[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey guys. Recent anime convert here, I just finished One Punch

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 7

File: 56611l.jpg (168KB, 425x600px) Image search: [Google]
56611l.jpg
168KB, 425x600px
Hey guys. Recent anime convert here, I just finished One Punch Man and Cowboy Bebop, and I'm just wondering what /wsr/ recommends for newfags with little to no anime exposure. My friends say HxH or Darker Than Black, and I've been thinking about watching Space Dandy. What should I watch?
>>
As promised, I'll reply to this.
Tell me out of these genres which you would like the most
Mecha
Action/adventure
Shoujo
Romance
Comedy
Slice of life
>>
I'll go ahead and name some you should watch, the essentials.
Code Geass Lelouch of the Rebellion, watch it.
Neon Genesis Evangelion, I didn't like it but every anime fan should watch it
Berserk, 1997. Then watch the movies then the new show that will end Friday
Baccano
Ultimate Survivor Kaiji, a MUST WATCH. Don't let the art style fool you please you'll miss out on such an amazing show
If you know how to play mahjong, another Fukumoto show would be Akagi. It's great.
Paranoia Agent, Satoshi Kon's (big name in the industry) best work
Gantz, ends better than the manga and it's a crazy ride. It'll keep you hooked.
Attack on titan. You'll probably like it
Parasyte
Steins;Gate, another MUST WATCH.
Hellsing Ultimate, not Hell sing
Danganronpa
BECK
Assassination Classroom
Gurren Lagann, I guess. I wasn't a fan of it but whatever
Trigun, another MUST WATCH

Fullmetal Alchemist
Tokyo Ghoul
Prison school
Sword art online
Akame Ga kill
Full Metal Panic
Fate/Zero
Gundam wing
Aquarion
Kuromukuro
Corpse Party, I guess
Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni
That should be enough to start out. Watch the MUST WATCH first
>>
Space Dandy is pretty good but it's really odd. It's basically a showcase anime, each episode has a different director and wildly different episodes. Some good, some bad, but the quality is inconstant and it's very much experimental in how it approaches storytelling.
If you end up watching it you won't like every episode, but it has some really fantastic episodes that show off how good the general staff was.

One really good-short OVA you could watch is the Trust Betrayal OVA, it's basically the Rurouni Kenshin origin story and it's legitimately really fantastic-while only being four episodes. I'm sure you're watching the dubs of the other shows but I'd really recommend watching it subbed, it's got a really fucking strong Japanese cast.
>>
File: hisokaquote.png (389KB, 851x476px) Image search: [Google]
hisokaquote.png
389KB, 851x476px
Hunter x Hunter is definitely an anime you need to watch if you liked Cowboy bebop and OPM!!!
>>
File: 127_-_Gon_threatens_Pitou.png (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
127_-_Gon_threatens_Pitou.png
1MB, 1920x1080px
>>190260
It starts off like any other typical shonen but quickly subverts your expectations by making it the most mature long running shonen out there.

With fights actually being about outsmarting your opponents.

It has some of the best animation out at the moment and never dips in quality and only really gets better as you watch.

It tells a mostly complete story even though the manga is still going that you will definitely be satisfied with.

And when your head deep into it, you're start wondering if this is really a show for kids hahaha.
>>
File: image.jpg (67KB, 520x520px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
67KB, 520x520px
>>190263
It didn't subvert my expectation of "boring fights that take thirty episodes", nor of "plot threads that go basically nowhere", nor of "huge amounts of shit happening offscreen, whilst all the screentime is being wasted on recap and superfluous narration".
>>
File: 3x3best.jpg (249KB, 720x720px) Image search: [Google]
3x3best.jpg
249KB, 720x720px
Here's my input:

>Hunter x Hunter
It's fantastic but you might need to watch a few more shonens/shows in general first as it's lenghty. Definitely wait to watch this one so that you can appreciate its great writing better.
>Full Metal Alchemist (Brotherhood)
great for beginners. You should definitely watch this next. It's considered one of the greatest series and it truly is enjoyable.
>Mop Psycho 100
If you liked One Punch Man, you'll definitely enjoy it since it is by the same guy, but with a little more average shonen plot.
>Space Dandy
A good series to watch sporadically since you don't need to follow a single plotline for most of it. I'd recommend not binge watching it by itself but while watching FMA so you get a break from srs shonen to lighthearted fun.
>FLCL
Only 6 eps. Considered a must watch series because of the great art and bizarre Gaianax plot.
>Erased
This one's pretty good for a beginner too. It's kind of new and there's only 13 episodes. It's well done and really easy to get into no matter what genre you are into. You could watch this next as well.
>HIgurashi No Naku Koro Ni
Just a different series to get more variety. It starts off as a typical slice of life series but dabs into the whole psychological thriller/mystery genre. The art style and high pitched girl voices are annoying at first, but the plot and writing allows you to bare with it.
>Mushishi
Another one considered one of the most well done series. The 2nd season in particular has always been highly rated. This is the kind of series which don't need to be watched consequently since there's no single plot line. Every episode is like watching a short film but do watch the episodes in order. It's very calming and satisfying. You could watch this after your next series if you wanted to, but do watch something with a solid plotline next.

Other great anime that you will eventually watch but there's no rush on: Steins;Gate, Gurren Lagan, Evangelion, Death Note, Ano Hana, Madoka, etc
>>
>>190266
>>190263
>>190260
Hunter x Hunter is amazing but don't watch it next. You need to watch more shonen before or you won't be able to appreciate it as much. It is 150+ episodes and can get very dense near the end with long narrations and a big number of characters and abilities you must keep up with
>>
File: 5 dicks frank.png (114KB, 941x487px) Image search: [Google]
5 dicks frank.png
114KB, 941x487px
>>190267
This is a great post, I'd recommend OP to listen to this advice. Have this 5 dick frank for your work.
>>
File: studio_ghibli_facts.jpg (48KB, 1280x800px) Image search: [Google]
studio_ghibli_facts.jpg
48KB, 1280x800px
>>190267
Forgot to mention:

You'll also need to watch at least a couple classics. This means anime from the 70s/80s/early 90s. FIlms are the best way to get a grip of the style.

>Akira
>Perfect Blue
>Paprika

Have you ever watched the Studio Ghibli films? These are usually what gets people into japanese culture and anime.
>Spirited Away
>Princess Mononoke
>Grave of the Fireflies
Usual good starters for older audiences. Kiki's Delivery Service, Totoro and Ponyo are good starters for children but are very popular. It's good to be familiar but might be too boring for someone older.

Finally, unless you're very opposed to it, you'll need to watch something girly, romance or a slice of life. By girly I mean, the intended audience is girls. Probably a magical girl genre since that is the most popular one but it's best for you to wait. Sailor Moon, Sakura Card Captor, Utena (Advanced), Madoka Magica fall under the must watch ones for this category.

Slice of life is a very popular genre but it can be difficult to get into unless you understand japanese culture and can be boring if you're older since most have protagonists that are still in school.
>Tora Dora
School slice of life / romance. The plot is very normal for this genre and you get your typical tsundere character. This kind of anime is not usually considered as great as the ones mentioned in the previous post, but it is good to be exposed to them. ToraDora is the easiest cliche romance/school slice of life to enjoy as a beginner.
>Welcome to the NHK
A slice of life about a jobless adult. Easier to relate to than high school ones if you're older. Easy to watch.

You are also gonna need to watch something painful that will make you cry.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.