[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anime recommendation chart for normies

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 7

File: rec_chart.jpg (4MB, 800x9426px) Image search: [Google]
rec_chart.jpg
4MB, 800x9426px
Need feedback on a recommendation chart. It's not as smart or profound as /a/'s List of Worthwhile Anime etc., but its kinda phone-friendly format makes it perfect for normie outlets such as reddit, imgur, funnyjunk, 9fag etc.

I'm always looking for opportunities to improve my shit, so here we go. Any suggestions on what to substitute are welcome.

I also plan on developing the legend section. Just like I have those yellow squares with ! on it, I can add some other helpful symbols. Any ideas? For now, I am considering a mature content warning so that some newcomers can filter out stuff that's too lewd for their liking.
>>
>>190624
Wolf Children is garbage and not something I'd consider "essential". You'd be better off putting Little witch academia, or the Girls und Panzer film.

For casual action I really like Cross Ange, but it's never something I'd recommend to people who know nothing about anime, I'd probably replace it with Kyousou Giga or Yozakura Quartet: Hana no Uta.

Also Noragami isn't what I'd consider "serious Action" in the slightest. Although I'm not really sure what you'd replace it with, maybe something like Birdy Decode, even though it's not too terribly serious it's more so than Noragami.

For sports since you already have two basketball shows I'd probably replace Kuroko no Basket with a wild card like Tsuritama.

For Sci-fi I'd find a way to get Towards the Terra and maybe Noein, Honestly I'd probably kick out Ergo Proxy and Lain for those two shows.

Also for mecha I think getting "normies" to watch gundam or macross is an uphill battle, I'd probably replace it with something more accessible like Giant robo/Nadesico

Also for drama I'd kick the fuck out of Death Parade and include house of five leaves, it's so much better it's not even funny.
>>
File: 574da8753d35ce5a6393ecb9de01bcbf.png (268KB, 1872x701px) Image search: [Google]
574da8753d35ce5a6393ecb9de01bcbf.png
268KB, 1872x701px
Great chart so far, but definitely needs some adjustments.
Saw this post yesterday and think it's very relevant. FLCL is definitely one of those must-watch ones that should be included somewhere.

I agree with previous post that you should take out a second basketball anime. Actually, I think your list is too lenghty. Certain genres should be limited
I also think shoujou genre needs to be done a little better instead of just limiting it to romance
>>
Needs to list how many episode each anime has and throwing dark fantasy shows like berserk, claymore and hellsing under "horror" is wrong
>>
>>190636
Sure, LWA is pretty nice, but I don't agree with you on Wolf Children.

> Also for mecha I think getting "normies" to watch gundam or macross is an uphill battle

I think getting normies to watch any mecha is an uphill battle.

>>190648
FLCL is there as the opener for the 13th category, just without an image. I'll fix that.

> shoujo genre needs to be done a little better instead of just limiting it to romance

There is no shounen block, so there won't be a shoujo block either. Anyway, I have Yona of the Dawn, 12 Kingdoms, Chihayafuru, Nana and Natsume's Book of Friends in other categories.

>>190658
>throwing dark fantasy shows like berserk, claymore and hellsing under "horror" is wrong
Actually I had Berserk and Claymore under action, but wanted to somehow fit Noragami in. Truth be told, these categories are coined in a way that makes putting Noragami anywhere pretty much impossible.

I can move them back, and probably should, but that means I'm cutting the Horror category in half, with Tasogare Otome x Amnesia and Another biting the dust. I could put Jigoku Shoujo and Ghost Hunt in to keep the block full-sized, but that would be pulling it.
>>
>>190636
Giant Robo is good, but how in the world is it more accessible than Gundam?
>>
>>190773
Because when people recommend giant Robo they're recommending the single OVA from the 90s.
That's insanely more accessible than a series stringing from the 70s with a million entries, movies, OVAs, and shorts.
>>
File: rec_chart_2.jpg (4MB, 800x9426px) Image search: [Google]
rec_chart_2.jpg
4MB, 800x9426px
>>190814
The chart says, though, "Start with '79 or 00".

Shows like 00, IBO, or even the bloody SEED are kinda accessible.

Also keep in mind some people on the Naruto stage are big into getting a single franchise. You watch the show, the sequels, you browse the fanart - people like being attached to one show, be that Dragon Ball, One Piece, or stuff like that.

This is how the chart looks at the moment, added two new symbols helpful for complete beginners.
>>
>>190624
Small thing, but i'd change the Name of fma, if you make it for normies you shouldn't use abbreviations
>>
>>190881
This. One thing I hear casuals complain about /a/ is they can't follow discussions because people constantly use abbreviations to refer to shows. Now obviously they could just google those abbreviations but you're severely overestimating how much initiative these people have. If they're looking at a fucking chart on imgur they're not the most proactive, self-reliant person. You're going to have to assume they don't know any abbreviated show names and have never even heard of Google.
>>
>>190822
>KLK has an ecchi warning even though it doesn't have a single bare breast in the show
>Code Geass has no warnings despite multiple bare breasts and a graphic female masturbation scene
wew lad
>>
>>190624
Sorry man I fucking hated this. Will give feedback later.
>>
File: 1405807379979.gif (2MB, 400x209px) Image search: [Google]
1405807379979.gif
2MB, 400x209px
Alright, congrats on having half of r/anime on your dick, but you can't fool my autism.

At first glance I wanted to throw up, and as I went on I couldn't help but pick it apart because people don't have fucking taste or don't care.

Setting my personal anime tastes aside for the most part the shows recommended are fine, but there's probably a handful in there that aren't really beginner friendly at all. Re:Zero really shouldn't be on there when it's not even done. I'd also argue it's not very beginner friendly.

There are three main things that disgust me with your chart: visuals, those fucking "descriptions", and organization.

VISUALS

In general the chart feels extremely cluttered and hard to look at. The color coding of the genres gave me cancer and they're straight out of a shitty 2005 newgrouds flash game color pallete. Should have found a pallete online or stole one from something that looks better.

I know sans-serif is popular now but you could have used a better font because what you're using just doesn't look nice at all with the other shit you have going on.

>Yellow exclamation mark
I thought this was a fucking caution sign at first. It doesn't take a viscom class to know it's a bad idea to use that to draw POSITIVE attention. Hell a fucking flame emoji to say "shit's lit" would have made more sense. Your symbols need to make sense not confuse and be out of place.

>Green check mark
What is the point of this one? Isn't this entire chart meant to be for beginners? These might as well go in your first chart. It feels so fucking after the fact and forced in for no reason.

That pink and blue make me want to kill myself.

(cont)
>>
>>191097
DESCRIPTIONS

>Ghibli
People already probably know about them already. Unnecessary.
>PG-13
Self explantory, why do you need to define it?
>R-Rated
It's a given these are supposed to be "classics". Also you use the word "classic" way too fucking much.
Your trivia was kind of useless.

On to your cringey little two to four word "descriptions". It's inconsistent whether you have them or not. They're uninformative to the point where you could omit them. Or just fucking boring and make me give no fucks. Half of them are either genres (which could have been fucking solved by better organization), or just plain wrong. A lot of them are misleading. Also you don't need MORE WORDS to describe the genres.

Just going to cover the things that bother me the most.

>OVER THE TOP ACTION
Stop. You use it like five fucking times this chart.

>Pianist in grief
One of the examples of the "boring ones". "Women in a dorm room" or some shit like that was also a shit description.

>So bad it's good
No. This anime shouldn't even be here if it's a general rec thing.

>Eargasm
Only if you like techno idolshit. I like Symphogear but that's the worst way you could describe it, it doesn't even have that good of an OST.

>Eyegasm
Plenty of beginner friendly anime that are more or the same amount of aesthetically appealing.

The one opporutunity to use Chinese Electric Batman and you fucking blew it.

>fantasy hunger games
This makes no sense, game of thrones is a better analogy if you want that shit logic.

>smuggler shootout
This doesn't sit well with me.

>30's in America
This is one of the worst descriptions you can give to

>Big city life
This actually describes baccano better than durarara.

>superpowers in daily life
AHAHAHAHAHAHA

>spirit hunting
They're spirits. And they use spirits. To hunt spirits. Fuck you.

(cont)
>>
>>191100
>reverse battle harem
That doesn't mean what you think it means.

>A bit philosophical
This could have been presented way better.

>Romance drama
Example of DONT USE GENRES.

>Parody of action series
It's hell of a lot more than that. This might even be a better description for KLK.

>Parody of rom-coms
No it's not.

>Boys being boys
Shit description for what it is.

>Animeception
I know what you're trying to do. It doesn't work here.

>futuristic venice
You can see that from the picture anyway.

>cute girls... in army
Could have phrased it better.

>Post-apoc drama
lol the fuck. Also why isn't this in the heavy section.

>Androids
Better ways to put it.

>Political thriller
AHAHAHAHAHAHA.

>pacific rim + interstellar
That's essentially the mecha genre in the first place.

>mechanized
Did you forget which genre you put this under?

>experiment
Unneccesary.

>ultimate
What?

>Game of souls.
Tells me nothing.

>Adult life is hard.
Fuck you.

>Reflections on life
Terrible description

>Tearjerker
Isn't that what this genre is supposed to do? Hell that should have been under Clannad too.

>Life struck by disaster
I think that can be inferred by the title and image

>cynical anti-romance
Those words don't mean what you think they mean.

>Weirdo girl, cool boy
Ehhhhhh

>Gentle giant
You could have done so much better.

>Darker Dark Souls
Please don't do this.

(cont)
>>
>>191101
ORGANIZATION

You could have picked better categories and sorted things out better, I wanted to shoot myself when you admitted hamfisting the dark fantasy shows into the Horror just for the sake of filler.

A lot of your problems could have been solved by having Supernatural, Fantasy, and Mystery as actual categories instead.

Ironically I don't even want to bother organizing my arguments with this here so I'm going to go from up to down. Again, just going to cover the things that bother me the most.

Casual action/Serious action - Are you fucking kidding me?

>Cowboy Bebop
This goes in fucking sci-fi. Adventure is way too catch-all anyway unless you split it.

>Hanasaku Iroha
There's too much drama in this to really call it a beginner friendly work defining the genre.

I hate your fucking WTF "mind blow" category.

>Panty & Stocking
Comedy. Under parody.

>Symphogear
Scifi whether you like it or not

>Shokugeki
Comedy. Parody.

>NGNL
Fantasy.

>DTB
Sci Fi

>Fate/Zero
Supernatural

>Baccano
Mystery

>Durarara
Mystery

>Railgun
Sci Fi

>Noragami
Supernatural

>Adventure
A lot can go under fantasy.

>Trigun
Sci Fi

>Yamato
Sci Fi

>Shirobako
Not a comedy.

>Hyouka
Mystery if you had one.

>Planetes
Scifi

>Princess Jellyfish
Moreso drama.

>Time of Eve
This would actualy be more slice of life.
>>
>>191103
>Steins;Gate
Sci Fi

>Tempest
Fantasy

>KnK
Supernatural

>Terror
Garbage.

>Romance
This section is kind of a mess.

>Horror
This section shouldn't exist.

>"The rest" section
This section really shouldn't exist.

>Eva
This goes in fucking mecha.

>Madoka
Supernatural.

>Utena
Drama

>Samurai Flamenco
This really shoulnd't be on here.

>Bakemonogatari
Supernatural

>Penguindrum
Drama or Mystery

>Shinsekai yori
Sci Fi
>>
>>191097
I agree with the beginner friendly thing. I think anime like Re:Zero and Konosuba are better having watched other isekai anime first, or magical girl for Madoka etc. If someone read this chart and decided to watch one of those as one of their first anime, stuff would probably be lost on them.
>>
>>191215
this

Also get rid of Gintama as it uses a lot anime references for its jokes and wouldn't enjoy it as much plus japanese humor can be weird if you're not really used to it.
Bakemonogatari also wouldn't be something I'd recommend to a beginner due to how odd it is.
Also get rid of Another for being a terrible show.
>>
>>191043
I'm on mobile right now and will reply later in the evening, but thank you very much for this. Much appreciated. I've read hundreds of comments to this and this is the first one to be actually helpful.
>>
Just gonna throw this out there: none of your horror picks are very good. I feel like you just included horror because it's a classic genre for film and it feels like it should be in anime, but that's not how you should do things. It should be organic and based on what anime actually has to offer. If anime has scarcely anything to offer by way of horror then your chart should be honest and reflect that.
>>
>>191519
Yeah that one was a big stretch. Actually the previous revision had the horror section cut in half. I've just decided on moving Berserk and Claymore there to make place in the action section, which in hindsight was a bad idea.

Jigoku Shoujo and GHost Hunt would have been better choices, I suppose.

>>191326
I'll reply to the big post in the evening, maybe. Unexpected Saturday night out. Working now. In the event thread dies I'll save your comments anyway, it's not something I want to ignore.
>>
File: hachiman.jpg (46KB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
hachiman.jpg
46KB, 800x450px
>>191326
>>191818
Anytime. Sorry if I came across as toxic but someone needed to do it.
>>
>>192183
Tomorrow maybe. It's 2:30 here and I'm exhausted. I'll enjoy replying to your posts because I feel like half of the arguments I can bounce back, which feels nice, and half I can't, which feels productive.

For today, one thought:
> Re:Zero really shouldn't be on there when it's not even done.
People kept telling me that and I wish I had listened. Fucking White Fox. I'm platinum mad right now.
>>
File: 1470425578155.jpg (64KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1470425578155.jpg
64KB, 1280x720px
>>192231
Ahahaha yea it really can't stand alone without several more seasons.

As someone who sees within-anime completeness as pretty important, this problem was going to bite it in the ass sooner or later. There was no way they could have made a good ending no matter what they did.

Even something like SAO has objectively better closure because of the nature of the way the story is written.
>>
File: logo.png (469KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
logo.png
469KB, 800x800px
>>192455
Yeah, that's the dilemma of stories having a "big picture" vs stories that just well kinda go forward.

There was only one good ending: cliffhanger with season 2 announcement. Which again could not happen considering the LN schedule.

Okay back to the main topic. I won't address every single issue and come up with a revised version in this thread, but you do deserve a response at least.

>Should have found a pallete online or stole one from something that looks better.
That's actually how I did it at first, but it was kinda shit and didn't cover the whole spectrum. Then I've developed that palette on my own. I don't think palette itself is at wrong here.

Pic very much related.

>you could have used a better font
Probably, but I'm all out of ideas. Got any?

>Your symbols need to make sense not confuse and be out of place.
Fair point. In the current version I'd argue it's the symbols that cause most of the visual clutter.

>What is the point of this one? Isn't this entire chart meant to be for beginners?
Yellow and green markers are indicators within a category. This isn't a chart "100 starting points into anime", the user is supposed to get through some of the starting section first, then branch out to categories.

>That pink and blue make me want to kill myself.
They were added impromptu the same day I published the chart. Admittedly a provisional fuckup.

Overal I think the biggest problem with visual clutter are the marks, whose colors are from outside the already questionable palette.

(cont)
>>
>>191100
Now, onto descriptions.

>People already probably know about Ghibli.
Not all the teenagers who watched SAO/AoT after seeing some GIFs. And the ratings help out people wanting to watch some anime movie with their family.

>[PG-13] Self explantory, why do you need to define it?
People from outside of America aren't necessarily familiar with that concept. Speaking the language and knowing all the culture are two different things.

>Your trivia was kind of useless.
It's meant to encourage people to check out Satoshi Kon movies, it worked on me.

>On to your cringey little two to four word "descriptions". It's inconsistent whether you have them or not.
It's actually pretty consistent: I always add them unless the title is too long and can't fit in a single line. That's it.

>Also you don't need MORE WORDS to describe the genres.
Sometimes I do, because the genre categories are very robust. "Action" doesn't cover most action-adventure stuff or thrillers, "drama" is 50% wrapped around "feels" shows, etc.

>>OVER THE TOP ACTION
>Stop. You use it like five fucking times this chart.
I count two. Two Trigger shows with that description. I could come up with something different like "Journey through mecha" but this way it's more inviting.

>>Pianist in grief
>One of the examples of the "boring ones".
I stand by that choice, it's an accurate summary of the main plot that fits into few words. Anything more descriptive would be too long.

I agree that "Women in dorm" was bad, though.

>No. This anime shouldn't even be here if it's a general rec thing.
Yeah that one is a biiiiiiiiiiig stretch. If it was supposed to be anywhere on the chart, it would be in a category "Anime for when you're not a beginner anymore", next to Symphogear and stuff like Kaiba.
>>
>>191100

>>Eargasm
>Only if you like techno idolshit. I like Symphogear but that's the worst way you could describe it, it doesn't even have that good of an OST.
Yeah, you're right. I actually had a much better description for it, "Action musical", but then went for the -gasm meme. Wrong choice, I suppose.

>The one opporutunity to use Chinese Electric Batman and you fucking blew it.
Fuck. I had it there once.

>>fantasy hunger games
>This makes no sense, game of thrones is a better analogy
Disagree.

>>smuggler shootout
>This doesn't sit well with me.
Would "mercenary shootout" be any better?

>This is one of the worst descriptions you can give
>This actually describes baccano better than durarara.
Suggest better ones

>>superpowers in daily life
>AHAHAHAHAHAHA
I don't have much to argue against here, that show is a mix of SoL shenanigans and shounen battles, it kinda fits

>They're spirits. And they use spirits. To hunt spirits. Fuck you.
Fuck me, right

>>reverse battle harem
>That doesn't mean what you think it means.
It does, in the popular definition

>>A bit philosophical
>This could have been presented way better.
Gimme your best shot

>>Romance drama
>Example of DONT USE GENRES.
But that's the point though, that sports is really just a setting, and sports series go beyond standard action/drama

>>Parody of action series
>It's hell of a lot more than that. This might even be a better description for KLK.
Well then give something better.

>>Parody of rom-coms
>No it's not.
Say what
The entire cast is a gender flip of romance cliches

>>Boys being boys
>Shit description for what it is.
Oh cmon I really liked that one, you really think there's a better way to put it?

>>cute girls... in army
>Could have phrased it better.
Yeah in the first revision bottom row was K-On, Non Non Biyori and Aria with a spanning desc. "Cutr girls doing cute things..." with Sora no woto having "Can army be cute?"

>>Political thriller
>AHAHAHAHAHAHA.
I fucked up.
>>
>>191103
>>Cowboy Bebop
>This goes in fucking sci-fi.
Bebop doesn't really go well with genre tags either way.

>Casual action/Serious action - Are you fucking kidding me?
These categories evolved from something else (action comedy/drama) and I agree they should probably be reworked from scratch, especially the "casual" group is extremely casual-unfriendly.

>>Hanasaku Iroha
>There's too much drama in this to really call it a beginner friendly work defining the genre.
I based this on experiences. Mine and my teenage student's. For both of us it was the start into SoL proper. For me it worked because it's a seinen, for my students because they could relate to the MC.

>>Symphogear
>Scifi whether you like it or not
Dude, all my categories have this sort of theme, feel to it. Scifi on this chart is mostly dystopias and Symphogeah does NOT fit in there AT ALL. Same again for Bebop.

>>Panty & Stocking
>>Shokugeki
>Comedy. Parody.
Yeah parody would need its own section.

>>"The rest" section
>This section really shouldn't exist.
That's not "stuff I couldn't categorize". That's supposed to be a special place for WTF shows genre-wise.

Thank you for all of this anon. Hopefully when I post the next version in a few months it will look better.

Is it okay if I come here to consult the flowchart as well?
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.