[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

how can i create a folder with stuff like . and / in their names?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2

File: hnnng.jpg (97KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
hnnng.jpg
97KB, 1280x720px
how can i create a folder with stuff like . and / in their names?
>>
>>188470
you can't. but you can use similar symbols

superuser.com/questions/187469/how-would-i-go-about-creating-a-filename-with-invalid-characters-such-as
>>
>>188470
Use a sensible OS. You can use a boot disc to boot to a Linux distro and rename your files there. To use a / or \ you need to escape the character (IE type \\ or \/ instead. It will work.) Easiest thing to do, of course, is just not use tricky characters.

Does . not work in Windows? That can't be right, I've seen Windows itself use dots in directory names. Like renaming the main Windows directory to Windows.old if you're daft enough to upgrade.
>>
>>188798
. can be used as long as you don't end the name with a different recognized file extension (eg, naming an image picture.exe)
>>
>>188798
He means a directory just called ".", which you can't do even in Linux.

The reason Windows uses the \ as a path separator is that it has no use in English, and using it frees up the / for use in file/directory names.
>>
File: fileerror.png (18KB, 610x311px) Image search: [Google]
fileerror.png
18KB, 610x311px
>>188807
> (eg, naming an image picture.exe)
Huh? Of course you can do that. I can't count how many daft bots tried to send me 'hot sexy pic.exe' back in the day. OP's talking about directory names though.

>>188837
Nothing about his post makes me think he just wants a dir with a name that's just a dot. I think he just wants to get around pic related. I guess assuming that the fullstop character was off limits was just a mistake.

Either way, the boot disc method should work to get any of these characters in a file name, if you absolutly need them. I'd just substitute them for other characters personally or remove them.
>>
>>188844
>Either way, the boot disc method should work to get any of these characters in a file name
Yeah, but that's a really stupid thing to do.

The shell isn't stopping you from creating these filenames to be a dick, it's doing it because no Windows app is going to be able to open them.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.