[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Dual boot Arch & W10

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: restore-grub-arch-linux-og.jpg (288KB, 3840x2160px) Image search: [Google]
restore-grub-arch-linux-og.jpg
288KB, 3840x2160px
Ordered new parts for a new computer which are all arriving this Tuesday (i5-6500, 16GB RAM, 256GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2 NVMe & 2TB HDD).I plan on dual booting W10 with Arch with Arch being the main OS and W10 just for specific games. Plan on splitting the SSD space in half and the HDD just for Arch. HDD content doesn't need to be accessed from W10.

Is it just:
>seperate ssd in two equal partions
>install W10 on one
>make bootable arch usb
>restart pc
>boot from usb
>install arch on other ssd partition
>allocate hdd to arch
?

would I also need additional dual-boot software that auto boots arch and boots w10 only when prompted?
>>
>>180802
You're a retard.

Use a VM.

Performance is native if you have VT-d, which you do.
>>
>>180819
I'm not op, but which OS would you use as the parent?
>>
>>180840
Neither. I'd run them both on ESXi.

But OP has a hard-on for Linux, so he should follow this guide here: https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Multiheaded-NVIDIA-Gaming-using-Ubuntu-14-04-KVM-585/

Also, he shouldn't be installing anything on the SSD, he should be installing Linux on the hard disk, then using dm-cache to make the SSD cache the hard disk. That way he's not trying to squeeze OSes into 128GB, he doesn't need to fanny about with partitions, and the computer automatically keeps the 256 most-used gigabytes on the SSD.
>>
>>180861
Thanks for the comment.

I don't have a sexual relationship with Arch. I just want to use it's environmental abilities. Unfortunately I don't have lots of experience with GNU/Linux distro's and barely any with VMs. I'm up for trying and fiddling around with stuff if it's worth the effort.

In the first month I will be using the the iGP. Then I'll add an RX480 as it will be more than sufficient for what I need.

>What are the pro's of using the ESXi as the base to access both Arch and W10?
>I'd like to profit from the marginal speed increase of having Arch and it's programs on my SSD, is this possible in this setup?
>What are the pro's of using dm-cache?

When splitting the SSD in two, I'll install programs and settings for Linux and games for W10 on the SSD. Those are my used files. The 2TB storage is for my music, photo's and series libraries, obviously.
>What are the pro's of having exactly your most used GB's on the SSD?
>>
>>180873
>What are the pro's of having exactly your most used GB's on the SSD?
You get to profit from the marginal speed increase of having Arch and it's programs on your SSD.

Less flippantly, you spend the most time benefitting from the SSD's speed, and the least time waiting on the hard disk, and it's actually less effort than manually trying to predict now what files you think you're going to use more or use less in the future.

In addition, dm-cache works with blocks not files, so it can cache, say, a games code and levels, without needing to cache the end credits, even though they're in the same 4.5GB file.

>When splitting the SSD in two, I'll install programs and settings for Linux and games for W10 on the SSD
Seriously, dumb move.

Install everything on the hard disk, install Windows 10 on a virtual machine, and then:

- you get to run Windows and Linux at the same time
- if Windows needs more space, you just make its hard disk file bigger
- Windows can access Linux's storage over the network, or directly through KVM
- dm-cache determines the data you most read (be it music, photos, games, programs, whatever), and constantly keeps the most-used data on the SSD
- this includes in Windows, because blocks in the VM's hard disk file are just a file like any other
>>
>>180877
Thanks again.
Isn't there a delay whenever dm-cache moves files from the HDD to the SSD? Is it possible to make exclude files from dm-cache?

And what is the general install order for this?
>>
>>180861
Thanks anon! (non-op here again) I will try a few options to find what I want, but your posts are a great start.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.