[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Should I get a kindle to read?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 2

File: 1469091794334.jpg (59KB, 655x527px) Image search: [Google]
1469091794334.jpg
59KB, 655x527px
As someone who can't become immersed in a story when reading off of a screen for whatever reason would it be wise to get a kindle?

Does it do a good job of feeling like a book? Also can I download whatever pdf i want on it? Or are there safety features that prevent certain downloads.
>>
Nah, it doesn't feel like a book and I had trouble investing myself in books I read off it. It's good for my commute though because it's lightweight and I can read manga off it too.

Yes you can read PDFs as Kindle converts them for you. On a smaller Kindle you may have scaling issues as well as big ol loading times but otherwise should be fine.

If you are a traditional book lover though I would stay that way, there is nothing quite like a brimming bookshelf, this goes for most media
>>
Absolutely. I couldn't read anything on a pc/phone screen, but a kindle (or any other e-reader, in fact if you plan to "download" books not through amazon it'd be less fiddly) is utterly different. It's small, light, the same amount of words per page as most books. But I suppose you'd be more interested in the cons, and there is one thing I'd point out. If you have a large library, then browsing it for something to read can be difficult. There's just no broad view of everything you have. Pisses me off to no end, this stuff really needs better library management.

I'm looking at my kindle right now and I have 132 books in my library. The screen portrays that as 19 pages, 7 books each. I could categorize everything into subfolders, but I don't want to do recordkeeping, I want to read a book.
>>
File: IMAG0016.jpg (1MB, 1952x3264px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0016.jpg
1MB, 1952x3264px
>>189724
I have the old keyboard version and reading a .pdf file is a nightmare
it has e-ink display which looks completely like it's written in a book and it doesn't tire your eyes as an LCD or LED because these old versions aren't backlit
and because there's no light emitting from the dipslay you need to be in a lit room or outside otherwise you're not able to read shit (just like a real book) and because of that the battery lasts weeks
it has no restrictions to what you can read, you just download a .mobi file and put it in there
you can change the screensaver pictures or fonts by using a jailbreak which doesn't make you lose the warranty afaik
and also to my surprise it has a very powerful speaker in the back which is by far better than what you have in any modern smartphones

I wanted to upgrade to the new paperweight but I changed my mind since I don't actually need it as much
>>
>>189842
I'm not usually this bad in english but this time I think I had too much to say in my mind and fucked it up in the process
>>
I've never used a kindle in my life but tablets ought to be similar enough. I started reading things on my tablet/phone about a year+ ago and now I can't / don't want to go back to using paper bounded books.

My routine is to download whatever pdfs/epubs I want to read on my computer, sync it to my tablet via dropbox, then read them through moon+ reader.

I want it to feel like a book in that I have a rectangular view. I don't want it to feel like a book in that I don't want to worry about creasing the spine, yellowing the pages, creasing/bending anything, finding places to store it, and lugging heavy shit around.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.