[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

No signal to GPU or monitor

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 4

File: vga.jpg (52KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
vga.jpg
52KB, 640x480px
New to building computers here and I recently built my own, but I'm having problems when I try connecting my VGA cable into my GPU. The only way my monitor can turn on is when I plug the HDMI cable into the motherboard and when I try to use a VGA/HDMI cable directly into the GPU, the GPU stops working and my monitor doesn't even turn on. I would love some help here!

Full PC Build: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/p3ZzQ7
>>
I would help you but you chose Intel which is a dirty grimy disgusting company.
>>
>>180214
Again, I know jack-shit about computers so I just chose an inexpensive build but honestly I would love any help, even if I made a shitty decision.
>>
>>180212
When you plug in your VGA/HDMI into the GPU card, do you still have an HDMI cable plugged into the motherboard?

If yes, disconnect the HDMI cable from the motherboad GPU and try the PCIe/AVG GPU again.

If no, check the BIOS and make sure the correct GPU is enabled.
>>
>>180220
No I don't, and how can I check BIOS when I have it connected to my motherboard? This is the only way my monitor can actually get power to it
>>
>>180222
>This is the only way my monitor can actually get power to it
I think you mean data. Your power source should be a wall outlet, not the HDMI port on your PC.

Connect the HDMI cable form the monitor to your motherboard, reboot the PC and use the "Enter Setup" command (it usually blinks on the screen for a few seconds after your mobo's manufacturer info - usually an F-key or the Escape key).

Once you're in the BIOS look for "GUI", "Graphics", or "Video" options and make sure the PCIe/AVG GPU is enabled.
>>
>>180226
The only thing in BIOS I see related to GPU is "Load Optimized GPU OC Setting" and the options for enabling that include "1400MHz", "1500MHz", and "1600MHz", should I enable any of that?
>>
>>180239
No, that's not what you're looking for.

One more time - reboot the PC while your HDMI is connected to your mobo and pay close attention to the screen as it loads.

You should have a screen that says your RAM count, hard drive IDs, and GPU info after the mobo manufacturer's info but before Windows starts.

Do you see anything related to your EVGA GeForce card as it boots up?
>>
>>180247
Okay I just switched my Primary Graphics Adapter to PCI Express and that was under my Chipset Configuration.
>>
>>180247
And I see nothing about my EVGA GeForce >>180247
card here.
>>
>>180258
Good eye!

>>180260
That's actually good - it seems like your video card may not be seated into the PCIe slot properly.

Power off the PC, open it up, reseat the card, and be sure to lock it into place using the little tab attached to the slot.

Try the GPU card's HDMI port again and report back with results.
>>
>>180267
I reseated it and it still says my monitor has no signal from the HDMI port in my GPU.
>>
>>180274
I'm out of ideas. If you did the troubleshooting I told you to do and it's still not working you may have a DOA video card.

Can you get a replacement from store/website as per their return policy?
Do you have another video card we can use to test the PCIe slot?
>>
>>180278
I do not have another video card to test, and it could be a defective video card, if so that fucking sucks man.
>>
>>180284
It does - but shipping these parts usually means that they're exposed to freezing temperatures, and cold kills electronics. It's very common for shipped parts to arrive dead, you've got to make sure you buy from sites/stores that have a comprehensive return policy.

Where did you but the GPU card from?
>>
>>180286
Amazon, but I bought it used so I am not surprised it's not working.
>>
>>180212
did you plug in the 2 power connectors on the top.
>>
>>180289
Likely no return policy, then. That BLOWS, dude - I am sorry! You might want to try contacting Amazon to see if they can do anything to replace the card or refund your money.

>>180311
It's a graphics card, there shouldn't be power connectors on top - it gets it's power through the 16-contact PCIe slot.
>>
>>180326
>It's a graphics card, there shouldn't be power connectors on top - it gets it's power through the 16-contact PCIe slot.

Some boards need extra power and there will be a connector on one edge of the board if it does. It wont work without power being supplied if it has the extra port.
>>
File: thumb.jpg (33KB, 630x354px) Image search: [Google]
thumb.jpg
33KB, 630x354px
>>180326
>>
>>180330
Not the case with this GeForce GTX 970, and OP's 750W Power Supply should be more than enough to handle this GPU card.
>>
>>180338
>>180339
>Not the case with this GeForce GTX 970
No, wait - I was wrong! Your pic and every other pic I find has those ports on top.

OP - are these ports plugged in?
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (94KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
94KB, 1280x720px
>>180339
>>
>>180346
Yeah, see:
>>180345
>>
>>180346
OP here, went to Best Buy to figure this shit out and they got nothing and yes they are!
>>
>>180543
Heya OP, hope you had fun with all these idiots who like to feel they're helping but don't even know that GPUs have power connectors.

Graphics cards get their power from two places:

- the PCIe slot, which is powered by the "+4" pins of the motherboard 20+4 pin power connector
- the "PCIe power connectors", which are on top of the card itself, usually near the back

You need to make sure that:

- You're using a 24-pin motherboard connector (not a 20-pin one, or a 20/24-pin one with the +4 pins not plugged in)
- You're connecting every power connector on the card to the PSU, using a separate wire for each
- You're not overloading any one PSU rail

Your PSU is a split-rail system, so if you draw more than 240W (20A) from one rail, it'll sag, and either switch off or just fail to deliver 12V properly. For your PSU, it's absolutely critical that you hook the GPU up with one of the red hardwired connectors (VGA1), and one of the red modular connectors (VGA3). Your PSU has two hardwired GPU connectors, but they both share a rail.

It's often possible to plug EPS 8-pin connectors into a GPU, even though they're meant to be keyed so you can't do this. On your PSU, they're coloured black. Do not plug black connectors into your GPU.
>>
>>180619
>hope you had fun with all these idiots who like to feel they're helping but don't even know that GPUs have power connectors.
Can you even see us from up there on your high horse, ya prick?
>>
>>180703
Any horse seems high when yours is 16 feet underground
>>
>>180703
I'll just leave this here.

Remember, you're the one that thinks he should be *giving* technical advice.

>>180326
>It's a graphics card, there shouldn't be power connectors on top - it gets it's power through the 16-contact PCIe slot.
>>
>>180816
>Remember, you're the one that thinks he should be *giving* technical advice.

I'm A+ and Net+ certified, and I provided tech support for 10 years for a food distribution company, yet I never came across a graphics card with power connectors on top. In my experience they're the outlier, not the standard.

Fuck right off with your shitty smug attitude.
>>
>>181004
If that is true, then you are just not qualified for THIS kind of technical advice. Deal with it.
99% of gaming graphics cards since 2005 have power connectors.
If this is a foreign concept to you, then you've been living under a rock for way too long to be giving any advice in that field. Freshen up on how the world of today is looking, then come back.
>>
Tech supports these days... thinking fixing cash registers at McDonalds magically gives them the knowledge to fix any modern system while attempting to proll with Indian phone support level certiificates.
>>
File: 3a1.jpg (36KB, 600x467px) Image search: [Google]
3a1.jpg
36KB, 600x467px
>>181022
>>181029
>>
>>181004
hahaha holy shit.

i'm so embarrassed for you m8, i'm so sorry.
>>
>>181004
>I'm A+ and Net+ certified, and I provided tech support for 10 years for a food distribution company, yet I never came across a graphics card with power connectors on top. In my experience they're the outlier
Hahahahahahahaha.

PCIe power connectors have been around for over a decade, and in the A+ "qualification" almost as long. Literally every graphics card more powerful than onboard graphics uses them.

Perhaps you need to take a refresher? Or just stick with telling people's moms to try turning it off and on again?
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.