[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Unlocking vs Jailbreaking an Iphone 6S

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: Unlock-Devices-737x491.png (114KB, 737x491px) Image search: [Google]
Unlock-Devices-737x491.png
114KB, 737x491px
Dear /wsr/ users,

Apologies in advance for this -presumably for the majority of you - useless thread.

So, I bought an iPhone 6s last year with o2 (United Kingdom) which was part of a carrier plan and thus, locked with o2.

This summer I was in Istanbul, Turkey (in the European part) so I turned on my 4G unknowing that it would cost me 7 pounds or so per MB. I ended up with a bill too crazy for words as well as the 375 pounds I still have to pay for my phone.

My question to you is, would it be possible to somehow unlock this phone? I assume o2 won't help me with this so I though about jailbreaking the phone, however, I'm not sure whether jailbreaking also implies unlocking a phone. Also, if it isn't possible to unlock it, is it possible to somehow sell it in the UK?

Any recommendations whatsoever are more than appreciated!
>>
>>185210
Jailbreaking and unlocking are completely different things.

Jailbreaking is done on the "application processor", i.e. the CPU, and lets you run programs that aren't signed by Apple.

Unlocking is done in the "baseband processor", i.e. the 4G modem, and lets you use an unauthorised SIM.

There's no unlock for any modern phone, because there's no market for it: people that aren't willing to pay their carrier £15 for a legitimate factory unlock are hardly going to pay for a pirate unlock.

O2 claim they'll unlock your phone for free anyway:
>If you're on a Pay Monthly tariff, you can ask us to unlock your phone at any time, for free. This policy might vary depending on which phone you’ve got.
>This doesn't affect your contract though – you'll still need to see out the rest of it, depending on your phone and tariff.
>The only way to unlock your phone is by using My O2 online or via the main menu of the My O2 app. Once it's unlocked, we'll text you to let you know
http://www.o2.co.uk/help/phones-sims-and-devices/unlocking-an-o2-mobile-to-use-on-a-different-network

Re your data bill, phone O2 up and give them the third degree. Threaten to take them to the Ombudsman for Communications*. Point out that in the EU, they're legally required to warn you when you've used €50 of roaming data, and thus just letting you spend willy-nilly in a nearly-EU country was not fair practice. Negotiate. You'll probably be able to come to some kind of arrangement.
* https://www.ombudsman-services.org/complaining-to-the-company-communications.html
>>
>>185251
The thing you need to emphasise is that the charges were not made clear to you at the time you used your phone.

For example, whenever I land, I get a text that says "Welcome to *wherever*. You're on *whatever operator* now, and data costs *whatever*".

If you never got a text like that, you can say that they didn't make it clear to you what roaming was going to cost.

("whatever" is usually "£0.00", because I'm on Three).
>>
Okay so does the above imply that jailbreaking does not unlock an iphone and thus it is impossible for me to unlock my phone without o2?
>>
>>185294
>Okay so does the above imply that jailbreaking does not unlock an iphone and thus it is impossible for me to unlock my phone without o2?

Did you maybe skim over
>There's no unlock for any modern phone, because there's no market for it: people that aren't willing to pay their carrier £15 for a legitimate factory unlock are hardly going to pay for a pirate unlock.
>>
>>185210
What version of iOS do you have?
>>
>>185313

>>185299
Okay but I just wanted to confirm that although there's no market for it, there's no pirate unlock available.
>>
>>185326
What jailbreak (tool) are you using?
>>
>>185348
Not using any tool until now since I don't know whether or not it could unlock my phone
>>
>>185252

>("whatever" is usually "£0.00", because I'm on Three).

>Based Three.

My last phone came already unlocked.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.