t) dt.
No that's f(t) on the right-hand side

But you used it fine in your proof, now can you explain the last two inequalities? I'm not seeing any reason why they should hold true

Not OP but still interested
>>
>>193398
They are all the Cauchy-Schwarz inequality.

>\int_0^1 |f(t)| dt
Can be intepreted as an inner product of the function |f| with the constant 1 function.
>\int_0^1 |f'(f)| dt
Can be interpreted as an inner product of the function |f'| with the constant 1 function.
>sqrt( \int_0^1 |f(t)|^2 dt ) + sqrt( \int_0^1 |f'(f)|^2 dt )
Can be interpreted as an inner product of the vector (1,1) with the vector (sqrt( \int_0^1 |f(t)|^2 dt ) , sqrt( \int_0^1 |f'(f)|^2 dt )).
>>
>>193653
OK, didn't remember that one. That would work, indeed. Well done.

I'm a bit sad there's no simpler way to prove this result though (one that uses simpler theorems).
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.