[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

New Laptop

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

File: Omen.jpg (60KB, 800x599px) Image search: [Google]
Omen.jpg
60KB, 800x599px
So my laptop of about five years has finally bit the dust. I posted my problem here earlier and several anons told me to backup everything because my motherboard was shot. It was an HP Envy 14 Beats Edition and I loved it for the most part. My biggest and, really, only complaint with it was how god awful hot it got. No matter what I did, it would completely cook itself to the point where I had to replace the hard drive at least once a year just because they would fry from the immense amount of heat it built up. The most demanding thing I did with the computer and will continue to do with the future one will be, aside from my uni programs which are super simple and facile that won’t draw any processing power, is watching 480p (MAYBE 720 if I feel edgy) YouTube videos and a very lax amount of Netflix.

So I come to /wsr/ to ask what a reasonably priced laptop would be for a uni student who doesn’t game or do anything demanding at all that won't overheat and/or has easy access to the internal fans/cooling system so I can run regular maintenance on it. I’m looking at a Dell Inspiron i5559 series, but totally open obviously.

>Pic totally not related, even though it looks vicious and I love it.
>>
>>181959

Anything except HP as they all seem to overheat and cook something, and Alienware as it's overpriced Dell.

Make sure you uninstall all the bloatware, that really bogs your system down.
>>
>>181965
Is there a comprehensive list of this "bloatware" lurking about. I know there are programs that run in the shadows of day to day usage, however I'm not technologically fluent enough to know all (actually any) of them.
>>
>>181970

It all depends on the manufacturer.

Google "[manufacturer] bloatware" and you'll find lists of shit that's safe, and beneficial, to remove.

I recently bought an Acer laptop and it crawled to boot up until I uninstalled half a dozen "utilities".

Another thing, if you can, get one with a SSD drive (some come with a SSD boot, and a HDD storage), so much faster.
>>
>>181977
I was wondering about something similar actually. I was curious on whether or not the type of hard drive contributed to the amount of processing power soaked up/heat built up.
>>
>>181977
They all come with Windows 10 now, which means a clean install is as simple as buying a USB stick and running the media creation tool.

The key's in your BIOS, so all you do is boot the USB and press "next" a load of times.
>>
>>181982
Not sure I quite understand the tech lingo you have going on here. I got as much as Windows 10 and USB stick.
>>
File: 1518090798_3a7272fe70.jpg (87KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1518090798_3a7272fe70.jpg
87KB, 500x375px
>>181959
thinkpad general on /g/
>>
>>181959
have lenovo i3 lappy; got a good price on it, nice keyboard, runs main programs just fine....wish sometimes it did have an i5 though

with it being so hot this summer, I have had to set a pc fan next to it to keep it from getting too warm, and that has worked well

(but I do use graphics programs and sometimes have 4+ browsers running at the same time)

>>182000
anon meant to create a usb installer from the preinstalled version, then use it to reinstall a blank copy with just core windows
>>
>>181982

That's true, didn't think of that.

>>182011
>anon meant to create a usb installer from the preinstalled version, then use it to reinstall a blank copy with just core windows

Make sure you've got all the drivers from the manufacturers website first though. I know Windows Update will find drivers, but I prefer manufacturer drivers, not windows drivers.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.