[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

cheapest way to completely nuke a hard drive in the shortest

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

File: 1469324970044.png (57KB, 276x256px) Image search: [Google]
1469324970044.png
57KB, 276x256px
just asking for a friend please respond as quickly as possible this is urgent
>>
Microwave and then toss in a lake with a rock attached to it.
>>
Seriously just microwave it
>>
drill holes in it
>>
>>181547
This isn't a good idea because they can get data off of parts it hasn't been drilled into.

You need to melt the entire thing if you want it to be completely unrecoverable.
>>
>>181537
I dunno how good it is still. But whatever.

http://www.dban.org
>>
I was thinking of mounting a tazer to the drive and instanuke it if needed, do you guys think it will work? Do you think the gov will do the effort to try and do recovery if you are not on some terror watch list?
>>
>>181537
rip the lid off and sand the platters
>>
Smash it with a hammer multiple times
>>
>>181537
Use bitlocker, delete bitlocker key. Ideally you'd keep the bitlocker key on a really small flash drive, that you'd quickly burn to ash.

>>181603
That would be a terrible idea, because the data is stored in the magnetic domain and you're working in the electrical domain. If you toast the controller, all an attacker needs to do is lift the (completely intact) platters out, and dump them in another drive. There's YouTube videos of people doing this at home with hand tools and sellotape.

>>181537
>>181539
>>181542
>>181547
>>181603
>>181628
All these methods leave massive chunks of platter with recoverable data on them.
>>
>>181635
how long would you have to let platters burn before data is irrecoverable?
>>
>>181537
Bury it in the ground
>>
>>181929
Pretty-much forever.

They're made of glass, which doesn't burn, coated in Iron Oxide, which is already burnt.
>>
Slightly related but is there any way to wipe a drive manually?
I found a computer with a working drive but I don't want to get a virus
>>
>>181986
See
>>181591
>>
File: worthit.jpg (43KB, 758x424px) Image search: [Google]
worthit.jpg
43KB, 758x424px
>>181537
Don't be a cheap-skate. Your lawyer will cost way more.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.