[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Monitor vs Video card

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

Currently, i'm waiting for black friday to get either a new monitor or a video card for my pc.

With university i'm using it all the time and i get pretty bad eye strain. Sometimes they straight up hurt, most of the time they're at least a little bloodshot. The monitor i have now is pretty old, pic related.

Do newer monitors reduce eye strain, or am i better off upgrading my graphics card?
>>
Out of curiosity, is the refresh rate set to 75 Hz or something lower? A while back I had to work on a monitor that literally hurt my eyes, and it turned out the problem was the refresh rate being set at 60 Hz.
>>
>>190685
use fl.ux if you aren't already and reduce the brightness if you can.
>>
>>190693
It was on 60, but i set it to 75 as of reading this. (That's the highest it will go)

What is the refresh rate on good/new monitors?

Also, i'm instslling flux too. Thankyou
>>
>>190685
Make frequent breaks from your screen and look in the distance. This relaxes the muscles in your eyes that strain the lenses to accommodate at a short distance (cf. your optics classes). It's too much to ask a human eye to constantly accommodate to a near object. Constant near-field accommodation is a major source of eye strain.

That's not the cause of the bloodshot though, I would as an eye doctor for that!
>>
>>191013
The higher the better and I think they're still in the 60-75 Hz range.

Flux is good for adapting screen color and brightness to your circadian cycle, and therefore makes it easier to go to bed after looking at a screen. It shouldn't make a difference on your eye strain.
>>
>>191013
>>190693
>>191164
Refresh rates literally do not matter on monitors from this decade.

Back when we used CRTs, the pixels literally were "refreshed", and their brightness described a sawtooth wave: |\|\|\|\|\|\|\.

It's this flickering that gives you eyestrain.

The higher the refresh rate, the less the flicker. This is why turning up the refresh rate was advocated. High-tech CRTs had their own framebuffer, and could double-refresh the screen, showing each frame twice, similar to what film projectors do.

But in monitor that's not a CRT, there isn't any flicker to reduce. Each pixel is a filter over the static backlight, and stays at the same level until told otherwise: --------_____. The refresh rate is just the rate the pixels get instructions at. Higher refresh rates are useful for making games prettier, but have no effect on eyestrain.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.