[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Recommend me an anime and give me a good reason why I should

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 9

File: 3x3.jpg (2MB, 2168x2168px) Image search: [Google]
3x3.jpg
2MB, 2168x2168px
Recommend me an anime and give me a good reason why I should watch it... Perferably without resorting to the generic "the (animation/story/etc.) is good" response
Here's my 3x3 (Missing Ippo, Gungrave, and e7), MAL screenshot next post
>>
File: My MAL.png (319KB, 850x4275px) Image search: [Google]
My MAL.png
319KB, 850x4275px
All completed shows, many of the ratings are kind of out of date and I just havent bothered updating them (eg Toradora and Haruhi only at 8, Noir as low as 5, etc)
>>
Phantom: Requiem For The Phantom (a mafia drama similiar to Gungrave. Not as good as Gungrave but still worth a watch.)
Higurashi No Naku Koro Ni (timeloop suffering with a mystery focus.)
Shinsekai Yori (Dystopia with great world building, lots of plot twist and the best villain in anime)
Detroit Metal City (Funniest anime of all time.)
>>
>>180692
Kino no Tabi. You'll love it because it's similar to Mushishi.
>>
File: RecommendedAnimeManga.jpg (3MB, 3380x3622px) Image search: [Google]
RecommendedAnimeManga.jpg
3MB, 3380x3622px
>>180692

Should give you an idea on where to go.

Just saying tho, referring to the art style/plot/writing is not generic since those are pretty much the only thing to describe about it. You're better off asking for more articulate opinions sure. Like I get that "the story/animation is good" is pretty vague way of describing something since taste varies but like you'd only watch animu if they only barely described the genre/plot synopsis? You gonna get subjectivity either way m8. Still, good hunting. This list is pretty on point.
>>
>>180711
I've already seen pretty much all of the charts, just looking for people to sell me on shows is all.
> referring to the art style/plot/writing is not generic
It is when you just say "_____ is good"
For example someone recently descriped Haikyu's animation as having "some of the most dramatic visual appeal of any sports anime, every action shot emphasized with impact lines, character's movements are exaggerated to a breaking point, and (the studio) seem to have building tension down to a science"
Its still sparse, but gives me a much better idea of what the animation is like rather than "its good and fluid and every episode has consistant animation" that tells me almost nothing about what the animation is actually like
>but like you'd only watch animu if they only barely described the genre/plot synopsis
No? I'm not asking for plot summaries, I'm just asking for some good, decently thought out reasons as to why someone should watch them. Neither am I asking to describe why some anime is objectively good.
>>
File: 1469713269290.png (197KB, 809x551px) Image search: [Google]
1469713269290.png
197KB, 809x551px
Akagi since it's another gambling anime by Fukumoto who created Kaiji, based entirely on Mahjong, also shows a different view of insane gambles because instead of being a careful person who just wants to survive until he gets in too deep and fucks himself over like Kaiji, Akagi is an insane person with godly luck, skill and thinking that likes gambles that will destroy the loser. The main enjoyment factor is seeing what Akagi will do next and the way different characters act in response. Akagi also appears as an old man in another Fukumoto manga called "Ten" and his character develops some more.
>>
>>180892
I'd also recommend Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann based of you having Kill La Kill in your 3x3 since it was made by the majority of the same people before they made Trigger and features a similar over the top, crazy art style, though it's even more absurd and is also a love letter to the super robot genre as well as previous Gainax series but you can still enjoy it without having seen any other Gainax series and having never watched one of the shows it homages, having seen them only lets you notice homages or appearances of other Gainax characters in one episode. It's got some other smaller similarities like the main villain of the first half helps the good guys after a while.
>>
>>180692
Gugure! Kokkuri-san. It's funny and heartwarming. Every character is quirky and likable except Inugami, who is pretty reprehensible and usually gets used as a punching bag for gags because of this, which works well in some very memorable instances. The cast is added to steadily, usually a new character every episode or two, so there's always a new element or dynamic between characters. It never feels overcrowded though as each character gets enough screentime to feel valuable. Kohina is the cutest thing I've ever seen and I love her.

Diebuster. Loosely a sequel to Gunbuster, which your list says you liked. It's somewhat like Gunbuster, but also a fair bit like FLCL (same director, made only 4 years apart) which your list also says you liked. A faster, louder, more colorful, more modern take on Gunbuster's hotblooded mecha action and GUTS. The ending will blow your tits off.

Speaking of Gunbuster, check out Aim for the Ace. It's Gunbuster's inspiration, after all.
>>
Watch Onsen Yousei Hakone-chan with the reich-subs from mori. It is a prime example of turning something completely innocent and boring as hell into something offensive and funny.

I recommend Overlord for its fun power distribution; the mc is seen as evil and basically has a whole world as his playground.

Binbougami-Ga had some great love/hate-relationships between the main cast. It managed to be slapstick funny but still heartwarming even with the cast wanting each other to die most of the time.

Watch Black Bullet because you have to watch something really bad to appreciate good shows from time to time. It's a prime example of how not to kill off characters.

Watch Monster to see a perfect representation of 1990s Germany down to small details. Oh, I mean the plot is great and all, but seeing my home cities represented as well as Tokio in other anime made my heart skip a few beats.

Don't watch Initial D if you don't have a license. I don't have one, and watched it, and now I am sad and want to buy old Japanese cars.
>>
>>180692
>Ippo
Ashita no Joe
>>
File: 1469752670743.jpg (42KB, 395x412px) Image search: [Google]
1469752670743.jpg
42KB, 395x412px
>>180892
>>180901
>>180709
Seen all of these but thanks for the replies!

>>181039
I read the manga, yeah it was great! I wasnt a big fan of the first few episodes of the adaption though.

>>181001
Saw Monster and Initial D. Initial D is probably in my top 20, great series.
>Watch Black Bullet because you have to watch something really bad to appreciate good shows from time to time. It's a prime example of how not to kill off characters.
Eh, I've already seen my fair share of trash, not interested in watching something bad on purpose even if its one of those. Is it really that bd though? On closer inspection I've seen a lot of screencaps of the main girl

>>181001
>>180950
>>180699
Thank you for the recs! Definetly putting a handful of these on my "immediate" backlog. I just finished Gochiusa and Hellsing Ultimate and wasnt sure what type of show I wanted to see next.
>>
>>180692
Daily lives of highschool boys
Comedy plain and simple without getting too "Anime" unless that's the point of the joke
>>
File: rec.jpg (4MB, 900x9665px) Image search: [Google]
rec.jpg
4MB, 900x9665px
>>
>>181199
>first show is one piece
man it makes me kind of sad that some retards will actually fall for this
>>
>>181250
It's mainstream, what do you expect?
>>
>>181254
Literally whats the point of a rec chart if it recommends bad shows
LITERALLY whats the point??
>>
File: shinobumeme.gif (793KB, 651x651px) Image search: [Google]
shinobumeme.gif
793KB, 651x651px
I suggest the Monogatari series. Its a show meant for people who can read fucking super quick (there is no dub) and has very smart dialogue. The art is absolutely superb, and the characters and character development throughout the show really makes it shine. Here's the order in which to watch the whole series (its really fucking confusing).

1: Bakemonogatari
2: Nisemonogatari
3: Nekomonogatari: Kuro
4: Monogatari Second Season
5: Hanamonogatari
6: Tsukimonogatari
7: Owarimonogatari
8: Kizumonogatari Part 1 (Movie)

I really hope you enjoy this anime, because I consider it one of the best.
>>
>>181270
>harem
>>
>>180692
As you've already seen a ton of anime, i'd definitely suggest gintama. Its a long running comedy series whose main strength is its ability to play off of comon anime tropes. It also is amazing in its ability to use its format as an anime to its advantage in various ways.
The first few episodes are kinda boring but power through.
I leave you with an OP and another video
https://youtu.be/-B3rpKfva1w
And
https://youtu.be/B_9PNis-CI8
(The first little part of no two is actually the real opening for that season, so it's entirely unexpected when it shows up.)
>>
>>181271
>cunt
>>
>>181270
>haremshit
>>
>>181258
did you read the rest of the chart? there are several shows that are great in that chart.
>>
>>181270
Is it important to read the single frames with text? I got the BD-version and stopped watching because it's litereally two frames of text and I can't be bothered to stop.
>>
>>181258
It specifically states the top section is mainstream crap for teens.
>>
>>181270
I watched up until like half of Monogatari Second Season then I kind stopped. I think after that time loop thing with Shinobu. One of those shows where I didnt really drop it, I just never got back to it and still havent yet. Also because its really long and I felt like I kinda got the whole point of it by then.
>>
>>181341
>Is it important to read the single frames with text
I don't know why people get confused by this. How do you imagine people in Japan watch this show when it airs on TV? They don't pause and read every frame. The text is just lines from the light novel, from the scene that's being adapted, so it doesn't really contain anything important anyway. It's just done for visual style, like all the photos used in the background.
>>
>>181472
>I think after that time loop thing with Shinobu.
You dropped right before the best arc in second season, with Kaiki as the main character.
>>
>>181473
So it's just pretentious bullshit like 90% of shaft's design decisions, got it.
>>
>>181490
Do you even know what pretentious means? Monogatari is the opposite of pretentious.
>>
>>181490
>it's different and scares me therefore it's pretentious
If Shaft were pretentious they wouldn't do mostly fan service anime and then fill them with shameless fanservice.
>>
Sorry for hijacking this thread but where do you guys watch/read your anime/manga? I'm sorta new to the medium and I haven't got the slightest clue which way I should approach it (Amazon, Torrents, Hulu, Fan websites). I prefer if I could keep everything in one spot rather through multiple outlets.
>>
>>181559
bakabt.me - You need an account to search, but you can also just use google. Many anime that are licensed in America are blacklisted from uploaded though http://wiki.bakabt.me/index.php/DO_NOT_UPLOAD
Animebyt.es or animebytes.tv - private tracker, but has basically every release of every anime out there. Very easy to get into with or without an invite
nyaa.eu - The goto place for airing or seasonal stuff. New torrents/series/releases usually popup here first, but usually for shows not airing the torrent is dead
kissanime - streaming site. last resort if you really dont want to or just cant download. Only good free streaming site out there
>>
Space dandy
>>
>>180693
Watch Utena since you liked Penguindrum.
>>
File: 587924659823658324.jpg (47KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
587924659823658324.jpg
47KB, 640x480px
>>181199
>IBO listed as a starting point for Gundam
>>
>>181625
Yeah its an awful chart. Maou-sama is its starting point for comedy anime and its first shows listed are blatant trash minus a few. Just use the charts on the /a/ wiki, they're much better
>>
File: Windy_Tales_thinking.png (288KB, 471x471px) Image search: [Google]
Windy_Tales_thinking.png
288KB, 471x471px
Hourou Musuko
>Nice and unique artistic style. Almost like watercolors combined with outlining.
>Deals with themes of sexual identity in a serious yet lighthearted way. Most likely the only one of it's kind.

Also, Aria: The Natural / The Origination are worth your time. Aria has a solid base but I don't think it really used it's full potential in the first season. The world it builds is beautiful and memorable and the characters while not complex are quite lovable in their own ways, but you need to give it time.
>>
>>181490
>>181555
They incorporate "different design choices" just to be different, not because it's good. That's pretentious as fuck.
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.