[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Any bassist willing to help

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 3

File: 31hVstq5JvL._SY400_.jpg (12KB, 500x159px) Image search: [Google]
31hVstq5JvL._SY400_.jpg
12KB, 500x159px
Oi my /wsr/ niggas, Any bassists here willing to help me out?
I'm a bassist, intermediate. Been playing for about 2 Years and I want to get out of just following the guitar. I want to have/create interesting and fun basslines. Not necessarily walking bass lines but maybe something like this:
https://youtu.be/E7h2LOQ1wLg
If you listen closely in the "breaks" you can hear the bass being itself

>pic sort of related, a bass I want
>>
File: Blues_scale_hexatonic_C.png (6KB, 1043x225px) Image search: [Google]
Blues_scale_hexatonic_C.png
6KB, 1043x225px
It's all about those scales. The most helpful one for bass/rock music is pic related (blues scale). If you know what the next chord will be for the guitar, try using notes to get up to it (ie, chord goes from A to D, play A, then play a C right before the D).
This song uses a lot of 5ths, switching back and forth between the root and the 5th below it (I don't know the technical term for this. It's technically a 4th, but it's the 5th of the chord.) For example, if the chord is a B, play the B and bounce back and forth with the F# below it. It's not that hard, but makes it sound a lot more interesting.
Am I making any sense? Sorry, I'm mostly self-taught, so I don't know the fancy Italian names for most of this stuff.

It really comes down to this: experiment when you practice, figure out what works, and after a while it will come more naturally. Also, read tabs of songs with bassists you like and see what they're doing.
>>
>>180489
Thanks man.
I do know the bass scale and the major scale I was learning the minor today and I know modes, I just don't know how to use them mate. And the thing about adding a note in between 2 guitar notes is that what we play is faster (metal) we don't have the little "breaks" that song I linked has. But I see what you mean and I'll try it.

Yeah I'm basically self-taught as well and what you're saying makes sense, I don't speak music terms either.
A fith is right. It's basically a powerchord arpeggiated (if you didn't know that or forgot, I did)
But I'm playing what you said right now and that's not the part I'm looking at I'm mostly looking at the little run back but what you said makes sense.

Thanks man. I appreciate the answer and the bump.
And I can't look at tabs because the music I listen to is mostly obscure (like the song you heard)
And not many people will tab it. I mostly play all of it by ear.
>>
>>180497
There's not really one single explanation I can give, so I'll just keep shooting and hope I hit something.
For faster stuff, instead of doing just one note in between chords, use the scales (or modes if it's not the root chord) to make quick runs (16th notes or faster) on the last beat, and land where you want to be by beat one. They can be ascending or descending. There is no break, just a run leading to the next measure.
And yeah, arpeggios, that's a thing (I need sleep). Those are always good, and you can always add certain notes to them depending on the character of the song.
Also, a good rhythm really drives a song. Rests are notes too, and can either be used for syncopation or make the next downbeat have more of an impact. Here's where the Italian comes in, every few notes special in some way (staccato, tenuto, accent, etc.). On top of that, make some kind of pattern between octaves or closely related notes that stays consistent throughout a section. (Basically an ostinato)
I don't play a lot of metal, but I know you will use the minor scales a lot.

Hopefully I am at least some help. I'm horrible at explaining, or maybe this is more of a subconscious right-brained thing for me.
When I play, I don't think about each note. I think the big picture (what key is it in, what are the chords, etc) and how I want to execute it. The rest comes naturally.
>>
File: 1469008001155.jpg (32KB, 720x676px) Image search: [Google]
1469008001155.jpg
32KB, 720x676px
>>180540
Thanks for sticking with me man!
So you say play like little tintontin type of runs? With the scale's notes and or arpeggios? And yeh I've noticed that some bassists never take puses they might just solo real quick between a break or something like that. That seems really fun
I've been looking into arpeggios they seem good for soloing (which I also need help in lol)
>Rests are notes too
That's so true man. Everyone always forgets that! I'm sure I do.
Kinda lost me in the itallian m8 kek
But I'll look those terms up and see how that goes. And the octave patterns, that seems interesting to me. I'll look into that as well.
I haven't noticed the minor scale thing but that's because I've also no clue on how to tell keys.

And you've been great help man. I thank you for sticking with me, I'm pretty behind for having been playing two years.
But I've been taking bass more seriously this year. Been looking at more lessons and basically started from zero.

I too will go to sleep so I hope this thread is still alive when I wake up.
>>
Bump so it can last a bit longer
>>
>>180555
Hey, this thread survived! Let's see if I can make coherent sentences now...
Runs are just one thing you can do to embellish your style. It's all improv, and what feels right at the moment.
When using scales, decide what tone and kind of sound you want and highlight certain notes. Also, certain notes naturally lead to others, (4ths go to 3rds and 5ths, 7ths go to the octave) but that doesn't mean you always have to use them that way. Be creative.

Staccato means play a note short, tenuto is long. You don't need to consciously decide which marking you want to do. What I'm saying is feel the form of the bassline, and give it personality. Don't just do "note. note. note. note..." The best thing about an amplified instrument is you can hear the subtle differences from how you touch the strings (both hands matter!) You can use your other fingers to mute the string at the perfect time.

Something else, you mentioned "following the guitar" earlier. It's good to listen to the other instruments while developing your own. Also listen to the drums, and try to match their energy.

Like I said earlier, just keep practicing and trying new things. No one can tell you how to develop YOUR style, but you can listen to what others do and draw inspiration from it. Think of how much progress you made in the past two years, but from now on you won't need to be worrying about the basics. Now that you know how to play, you will only get better.
>>
>>180843
Ayy Yeah I'm glad it's still up. I don't wanna spam /wsr/ cause I know we all get pist at that.
Do those notes always work like that? Or do you mean the fourth note in X scale?

I didn't have time to look up the Italiani lingo. Thanks for explaining it man.
We do play some notes like such (short n longer). But I tend to play 16th notes because I find it more entertaining.
We still don't have a drummer either. I've been looking at some videos and they too have said to think like a percussionist. I guess that works, so I'll try it out.

Man I'd love to hear you play man you sound very talented, how long have you been playing?
Thanks for all the advice man I'll archive this thread to look at it later on. You've been great help.
And I feel as though I should worry about te boring basics cause I've been feeling stuck in the same place lately. I tend to practice daily but no progress and I want to change that.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.