[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How Fucked Am I? I disabled USB devices on my PC...

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2

File: OhGosh.jpg (4KB, 185x82px) Image search: [Google]
OhGosh.jpg
4KB, 185x82px
I was doing a bit of troubleshooting on my pc (I'm on a laptop to post this) when I accidentally disabled "USB controller" in my MSI BIOS... that means my usb devices don't work (keyboard/mouse/fucking everything) Which means I can't get back into the BIOS on startup to re-enable the USB Controller...

Am I fucked? if so how hard am I fucked?
>>
PS/2 Keyboard and Mouse? That'd be my first idea.
>>
>>179211
Don't have them unfortunately :/ Might have to take a drive to the store tomorrow to get some.
>>
ok I unplugged CMOS battery for 10mins and plugged it back in. Keyboard works in BIOS again but doesn't work anywhere else ;-;

life is shit friends
>>
>>179229
So use it in the BIOS to turn the USB back on.

Duh.
>>
>>179251

Oh sorry I forogt to mention that unplugging and plugging the CMOS battery back in resets the BIOS, so the USB Controller option is turned back on.

But I'm back to the original problem that caused me to accidentally change the USB controller settings in the first place. Which is; when windows boots my mouse and keyboard don't work, but my headset and CTL480 Tablet do :/

Thanks for your suggestion though
>>
>>179254
Plug them into a different port.

This is enough to make Windows think they're different devices.

If this doesn't work, get another computer, open Computer Management, and Action-->Connect to another computer, then sort it from there.
>>
>>179254
Try disabling power saving options for USB ports?
>>
>>179259
Tried every port but had no success :(

To connect to my PC remotely I would need to add a Remote Desktop User which I can't do without a keyboard and mouse. Thanks for the suggestion though.
>>
File: gg241210.wmi2.jpg(en-us)[1].jpg (53KB, 434x366px) Image search: [Google]
gg241210.wmi2.jpg(en-us)[1].jpg
53KB, 434x366px
>>179273
No you don't.

You just need your admin password.

Why are you asking for help if you're just going to poo-poo every idea without even trying it?
>>
>>179271
I think they are already disabled since all general power saving options are disabled, can't find one specifically for USB though :( Thanks for the suggestion.
>>
>>179280
Sorry I didn't know how to connect to another computer so I googled it. That's where I found information telling me I needed to set up a "remote user profile". I'll try to find out how to do it using just my admin password now. Thanks for you patience, I genuinely do try every suggestion.
>>
>>179280
Well I've connected to my PC now but I can't access anything since I don't have a certain setting in my remote connections on my PC enabled so I keep getting an access denied error message. Thanks for your suggestion though.
>>
>>179208
get a usb to ps2 adapter.
>>
>>179298
might have to do this tomorrow :/

I've turned my pc off and on about 50 times today and now it's saying "scanning and repairing drive" so hopefully this fixes it... slim chance but I'm hoping for the best c:
>>
I used to have your original problem on an old computer I picked up. This sounds stupid but hook up all of the usb devices and anything else you need plugged in for everyday use. Then turn it on and leave it on overnight. Having usb devices turned off, or even it not being used for a while is enough for it to unload drivers. if you wait with it on overnight it will start to recognize the devices and load/install the necessary drivers.
>>
>>179304
Really? That sounds too good to be true, but I'll definitely give it a shot tonight, thanks! c:
>>
>>179300
well, no luck, it got to 56% then pc restarted randomly
>>
doing system restore, please work
>>
>>179298
This won't work unless your keyboard is a USB-and-PS/2 keyboard.

The adapter is just a passive doohickey that changes the shape of the plug; all the being-a-ps/2 electronics is in the keyboard.

You're way better getting a ps/2 keyboard.

Also be aware that if your keyboard is a "USB Composite Device" (for instance if it's a wireless keyboard/mouse, or if it has LEDs or some shit), then it won't work in Windows until Windows installs the drivers, and Windows won't install the drivers until you use the keyboard to log on.
>>
>>179323
didn't work
>>
>>179327
So I need to get a ps/2 keyboard and troubleshoot my problem further from there?
>>
>>179333
Probably all you need to do is get a ps/2 keyboard and log on.

Safe mode may well also work.
>>
>>179339
Logging on isn't the solution unfortunately, a drawing tablet I have allows me to log on by tapping the on screen keyboard. However once I log on it loads the drivers settings for the tablet, and part of my settings for the tablet is to disable every button on it for a game I play, so I can't do anything with the the tablet besides hover over things. So logging on doesn't seem to trigger any driver updates/installations :( Thanks for your suggestion though
>>
>>179347
Boot off a Windows DVD/USB, press shift-f10, and then use the command prompt to rename the .exe that loads and clobbers your tablet.
>>
>>179356
I think I only have a Windows 7 disc. I will try this after I am finished trying a system restore using the command prompt, thanks for the advice, that'll save me from having to buy a ps/2 keyboard and mouse :)
>>
Ok couldn't do the system restore without a windows cd. And I can't find my windows 7 cd anywhere. I'm going to bed now... the conclusion of this thread is I'm pretty fucked.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.