[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Recovering deleted files

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: 1472835442619.jpg (22KB, 542x480px) Image search: [Google]
1472835442619.jpg
22KB, 542x480px
Hello wsr

Like 2-3 days ago I downloaded a windows update(I disabled the automatization apparently,hell by this point I dont even remember if it was me).Due to not paying attention to it for so long,the updates totalled at about 1 GB

Thing is,after the pc rebooted,all of my files from the root directories of my partitions were deleted,meaning pretty much everything important

Right now,after plenty of researching about this issue,I'm accessing my PC with Ubuntu from an USB stick,and I was intending to use ntsfundelete to recover the files

So my questions are:
Is this the best course of action?
If i use Ubuntu's ntfsundelete,will I need free space on another drive equal to the size of the recovered files?
If so,since I don't have enough free space on my existing drives,will I have to connect an external HDD to meet those needs?

Thanks in advance,and feel free to offer any procedures and alternatives that may help,however unrelated to what I already am doing,as I am very desperate and wiling to try anything as long as it doesn't further harm any data/hardware.
To make this clear:I am not dead-set on recovering the deleted files if there is any simpler way to do it(like someone on the MS support forums suggested to log in as a guest account,that didn't work though)You might as well treat me like it just happened and I don't know anything

[spoiler]suck my dick Bill Gates you fucking faggot[/spoiler]
>>
I don't know if this is at all true, but the rumor I have heard is that the updater that does that takes all your shit and puts it in an "old shit" directory somewhere. Meaning there is nothing to undelete, you just need to find where windows put it. Check for this option before trying anything undeletey.
>>
>>183784
Yes,I have heard about that while browsing the different threads and whatnot about this topic,thing is
I have 2 drives -D which has additional free space equal to the deleted files(which is ~40 extra gigs) and
-C which doesnt have any extra space occupied
All of this means that they haven't gone anywhere,right?In order for them to exist they need to occupy space,right?
As extra evidence,the ntfs undelete from Ubuntu shows them as deleted files after a scan.

I appreciate the info,and wish it would be true,but all the signs point towards outright deletion.Nevertheless,due to you mentioning this,I will check again in order to be 200% sure
>>
>>183798
Yep,the only reference to those files is them appearing in the ntfs undelete's scan
>>
>>183798
>As extra evidence,the ntfs undelete from Ubuntu shows them as deleted files after a scan.
That's definitive. Sorry anon.

>All of this means that they haven't gone anywhere,right?In order for them to exist they need to occupy space,right?
Indeed.

>Is this the best course of action?
I think so, yes. But I don't know whether ntfsundelete is the best tool for the job; there are several undeletion tools and I don't know how good the different tools are. You may want to shop around. Something to consider in particular is filename support; some tools do a better job than others at reconstructing the filenames and directory structures of the deleted data.

>-C which doesnt have any extra space occupied
What do you mean, "extra space"?
Did you search for your data using the file searcher thingies in ubuntu?

>If i use Ubuntu's ntfsundelete,will I need free space on another drive equal to the size of the recovered files?
Yes. In particular, you *must not* try to recover the deleted files to the disk (well, partition) they were on originally; that will blow all attempts to recover anything.

>If so,since I don't have enough free space on my existing drives,will I have to connect an external HDD to meet those needs?
Well, you can recover the files from your D: disk to your C: disk, as long as there isn't anything on your C: disk you want to recover. (The general rule is that as soon as you write to a disk, the chances of recovering anything on it are reduced drastically.) Using an external disk is safer though, less chances to fuck up something along the way.
>>
>>183798
Dude, it's only 40 gigs.

Just sit on it for the night, get yourself down to Gamestop, and buy an Xbox 360 hard disk, 60GB or larger, for $10.

Once you crack it open, there's an absolutely normal SATA disk inside, which you can use to copy your shit onto.

In the mean time, don't write shit to shit.
>>
>>183818
Solid advice here,thanks

>>-C which doesnt have any extra space occupied
>What do you mean, "extra space"?
>Did you search for your data using the file searcher thingies in ubuntu?

Sorry for not being more explicit,what I meant to say was that if the deleted files were moved from D to C,the C drive would have to have 40 less GB of free space.The only change that happened was that it had MORE free space since files were deleted from C as well.
But I guess this point is moot now,since you agree that they were deleted,not moved

In regards to ntfsundelete,the reason i chose it is because I've seen it hailed as the best,safest method for recovery on the internet.The only other thing I have used for this in the past is Recuva,which did bring up a lot of unusable data
Also from what I've seen it does a near perfect job of keeping filenames,and directory structure is irrelevant in my case

>>183821
Thanks,is that the cheapest possible way?Am in Germany right now if it's in any way relevant
>>
>>183858
>Thanks,is that the cheapest possible way?Am in Germany right now if it's in any way relevant
Be careful skimping on harddrives. If you buy an old $10 piece of crap, the odds of it breaking while you're working with it are substantial. A new one costs like $25 if you shop around for a very cheap one, $40 for the cheapest disk in the first store you can find.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.